Why do people seem to prefer Fallout New vegas to fallout 3.

arcane20

Because of opinions.

First off i like the western setting and music, fallout 3 was okay but i really didnt enjoy it too much.

In general i love the Western kind of thing that NV brings, and not to mention the ironsights and hardcore mode!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of opinions.

First off i like the western setting and music, fallout 3 was okay but i really didnt enjoy it too much.

In general i love the Western kind of thing that NV brings, and not to mention the ironsights and hardcore mode!

I like the western feel too, but just so you know, ironsights and hardcore mode are available for FO3 too. In fact in all probability those things were added to NV due to their popularity in FO3. Like weapon mod kits etc. Very little in NV is new (ie not exisitng in FO3 in mod form). The only really noticable additions to the engine are DT and factions.

So you see the company taking the ideas of fans seriously as a bad thing. Gotcha.

And btw everything that was taken from F3 mods is implemented better in NV. Iron sites sway wasnt even effected by skill...A silencer cannot work on both a 5.56 assault rifle and a 10mm pistol...etc etc.

Plus mods are limited to PC users only and generally shouldnt have anything to do with comparing the 2 games.

Because of opinions.

I like the western feel too, but just so you know, ironsights and hardcore mode are available for FO3 too. In fact in all probability those things were added to NV due to their popularity in FO3. Like weapon mod kits etc. Very little in NV is new (ie not exisitng in FO3 in mod form). The only really noticable additions to the engine are DT and factions.

New is not necessarily better.

Factions existed in F3 btw. There were disguise mods (I made one) but they weren't as elaborate as the FNV disguise system.

DT is a big deal when it comes to comparing game mechanics. F3 couldn't represent the incredible resistance of Power Armoured foes compared to soft targets. In the old Fallout games you could shoot at a guy in power armour all day long if you used a small calibre gun you wouldn't get through whereas in F3 you can take down a guy in a hardsuit with a pea shooter. FNV is not perfect but it's a step in the right direction IMO.

Also when it comes to the music I have to say that I can't bear F3 because it sounds like Oblivion. The music FNV is a very nice departure from the Oblivion theme that still echoes in F3. It's personal and I still prefer the music of the original Fallouts (simply incredible) but I do enjoy the music in FNV (something that I can't say about F3).

Edited by Shantih

So you see the company taking the ideas of fans seriously as a bad thing. Gotcha.

And btw everything that was taken from F3 mods is implemented better in NV. Iron sites sway wasnt even effected by skill...A silencer cannot work on both a 5.56 assault rifle and a 10mm pistol...etc etc.

Plus mods are limited to PC users only and generally shouldnt have anything to do with comparing the 2 games.

You are far to negative, at no point did he suggest it was a bad thing. He was simply pointing out that the majority of the improvements in FNV from FO3 come from community mods for FO3. And yes I would say its fully justifable to include mods for both games when comparing them, thats like saying "we cant use DLCs to compare the two either!" Before you go saying "oh well thats because the console versions cant use mods." Yes we know that, thats the choice you make when you pick to play from a console, to deny yourself the use of mods, and any gaming attachments you could possibly desire.

That doesnt change the validity of the comparison. Hell the mods for FO3 and FNV keep the games going longer than the official content ever could. Community contributions are a part of it all and should be recognized to give a fair comparison.

Now FNVs companion wheel is a seldom mentioned great asset to the game. I like being able to access things easily without having to go through the same line of gibberish each time. And yes the DT is a much better system. As well as the expanded faction system. However the abandonment of Karma effects is a negative score.

As for the music, a lot of it is just the same tracks from FO3 with an instrument or two added to enhance it. While most of them it makes sound even better yes. Its far from original. (were not talking radio here.) However both have the Existance 2.0 mod, which far surpasses any of the IG music and radio for both games.

You are far to negative, at no point did he suggest it was a bad thing. He was simply pointing out that the majority of the improvements in FNV from FO3 come from community mods for FO3. And yes I would say its fully justifable to include mods for both games when comparing them, thats like saying "we cant use DLCs to compare the two either!" Before you go saying "oh well thats because the console versions cant use mods." Yes we know that, thats the choice you make when you pick to play from a console, to deny yourself the use of mods, and any gaming attachments you could possibly desire.

That doesnt change the validity of the comparison. Hell the mods for FO3 and FNV keep the games going longer than the official content ever could. Community contributions are a part of it all and should be recognized to give a fair comparison.

Now FNVs companion wheel is a seldom mentioned great asset to the game. I like being able to access things easily without having to go through the same line of gibberish each time. And yes the DT is a much better system. As well as the expanded faction system. However the abandonment of Karma effects is a negative score.

As for the music, a lot of it is just the same tracks from FO3 with an instrument or two added to enhance it. While most of them it makes sound even better yes. Its far from original. (were not talking radio here.) However both have the Existance 2.0 mod, which far surpasses any of the IG music and radio for both games.

Ummm, no. Not in the area of game play altering mods. No DLC did that. You can then nix mods out when comparing the two, the same can be said for mods that alter the feel of the environment, I will explain. When comparing two games on their own merit, you can not take into account user made modifications, because by definition, they would no longer be standing on their own merit alone.

Ummm, no. Not in the area of game play altering mods. No DLC did that. You can then nix mods out when comparing the two, the same can be said for mods that alter the feel of the environment, I will explain. When comparing two games on their own merit, you can not take into account user made modifications, because by definition, they would no longer be standing on their own merit alone.

Problem you run into with that is that a lot of the key features in FNV are from FO3 mods. Meaning those user created variants are the only reason they exist in the FNV game. (well you could argue they would have come up with similar but we honestly can never know for sure about that.) So to remove such things that were so innovative to the series that the developers went right along and said "you know what? Were putting that in!" kinda makes the comparison a bit biased.

Problem you run into with that is that a lot of the key features in FNV are from FO3 mods. Meaning those user created variants are the only reason they exist in the FNV game. (well you could argue they would have come up with similar but we honestly can never know for sure about that.) So to remove such things that were so innovative to the series that the developers went right along and said "you know what? Were putting that in!" kinda makes the comparison a bit biased.

If you are going to compare two games you compare them on their off the shelf, vanilla merits and flaws. That is simply the end of it. When you bring mods into the equation, all you are doing is making the entire comparison overly complicated to the point where you will have a different opinion for every person that pipes up, because they most likely have a different mod load installed on their copy of the game. So what if NV incorporates mod mechanic introduced in Fo3? It means the devs listened and watched. It's part of the vanilla NV experience at that point, therefore a solid point to make. It doesn't matter that it was a mod for Fo3, because it was not a vanilla aspect of Fo3, and many of those required FOSE to actually work, which is a third party plugin not even built using the devkit. NV, again, had these features out of the box. No complex mod installs, no waiting three days/weeks/months for someone to add weapon mods to guns in the game, etc. It also had better companions out of the box with their own stories. It had a much more complex faction interaction than Fo3 out of the box as well. The list goes on with this stuff.

NV is superior in gameplay asepcts, in my opinion, because I didn't have to wait for modders to add the cool weapon modkits and a better companion system, iron sights, a better damage system, etc... The devs at least gave us a head start on those things. As for story and setting: I'm a sucker for something closer to the first two games, so I prefer NV.