The tall tales & tragedies of the Chattering Scroll Inn

myrmaad

"Gods!" Reona exclaimed as Ellundil's shouting lit up the cave with a writhing inferno, her sword catching inside the neck of one of the undead when she flinched. She kicked the abomination in the chest and freed her blade, her lip curling up at the coldness of its body, and it fell to the ground with a muffled thump, its head hanging to the neck below only by a thin strip of flesh.

Almost automatically, another lunged at her, orange flames licking its emaciated body, its bony, vice-like hand gripping around her upper left arm and burning through her sleeve to the skin below. She flinched momentarily at its burning touch, then quickly switched her sword to her right hand, slicing off the zombie's arm at the elbow. The muscles in the arm slacked, and it released her. She kicked the zombie to the floor and smashed in its skull with the heel of her foot in one smooth motion, before switching her sword back to her left arm.

Another rushed at her, this one brandishing a sword and shield and wearing the tattered remains of light armor. She scowled and mumbled, "Barzul," under her breath as she blocked the sword of the draugr, as she'd heard the others refer to them, with her right gauntlet and slashed at its exposed right side, rendering its sword arm useless. She then grasped the draugr's head in her right hand and smashed it against the cave wall.

Panting heavily, Reona straightened up and looked around, surprised to see that all the draugr that were once before them now lay dead. She'd been vaguely aware of the flurry of motion around her, but she didn't think the others would have killed so many so fast.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ellundil had been cutting his way forward to the liches this entire time, he knew the others could handle the Necromancers. Ellundil also knew that if the liches weren't stopped soon, whatever it was they were summoning would be there very soon to tell them exactly what "it" is and probably wouldn't be polite enough to say why it was going to kill them, or why "it" wouldn't stay for afternoon tea.

Ellundil, as he rose his blade, shouted again, "FUS RO DAH!" he exclaimed.

Now the army of undead that was once before him had opened up a path to the liches, they were channeling magic but somehow still holding up a ward of protection that wouldn't let Ellundil through, so he had to destroy it, obviously.

He now sheathed his blade and prepared his spell, there was now a circle around him that was irradiating power and light, burning the undead foes that would wish to disturb him, then, finally he released the power he had been containing into a large beam of lightning. He was becoming furious with power, but he still focused it, more and more he focused, he was about half-way depleted of his power when the ward bust, knocking him backwards.

The undead had now filled the path he previously cleared, but he was not ready for another shout, so he sprinted forward with his blade risen high in the air and began slashing his foes once more. Bones flew through the air, and blades hit Ellundil's skin, but he recovered quickly, by many means of divine and self power. He now summoned another circle about him, and it healed him even further, curing him of the poison that was starting to seep through into his blood. Now they began to burn in a white-hot holy fire, and he plunged forward like a whirlwind, right into the lich's portal.

Edited by iansaltman

Ellundil had been cutting his way forward to the liches this entire time, he knew the others could handle the Necromancers. Ellundil also knew that if the liches weren't stopped soon, whatever it was they were summoning would be there very soon to tell them exactly what "it" is and probably wouldn't be polite enough to say why it was going to kill them, or why "it" wouldn't stay for afternoon tea.

Ellundil, as he rose his blade, shouted again, "FUS RO DAH!" he exclaimed.

Now the army of undead that was once before him had opened up a path to the liches, they were channeling magic but somehow still holding up a ward of protection that wouldn't let Ellundil through, so he had to destroy it, obviously.

He now sheathed his blade and prepared his spell, there was now a circle around him that was irradiating power and light, burning the undead foes that would wish to disturb him, then, finally he released the power he had been containing into a large beam of lightning. He was becoming furious with power, but he still focused it, more and more he focused, he was about half-way depleted of his power when the ward bust, knocking him backwards.

The undead had now filled the path he previously cleared, but he was not ready for another shout, so he sprinted forward with his blade risen high in the air and began slashing his foes once more. Bones flew through the air, and blades hit Ellundil's skin, but he recovered quickly, by many means of divine and self power. He now summoned another circle about him, and it healed him even further, curing him of the poison that was starting to seep through into his blood. Now they began to burn in a white-hot holy fire, and he plunged forward like a whirlwind, right into the lich's portal.

Kalin grabbed the last draughr and burned it in his grasp, the undead corpse turning into ash. He put out the nimbus of flames that shrouded him. He started to say something to Rhaine when he saw Ellundil dive into the portal. "BLOODY HELLS!" the soulknife screamed, "I TOLD YOU TO SHUT THE PORTAL, NOT GO IN IT!" With an aggravated growl, Kalin followed after the mad elf and jumped into the dimensional gate. What he saw on the other side was not encouraging.

