Where will the next Fallout be?

jukehero461

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three places come to mind when thinking of the location of a new fallout game, Pacific Northwest, Montana/Wyoming, and San Francisco. The game should be set between 2276 and 2282. It is kind of hard to believe that 200 years have passed and the only countries are the NCR and Legion.

One thing that would be nice to see would be a town that can from a vault that used a GECK. It would be nice to see a vault that didn't go badly. Also having a minor quest centered around finding a vault that still has sane people living in it that haven't left for some reason. Bethesda developers have take the "Vaults weren't ment to save anyone" mentality too far in my opinion. Some of the experiment must have been non lethal and wacky. A vault filled with semi crazy people would be fun. By crazy I mean manic or some other eccentricity not mouth foaming death inflicting people.

Pacific Northwest: Would have to introduce new factions not seen in previous games. The NCR is expanding South and East not north. NV hasn't established that the NCR has gone farther north that Redding, but has gone into Baja. If the Legion could take most of the west coast, they would have the NCR. The Brotherhood is too weak to send a contingent north to Seattle/Vancouver/Portland. The technology sector in our Seattle would parallel in the fallout world to some extent. Since the Pacific Northwest isn't as densely populated as L.A. it would't be as high of a priority. The Pacific Northwest could include Vancouver, allowing the players and developers test the waters of a game with a Canadian based faction being a major part of the game. Another faction I would introduce would be a faction based on army remnants. Not like the Brotherhood, but ones that would set up an oppressive dictatorship. Also would be nice to see a republic that didn't lose its soul like the NCR. The northern climate would also be more green. The low priority and wet climate wouldn't be as easily damaged as the near desert of L.A. and Vegas. Also not being a primary target is easier to believe than House's missile defense system being built under the nose of the Pre war military and Enclave. Also a truly large game map is possible, Skyrim was huge and worth exploring unlike the NV map. Could fit from Portland to Vancouver into a game and make it work. Might have to fiddle with the scale but it could work.

Montana/Wyoming: Would be almost a completely rural game. One of the NV endings for the Khans has them leave for Wyoming and joins with the Followers. The developers must have planned this to leave and opening in the Northern Plains states. Would have to create another faction to serve as the antagonist/protagonist depending on player choice. This region would be just as much a blank slate as the Pacific Northwest. Could go badly, this could turn into a fallout set skyrim.

San Francisco: The Shi were left unmentioned in New Vegas. This leaves the possibility that the SF area ins't under the NCR yet. The Shi are more advanced and would be a good rival for the NCR. The Shi could be what the Brotherhood couldn't, a super advanced faction that has the will to recruit people. Also could say some Enclave remnants joined the Shi to be protected from the NCR and Brotherhood. The Shi want new science and tech and would want Enclave personnel to back engineer Enclave tech. Modern CA has north/south tensions, these wouldn't have just died with the war. The Shi could be using this to rise to power. The NCR is centered around Southern California, also Hanlon said the NCR has drained most of its lakes. Northerners now don't like the idea of Southerners taking water from the North, these tensions would be strengthened in drought stricken post apocalypse CA. Also could just have the Shi win and have a DLC where people in the Redding/Sacramento areas revolt against the NCR.

Also could explore Legion society. Oblivion set the tone that the other Tamrellic provinces didn't like the Empire. Then play Skyrim and the Nords love the Empire. Could show that there is more to the Legion than slavery and barbarism.

THINGS THAT SHOULD NOT BE DONE: Bring back the Enclave as a major, plot driving faction. The Enclave was decisively defeated at the end of Fallout 3. Any presence more than an out post and some non hostile patrols will be had to believe. Having them be a minor faction would be fine, but them having a large pool of recruits will be hard to justify.

Having a Brotherhood faction. The Brotherhood on the west coast has been severely weakened by the NCR. Any detachment leaving for where ever after Fallout 2 would be hard to explain because the NCR and Brotherhood would have been at war. The capitol wasteland branch is easy to explain because of Liberty Prime being found. I'M NOT trying to rule out a group of Capitol wasteland Brotherhood or Midwestern, they would be strong enough to do this.

Setting the game in New York. Even if NYC is in good enough shape for a game after the Great War, it is pretty much a cliche to set a game in NYC. Every GTA clone and sequel is in NYC or something that resembles it. Also a modern warfare game already blew NYC to hell.

Using caps when other currency is introduced. Do I need to explain this one? New Vegas hyped the new currency then made it into a weightless junk item.

Also something that made me mad about New Vegas was that the larger map was hyped by the developers. When I explored away from outer Vegas, there was nothing to find. This was annoying because the NV map was supposed to be bigger. Also some areas weren't accessible. Go to Brooks Tumbleweed ranch and walk up the road to the cars in the hole. You can't pass it, maybe with pc comands, but not in the vanilla game.

