MOD Holotape naming convention

neokio

Two weeks ago, a group of mod authors, heroes all, got together and averted a disaster of biblical proportion.
THE PROBLEM
After the GECK was released last month, mods with configuration holotapes used very different naming methods. This made a mess of user inventories, making it increasingly difficult to find the mod they wanted to interact with. The problem was only getting worse as new mods emerged. For example ...
AID
"WOTC Spawn Configuration"
-=JOURNEY=-
MISC
(MOD - Don't Call Me Settler) Setup Holotape
Beantown Interiors Options Holotape
[MOD Settings] DYNAVISION
[MOD] Outfit Auto-Swap
THE SOLUTION
We came up with and agreed upon a standard:
[settings] Beantown Interiors
[settings] Don't Call Me Settler
[settings] DYNAVISION
[settings] JOURNEY
[settings] Outfit Auto-Swap
[settings] War Of The Commonwealth
The guidelines for the above are simple:
  1. Use the prefix [settings] ... capital S, lowercase ettings, followed by a single space.
  2. Use your mod name, without the words "Configuration", "Options", "Setup", or "Holotape"
The latest version of Valdacil's "DEF_UI" and "VIS" already sorts and adds icons to [settings] beautifully, placing them into their own subcategory.
At some point, the Fallout 4 Mod Configuration Menu (MCM) will be released. Until then, we encourage all mod authors creating holotapes to use to the above.
It is recommended NOT to use AID items for settings. Stick to holotapes, which are categorized as MISC.

Below are the conversations that led to this conclusion.

Happy mod-making!
Edited by neokio

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[settings] <NameofMod> would be satisfactory, though I'd have to update the DEF_INV_TAGS.xml to account for it.

An alternative is that the two main current sorting mods are VIS and Bhaal's (I'm not including BIS because it hasn't been updated since January and thus isn't compatible with game update 1.5) both use the same tag for Holotapes: [Holotape]. If authors used that tag, then users of DEF_UI wouldn't have to change anything to get an icon for the holotapes. The only issue there is that the settings holotapes would be sorted into the list with the other holotapes. Personally, I've been opening up the .esps of the ones I've downloaded and naming them things like:

[Holotape] [Mod] Settlement Management Software

That way, they are sorted with the other holotapes, receive a DEF_UI icon, and get put in the Holotape rollup. However, the second tag [Mod] causes them to all be grouped together so I don't have to search within Holotapes.

So short answer is 2 alternatives:

1) [settings] <ModName>

This keeps them together, but requires sorting mod authors (who are the ones who write DEF_INV_TAGS.xml files) to take extra steps to account for them.

2) [Holotape] [Mod] <ModName>

Keeps them together within holotapes, assigns the existing icon if using DEF_UI, adds them to the Holotape rollup if using DEF_UI, and works within the existing systems/mods requiring no updates or changes to account for them. This is my recommendation.

As a side note, If using DEF_UI, it replaces the icon of both [Holotape] and [Mod] with the holotape icon, so you don't see the second tag... but items are still grouped by the hidden name so all mod added holotapes would be grouped together.

Awesome response!

From a usability standpoint, I see a few benefits of [settings] over [Holotape] [Mod]:

• [Holotape] [Mod] is (in my opinion) slightly more ambiguous and misleading in a few ways: (1) The word MOD is used in-game for weapon/armor components. (2) All the other [Holotape]s are messages or mini-games. (3) It would be the only case I've seen of an inventory item starting with 2 bracketed words.
  • [settings] is instructive and concise for non-VIS users (fools!), it describes itself precisely.
  • "Inventory > MISC" is easier to access (one fewer click to get to) than "Inventory > MISC > Holotapes". For me, so far, this has been nice, since VIS keeps the MISC top-level so clean ... but Inventory > MISC > Settings would be very efficient as well.
  • Both with and without VIS, having settings grouped next to other holotapes is more demanding on the user (more reading and thought)
  • If the current trend continues, there will be more and more mods with settings, enough to warrant special treatment in the DEF_INV_TAGS.xml

From a let's-get-sh*t-done standpoint, Valdacil, your involvement ensures a result. If you perceive [Holotape] [Mod] as the better choice, then hell yeah.

How shall we proceed?

Edited by neokio

I certainly see your point and it makes sense. I guess the biggest thing is buy-in. If this is only used by a handful of authors, then it is somewhat moot.

Realistically speaking, it doesn't matter which way it goes, just that there is a standard. If a standard is set and I need to update lyrConf.xml and DEF_INV_TAGS.xml to account for it, that's not a big deal (and I can notify Bhaal also), but that is ultimately pointless if authors don't follow the standard. I suggested the solution that I am currently using because it works within the existing construct of sorting mods.

Maybe I'll go change my setup today to use [settings] instead and try it out. :)

Agreed. As I was creating my mod, which is using a holotape for the settings. I realized the same thing. We need a universal form of naming that everyone could try and follow. What was suggested was my exact thoughts on the idea. Also, people being aware and hopefully making a second version or so, to work with item sorters. All of which I am doing.

Edited by neotropic

So far I've only had positive response from the authors I've contacted, which is very exciting.

My sense is that the need for this is already apparent to most, and that whatever we decide here could become the standard.

(And again, hopefully, one that's obsoleted when an MCM-like solution emerges :)

I'll continue pointing people to this forum to increase traction and momentum.

@Valdacil: Edge of my seat for your [settings] verdict!
@neotropic: Cogwheels, totally! Google images search on the word "settings" results in mostly cogwheels, so no doubt that's the best iconic meme. It does resemble the vault symbol, but that's really cool actually. And the only real alternative is hammer and wrench (yuck).

a1a3a6a9 (maker of Don't Call Me Settler) says that after he switched from [] to (), which sorts closer to the top, people stopped complaining about not finding his holotapes.

Personally, of all the things inside MISC, settings are what I access the most. Top-sorted seems more useful to me.

But more mods use [], so perhaps there's a reason. Is there?

Are there any reasons NOT to use (Settings) instead of [settings]?

Edited by neokio

I figure I'll officially join the convo here. I've been in communication with neokio via PMs about this and I'm all on board, we had discussed a different possibility but with the constraints of the CK and Papyrus, I believe we decided that it isn't currently or easily workable. Going forward (and with updates to existing) all of my mods with menus will follow this standard. So far, that would apply to two, JOURNEY, and RuleBreaker. As far as what that standard should be, I can see the appeal of (Settings) over [settings] for non-sorting users.

Edit: Oh, JOURNEY currently uses an aid item instead of a holotape, I also have no issue with converting to a terminal/holotape and my opinion is that holotapes are definitely the way to go, I think once a naming standard is decided upon, we should also set standards for the 'flow' of the menus, along with compiling a support document to assist authors in conforming to that standard, as well as possibly providing a bit of a FAQ to assist with terminal setup. As well as a standardized way of implementing the item so that its added after the vault. I still have trouble with that, myself.

Edited by Maduin81