"Oh gods protect us," he whispered at the sight before him. He'd been here once before...and had barely escaped with his life. "Thanatos!" And, in a clearing in front of him, was a structure he never wished to see again...Everlost, the palace of the demon prince Orcus. This is not good! Kalin drove forward and started searching frantically for Ellundil, hoping to find him before the Prince of the Undead finds him first. If the demon prince does...the elan shuddered. "Gods help us..."

Edited by GrueMaster

Rhaine shouted for Kalin, but it was too late. The elan had already vanished into the portal along with Ellundil. She could only hope that they could return the same way they entered.

Thought the draugr were destroyed, the liches were not. Upon seeing their horde smashed, they turned their ice-eyed gazes to the remaining adventurers.

Their attention diverted, the liches' portal closed with a snap.

Edited by AurianaValoria1

As the portal closed, Reona gasped, feeling the minds of her friends vanish. She could feel that they were alive, but could glean nothing else from the circlet. At least I'll know if something goes wrong, she thought, and focused on the liches before her and her friends, her eyes narrowing and her lip curling upward into a snarl. She tightened her grip on Arva's hilt until her knuckles turned white. Discontent with the stillness around herself, she decided to attack.

Hesitantly, she lunged forward, then ran toward the nearest lich and swung her sword overhead with both hands in what was sure to be a one-hit kill, until the lich loosed a bolt of lightning from its staff that sent her flying backward. She hit the ground below and everything seemed to go black for a split-second. Spots of crimson clouded her eyes and then danced in the periphery of her vision as she stood shakily and dashed once more toward the lich, this time roaring in frustration at its near domination of her. Faster than the eye could see, she sliced the lich from shoulder to hip, and its lifeless body split in two before uselessly falling to the ground. Standing over the body, she noticed that her circlet had fallen from around her brow and was tangled into her hair, and freed it from the mass of knots before placing it back atop her head with a self-satisfied smirk.

Be more careful! Arva yelled, and clutched at the roots of his hair with a worried expression, This isn't a game! You could die at any second! I can't protect you while you leave yourself open like this!

Stop worrying yourself, Reona replied, I'm perfectly aler-

Her sentence was cut off at the end as she was struck in her back with a frost spell.

Elllundil was as calm as ever, then he approached Kalin out of the shadows,

"You're being irrational," he stated. "This was my plan, the liches were almost finished summoning, and we wouldn't have been able to take them out before this undead lord was summoned, it's better he stays in here than out there, in fact I don't think he'll be bothering us very much," his voiced trailed off, "..this was my plan all along, I had to find a way to travel through dimensions, and now that you're here with me I suppose you will have to accompany me to Sovnegard, lets be off, if you will."

As the portal closed, Reona gasped, feeling the minds of her friends vanish. She could feel that they were alive, but could glean nothing else from the circlet. At least I'll know if something goes wrong, she thought, and focused on the liches before her and her friends, her eyes narrowing and her lip curling upward into a snarl. She tightened her grip on Arva's hilt until her knuckles turned white. Discontent with the stillness around herself, she decided to attack.

Hesitantly, she lunged forward, then ran toward the nearest lich and swung her sword overhead with both hands in what was sure to be a one-hit kill, until the lich loosed a bolt of lightning from its staff that sent her flying backward. She hit the ground below and everything seemed to go black for a split-second. Spots of crimson clouded her eyes and then danced in the periphery of her vision as she stood shakily and dashed once more toward the lich, this time roaring in frustration at its near domination of her. Faster than the eye could see, she sliced the lich from shoulder to hip, and its lifeless body split in two before uselessly falling to the ground. Standing over the body, she noticed that her circlet had fallen from around her brow and was tangled into her hair, and freed it from the mass of knots before placing it back atop her head with a self-satisfied smirk.

Be more careful! Arva yelled, and clutched at the roots of his hair with a worried expression, This isn't a game! You could die at any second! I can't protect you while you leave yourself open like this!

Stop worrying yourself, Reona replied, I'm perfectly aler-

Her sentence was cut off at the end as she was struck in her back with a frost spell.

Suddenly, Reona fell to a frost spell. "Damnit!" Rhaine cursed. Her elven eyes flicked from shadow to shadow, trying to spot Kismet, but to no avail - searching for the Drow there was like looking for a needle in a haystack. She had to level the playing field somehow.