The series as a whole needs to expand beyond the original games. Start a game in a new region that hasn't been defined or expand on the Midwest or East coast. The old games have their place, but the series needs to have a future. The Elder scrolls games show this well, each game is independent in some ways. Morrowind didn't seem to affect Oblivion and Skyrim is still somewhat independent of Oblivion. Also, the writing needs to be like Fallout 3 or Oblivion. Meaning a deep story, a few side quests and a few fetch quests for money when needed. NV and Skyrim are decent games, but the writing sucks compared to their predecessors. Skyrim had slightly better graphics to give it the epicness, the developers can't rely on this.

Edited by trob1000

Fallout: Detroit

Detroit is an industrial town, as well as a cultural town. Many many things could be made here; cars, parts, guns, tanks, robots, etc. The town is also big in the arts and music industry too. Detroit would be a target for bombing, but seeing how the town makes tons of stuff, they would have probably been like Las Vegas and have a defense system up. I know of several DLC ideas already (Ann Arbor/University of Michigan is a huge university in engineering and medicine, Windsor, Midland/Dow is HQed there[/size]. Detroit would probably have a large drug center too, knowing the city today. The Brotherhood and the Enclave might have something to do in the city, as well as maybe a new organization. It would also be interesting to have a DLC in Northern Michigan, or the UP, where there are less people and probably less damage.

Florida:

Is was never a completed game, I think it would be nifty to restart the idea :3

Fallout: Tokyo

What happens to Japan? I don't recall hearing much about them! They would most certainly have something to do with the history, other than Toshiro Kago in Mothership Zeta, but he was abducted by the aliens. I think Tokyo would be a wonderful place to explore, heck maybe they rebuilt completely! Well, maybe at least to a livable city of maybe 1/5 of the size.

Europe or China/Russia

Why not see the world through the European eyes, or through the eyes of the red?

my idea Hawaii. dunno why because of the great amount of water and new possible enemies,underwater combat and underwater vaults. the second idea is alaska. there is nothing out there a perfect hiding spot for the enclave or communists or something far more dangerous and the terrain would be harder because of rare civilization and snow. and of course the invisible walls xD

• 1 month later...

im hoping alaska, i have alaska on the brain (i have been playing metal gear solid and i watched 30 days of the night lastnight) lol

i know its been done, but maybe a proper game on it, not just dlc

edit; wouldnt mind NYC or some other large metropolis.

Edited by beeblebub

I actually hope its going to be where the recent rumor said it would be; Boston.

The city has a great history which the Bethesda dev team will undoubtedly use.

But the main reason would be that it seems like Bethesda doesn't want to intrude or mix any of their Fallout lore with the original lore of Interplay and they probably won't go to the west coast because of it.

Washington D.C. was a great change of scenery from the old west coast set up, especially with the add-ons such as Point Look-out.

Personally, I hope it takes place somewhere like New Orleans, Boston, Chicago or something along those lines ;)

• 4 weeks later...

My idea. Where ever they decide to have Fallout 4, it needs to be huge. Remember Just Cause 2? Now imagine a Fallout world of that scale. Run it like skyrim and oblivion to cut out load times unless traveling into a closed zone.

My ideas ensue:

Increase the draw distance so we could build up our small guns ( or whatever its new equivalent will be ) and sit back on the ledge of a cliff and place well aimed shots down into a bandit strong hold. Over a mile away ( may require anti material rifle lol, or match grade .308 ammo and high magnification scope.

Introduce physics to gun play. Are you sitting on a hill a few thousand yards away just wishing you could waste that raider sitting in his chair minding his own business!!!! You can. You just need to compensate for bullet drop. I can hear the complaints. NOOOOO you will scream. this isnt Battlefield. Wah. bullets drop. deal with it. Make this a selectable option if need be. for added difficulty.

Focus a little more on the gunplay, not make it the center, but work it to be more fluid. Play RAGE yet? It had fantastic gunplay ( i think ) for a semi explorative shooter. Iron sights are a fantastic addition to the fallout world. Now make it so shooting outside of V.A.T.S isn't akin to pissing into the wind.

Gun mods: More please. Heck, how about MORE types of guns. It was unfortunate that most weapons had mods that were sometimes useful, and useless. And when i say mods i mean who says we have to stick to 50's era of weaponry ( sans the hi-tech alien stuff and blasters/casters ). Meaning introduce weapons that were " experimental" and can be found in certain areas of the game. Fore grips for recoil control, decorative gun modifications ( please...no CoD of BF# remarks )

Akin to gun mods, perhaps have NPC's and allies remark or comment on our gear. Say we have an AR, even a generic named Battle Rifle if you will ( not a Halo reference ) and we have a few gun mods attached, like a suppressor, a match trigger ( removes auto fire and adds semi-auto with better control ) , an assault scope, and a sweet new NON shiny black paintjob ( lessens light refraction increasing your stealth ability. ) They should comment like "Thats a mighty fine gun you got there boss" or something.

