how do i increase the cores used for skyrim

skannerz22

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50244/?

Threading Changes
Following is the DEFAULT settings Skyrim uses:
iNumHWThreads=4
iHWThread6=5
iHWThread5=5
iHWThread4=5
iHWThread3=4
iHWThread2=4
iHWThread1=4
iAIThread2HWThread=5
iAIThread1HWThread=3
iRenderingThread2HWThread=1
iRenderingThread1HWThread=0

Here's the simple truth. If you have 4 cores, or 2 cores, don't change this. Just don't. Remove it from your INI file if you have.

Skyrim by default uses 4 cores of your CPU (iNumHWThreads=4). These cores/threads are each allocated to different tasks. The variables are perfectly set to leave room for different tasks by default. For example, notice the gap between Rendering and AI, there is one thread free. This is used for the audio thread. There is a gap between the AI threads too, used for 3 of the HWThread's. 5 is shared with AI Thread 2. This is a wildcard of sorts. This works for 4 cores, and should be left alone.

If you have 8 cores however (Hyperthreaded too if you're brave), you have the option of moving the work of iHWThread4, 5 and 6 to a separate core from iAIThread2HWThread, and telling Skyrim that you have 8 cores, not 4.

Add these if you have 8 cores.
iHWThread6=6
iHWThread5=6
iHWThread4=6
iNumHWThreads=8

who ever typed that did not say where to edit it

i can't find any of that in my skyrim config file

I have an 8 core cpu and added those lines manually to the Skyrim ini located in my documents/my games/skyrim, they aren't already there to edit you have to add them in yourself in the [General] section, now i've read on several occasions these are a bad thing to add but after testing without them the game runs choppy for me, i have had these in my ini for over 3 years, i run 141 mods and have a very stable game that rarely crashes.

I have an 8 core cpu and added those lines manually to the Skyrim ini located in my documents/my games/skyrim, they aren't already there to edit you have to add them in yourself in the [General] section, now i've read on several occasions these are a bad thing to add but after testing without them the game runs choppy for me, i have had these in my ini for over 3 years, i run 141 mods and have a very stable game that rarely crashes.

i got 12 core cpu

but i won't add it since it apparently causes the game to break

apparently using more cores = more issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/1yj1v7/do_the_ini_tweaks_for_multicore_cpus_actually_work/

so i changed my mind

Edited by skannerz22

Fair enough, but personally, with respect to the posters i think a lot of them are just chiming in and not actually using a cpu with more than 4 cores, so aren't speaking from experience just what they have "heard", maybe you should test for yourself to get solid results, although i'm not sure how you would alter those lines to suit a 12 core cpu, sorry i can't be more help to you :D

Edited by burn70