Rhaine held out her left arm, reciting a complicated incantation in Supernal. It was a power that was completely unique to her as a Chosen of Kelemvor: True Death. A brilliant burst of golden light illuminated the cavern, causing the liches to hiss in pain. They then screamed with earsplitting shrieks as the magic took hold, completely stripping them of their resistances and powers and converting their necrotic energy into healing magic. She diverted the healing power to the Bosmer in a desperate attempt to keep her alive until the four remaining liches were slain - they had been rendered powerless, but were still very much "alive."

The Doomguide began to feel weakened...using such a high-level spell against multiple foes was dangerously draining. She was not yet strong enough to shrug off the negative effects of divine power. Her sword felt heavy as she lifted it to charge the lich nearest her.

I could really use your help, Kismet...

Edited by AurianaValoria1

"You're being irrational," he stated. "This was my plan, the liches were almost finished summoning, and we wouldn't have been able to take them out before this undead lord was summoned, it's better he stays in here than out there, in fact I don't think he'll be bothering us very much," his voiced trailed off, "..this was my plan all along, I had to find a way to travel through dimensions, and now that you're here with me I suppose you will have to accompany me to Sovnegard, lets be off, if you will."

The elan decked the elf with a right hook. "Like hells I will! This is the Abyss, not some gateway to whereever the hells you want to go!" Kalin scolded him. He gestured wildly at Everlost. "The demon prince that occupies that structure is not someone we want noticing us! Not even the gods have managed to end his existence permanently. And for your information, this particular creature has me on his special guest list, and I'll be damned if I'm going to become his entertainment for an eternity!" With that said, he actually picked up Ellundil and started carrying him back to the portal, ignoring the rune-mage's protests. When he came back to their exit, the soulknife paused in shock and dropped the elf as he saw that the portal was gone! "Oh, now that's just absolutely perfect!"

Kalin turned to the Ellundil slowly. I am going to throttle you! he swore silently. There was another way out of Thanatos, but he was reluctant to even consider the option. Tymora, why can't you grant me good fortune when I need it for once? He sighed. Looking at the elf, he said slowly, trying to keep his temper: "Listen, there's another way out, but we're doing this my way, understood? We'll have to be quiet and fast. Otherwise, death will be the least of our concerns." Without saying another word, the elan tunred away and starting walking towards the only other portal that they could use...the one inside Everlost. Bloody fool! he cursed Ellundil, frustration and anger coursing through his heart as he stealthily approached the dark citadel of the Prince of the Undead...

Edited by GrueMaster

The elan decked the elf with a right hook. "Like hells I will! This is the Abyss, not some gateway to whereever the hells you want to go!" Kalin scolded him. He gestured wildly at Everlost. "The demon prince that occupies that structure is not someone we want noticing us! Not even the gods have managed to end his existence permanently. And for your information, this particular creature has me on his special guest list, and I'll be damned if I'm going to become his entertainment for an eternity!" With that said, he actually picked up Ellundil and started carrying him back to the portal, ignoring the rune-mage's protests. When he came back to their exit, the soulknife paused in shock and dropped the elf as he saw that the portal was gone! "Oh, now that's just absolutely perfect!"

Kalin turned to the Ellundil slowly. I am going to throttle you! he swore silently. There was another way out of Thanatos, but he was reluctant to even consider the option. Tymora, why can't you grant me good fortune when I need it for once? He sighed. Looking at the elf, he said slowly, trying to keep his temper: "Listen, there's another way out, but we're doing this my way, understood? We'll have to be quiet and fast. Otherwise, death will be the least of our concerns." Without saying another word, the elan tunred away and starting walking towards the only other portal that they could use...the one inside Everlost. Bloody fool! he cursed Ellundil, frustration and anger coursing through his heart as he stealthily approached the dark citadel of the Prince of the Undead...

Ellundil was now becoming impatient, for he did not like being controlled by another against his will, for Ellundil would not harm his friend Kalin.

"You're being irrational, you wouldn't even let me tell you that I can open a portal to Sovnegard, but nooo! You just had to carry me off didn't you? I could just leave without you, ya know? But I won't, now if you would help me channel my magic, I would be very grateful."

And with that said Ellundil then placed a summoning rune around him, and focused his magic for, slowly a portal to Sovnegard began to open, the world could be seen forming, but a great mist engulfed it. Ellundil now struggled for words.

"Now... could you please... help me... channel thi...ss..."