Ammo is just fine, keep the Fallout NV multiple ammo types and you are golden.

Wearable gear. Hmm. I would like to see further customization implemented. Meaning instead of a 1 named set being a complete outfit, how about the ability to mix and match so i could for instance put on separate boots, pants, shirt, coat, hat, face-wear, gloves and the such. Really give us a sense of creating OUR character.

NPC interaction. I would absolutely love it to death if our characters had a voice. A personality. Where we could take with out followers, talk to npcs, have a sense of being alive instead of some mute death machine packing enough hardware to wage a one maner against the Legion. Twice. Also perhaps where NPC's address us by our name and not some ridiculous title of "wanderer". Even if its a hard set name in the game. Jim. Jenny. Steve. Sha-nay nay. Whatever. I want to feel immersed, not out of place.

Interaction with the environment. This will be played upon on a later subject btw. But when moving around the environment, i hope the next one makes you feel more agile. In 3 and NV you felt like a whale with an eating disorder. Make character builds matter. Bring in something LIKE skyrim, not a copy, but some sort of character editor. Where if i want to be a muscle bound brute 5' 4" that specializes in big guns i can and make the build affect my play. If you are a big character, expect to carry more gear, but have less Action points, less agility, and more resistance to being knocked down or stunned. Smaller characters would be the opposite, more easily stunned, less carry cap, but faster, more agile but perhaps harder to hit with bullets. ( reason being smaller character means smaller target resulting in less chance of being hit, but getting hit has higher chance of critical damage to you from lack of bustling muscles? )

Weather. Remember interacting with the environment. Say for a new hardcore mode, EVERYTHING matters. If you are wearing big metal power armor in the cold and snowy mountains your are to be more easily sapped of strength and agility lugging around very cold metal armor. where as if you were wearing say ( lets use NV stuff as an example here) the NCR veteran rangers riot helmet plus ensemble, you wouldn't be so affected by the cold. Cold affection easily being shaky aim from cold and tired hands. Wearing gloves alleviates shaky hands. Same with wet environments, constantly wet clothing should sap you action points ( i.e. stamina i suppose ) same with wearing a lot of gear in a hot environment.

Addition to weather. Those ideas were just that. ideas. honestly just having some sort of weather could be amazing. Since there is still prominent radiation, how about acid rain storms that can quickly fatigue you if you dont take shelter under something or in a building. how about creatures that only come out in certain weather conditions. Weather can affect your gear. weapons. etc. guns will break down faster in the rain unless you maintain them more often. for example. Rain drops make looking through scopes harder. with the effect that rain also muffles your movements allowing you an easier stealth experience for strongholds or what not. Thunder can cover gun gunshots making you not necessarily require a suppressor. Lightning can hit anywhere. and anything. including you. Could be interesting. ( hardcore mode only, and not a insta death, maybe just a near death experience which would only serve to justify the "get your a** under some cover" concept for foul weather )

Movement. Like i said earlier, it could stand to be spritened up a tad. well maybe more than a tad. If we have decent agility level we should be able to FEEL more agile. jump a little higher, run faster, sprint longer ( yes we need a sprint button ). Perhaps even introduce 3 states of "being" Standing. Done. covered. Crouched. Also done. Pow. And a new one, Prone, could make for a serious boost to accuracy and stealth. not really sure of the cons for this one yet. Other than lack of response time if you are happened upon by unseen threats. Could make for a sweet new gun mod, bipods. Add them to Snipers and other rifle types.

More indepth control of our ally. Meaning we can remove their clothing ( no perversion meant ) and re outfit them in garb more suited for the mission or goal. Meaning if you felt like wasting a few hours exploring and wanted to be stealthy, outfit your follower in dark colored gear, give them weapon to suit. Also. LET FOLLOWERS USE MODIFIED WEAPONS! If i give my follower a weapon i have attached a suppressor to....its for them to be SILENT. Not for them to just remove all modifications and blast merrily on everything that thinks they know i am close.

Holy. Crap. Long post yes. you may or may not approve of my ideas. Regardless. It's hard to find a good Fallout thread anymore. I'm really hoping they un the ante with FO4. New game engine. Better graphics, don't skimp on voice actors. and eye candy. Lots of it. not the Megan Fox ( for the guys ) or Channing Tatum ( for the girls ) type of eye candy. I mean spectacular environments. Environments that react to our presence. to gunfire. to explosions. to fire. Environments that feel alive.

