G.E.C.K Script problem!

bigman28

I already told you, I know it's a pain to reinstall but that directory will be your nemesis if you don't do it.

so just re-install it into an another folder? where should I put the folder? or just re-install it into the same place?

Do you mean The G.E.C.K or the Game?

Edited by bigman28

so just re-install it into an another folder? where should I put the folder? or just re-install it into the same place?

uhm, before you burn down the house, you might want to make sure your non-saving isn't just an optical illusion.

to explain that:

say you create a script, name it scn whateverSCRIPT, save it.

then you open a new script window, create a new script and name this scn whateverSCRIPT too.

if you now save your second script, in the script itself it will still have the name you've given it. but in the object window, the second one you created will be named whateverSCRIPTduplicate0000 or something like that. but if you open whateverSCRIPT from the object window, you'll get the FIRST script you wrote, not the last one. so maybe search your objects for anything that could possibly a dup of your script before reinstalling everything... :-)

I know what you mean, I looked in the object menu for the script I created but it wasn't there. I did not however duplicate it so... I will go try that and some other things now.

Let us see if there is any way to do this without having to re-install.

uhm, before you burn down the house, you might want to make sure your non-saving isn't just an optical illusion.

to explain that:

say you create a script, name it scn whateverSCRIPT, save it.

then you open a new script window, create a new script and name this scn whateverSCRIPT too.

if you now save your second script, in the script itself it will still have the name you've given it. but in the object window, the second one you created will be named whateverSCRIPTduplicate0000 or something like that. but if you open whateverSCRIPT from the object window, you'll get the FIRST script you wrote, not the last one. so maybe search your objects for anything that could possibly a dup of your script before reinstalling everything... :-)

okay I've confirmed that it is not saving the script or any other script.

but the problem for me is I for the 'life of me' don't know where my NV disc is so re-installing it is gonna be a problem.. although it runs off of steam. anyone have a suggestion? maybe I can just move these file's?

Games installed in "any" specially protected folder in Vista or seven are bad news, mainly if the game relies on plugins, utilities and/or mods (which includes GECK itself). Workarounds may work here and there but never solve the problem in the root. You'll never know when the issues will strike again.

Better solution is creating yourself a directory under any partition root, something like C:\games or D:\Games, the point is that directory is directly attached to the drive letter.

Instead using the default C:\Program Files (x86) install in that created directory, this way Windows will not *censored* about it's "security". Does not matter if the game is steam or whatever, just install using that C:\Games as root and spare yourself many headaches. Do it for all and every game from now on.

PS: I notice the site bad word filter changed the word I used, I must say the result is much more significant than any word I could use there... good job :)

Edited by nosisab

Games installed in "any" specially protected folder in Vista or seven are bad news, mainly if the game relies on plugins, utilities and/or mods (which includes GECK itself). Workarounds may work here and there but never solve the problem in the root. You'll never know when the issues will strike again.

Better solution is creating yourself a directory under any partition root, something like C:\games or D:\Games, the point is that directory is directly attached to the drive letter.

Instead using the default C:\Program Files (x86) install in that created directory, this way Windows will not *censored* about it's "security". Does not matter if the game is steam or whatever, just install using that C:\Games as root and spare yourself many headaches. Do it for all and every game from now on.

PS: I notice the site bad word filter changed the word I used, I must say the result is much more significant than any word I could use there... good job :)

I moved the files to "Games - TestfolderforNVandGECK" and started up the G.E.C.K, tried to create a script and it still didn't work...

Okay... I deleted local game content of fallout NV from steam. but when I pushed install it just started up again into the same file. how do I make it install into another file?