One last thing. Hardcore mode should make it feel like it really is just you, and an ally if you choose, against the world. Yeah thirst, hunger, and sleep deprivation should matter, but make them feel like they matter. Don't eat....lose strength... Don't drink....get stunned super easy and stay KO'd for longer. Don't sleep. Things can get nasty. Randomly pass out. even in the middle of a fight even. Wake up trapped. Use your skills to escape. Use your imagination Bethesda. Yeah people may want Fallout to stick only to lore and there are some that want FO1/2 back. Well this is the new age of gaming. Take FO4 to places never been. To heights FO hasn't been to yet. Create an entirely new chapter of Fallout Lore.

My two cents.

IMO the next fallout game has to cover three things.

1. the annexation of canada. This is mentioned in two games but nothing is shown. There's a perfect setting for a new faction the descendants of freedom fighters who fought against american occupation.\

2. Better consequences. S. I can side with the NCR legion or free NV. I want ramification like NCR getting seriously crippled from my actions.

3. References to the other characters.

The courier has a long history. What about the lone wanderer? He can't return to vault 101 He's a member of the BOS why isn't he recruiting more people or travelling west?

• 4 months later...

It makes the most sense to have it in the Pacific Northwest from San Francisco up to Canada.

Why?

A brand-new setting. Lots of countryside, mountains, greenery - creepy - chance for some savage tribal/cannibal faction (villages with skulls).

A creepy cold/wet city, in some parts of San Francisco. In terms of atmosphere think Necropolis. (Of course the city part should not be over-done - I think DC was too much crawling around ruins and tunnels, NV had about the right balance except the city was in the middle of everything and took up too much room - the city (including all joined peripheryes) should only be a corner about 15% of the map max).

A connection to the main backstory of the games - a distopic US, and the war - it could touch on the Canadian annexation. (maybe have some leftover technology from the occupation forces - some helicopters, tanks, trucks, - ie helicopter crashed - all over the place - some leftover uniforms, weapons you can find) Also the chance of a Canadian faction, or a repressive occupation-force remnant faction.

By having San Francisco, the game could also "touch on" the original Fallout Games without another NV-style rehash (which wasn't bad - in fact exept for the misplaced music (BOS bunker without the metal monks music!!!!!) it was good - but you can't do that yet again). You could have a civilized corner of the city at furthest south-east. That would provide something familiar, more of a peaceful RPG type experience connected to the old games - for those that want to see the Shi or enjoy a more quaint RPG style of gameplay - ie helping to build civilization.

Most factions could easily be ported there - having a break-away faction of the Midwest/Chicago Brotherhood as quasy-badguy faction you can join, like the legion but cleaner ie. no slaving etc. (the midwest BOS is plenty distopic, and commits plenty of atrocityes - without going to the lengths the Legion does). The Enclave must have had some survivors, and thery love off-shore installations. West Coast BOS is also possible (besides the Chicago faction) they could have sent up a detachment before the BOS-NCR war (plenty of technology), or could have evacuated up there as a result of the war. Super mutants would definitely fit in up there. Maybe even a Chinese-Communist faction.

In short it has not been done, it has a connection to the storyline, but not an overwhelming one. (still fresh) Lots of atmosphere from creepy cannibal-filled mountains and valleys, to necropolises, to Canadian settlements, to war leftovers, (an abandoned marine or navy base maybe at the northern edge of San Francisco), to a civilization being built in the southernmost region of SanFran.

It has the potential for lots of content, and atmosphere.

There's also the process of elimination -

Southwest Desert has been done 3 times in the first two games, and NV - doing it in California would be just more of the same.

Could go down to Texas, but that's just more cowboys and desert.

East Coast has been done. FO3

North East - no offense - but there's not a lot there - unless you have a russian-remnant quasy-invasion of New England - but we'll save that for FO5.

Florida is swamps - some people would like that - but most wouldn't.

Southern States - too 1860's vibe - once again some people would like that - most would probably not.

The Midwest with the BOS there, and the Enclave outpost holds possibilityes - but not as much as the Pacific Northwest.

It'll probably be Northwest. I just hope they make the map nice and big and take advantage of all the possibilityes.

As for outside of the US - probably won't happen since the primary market is the US.

But it WOULD be cool to have a simulation of the war in (inavsion of) China, or the war on some pacific island, or an invasion of the US coast (or San Francisco harbor)from a Chinese perspective (think Korean war, and Korean war era tech, tanks, helicopters, carriers, planes - except nuclear) - which would be extremely cool.

BTW - NV has less animals than FO3 which is good - it would be good to have even less. (no respawning frikin' yao-guai every 5 minutes like DC) And no respawning raiders, (well maybe just a few) the dead should stay dead (mostly).

Well that's my opinion.

Edited by falcon4444