Photo

Golden City already Black when the mages got there?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

sendo75

sendo75

Planeswalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
Nice to have another perspective. :thumbsup: Your take on Flemeth does fit some of her mysteries. If you don't mind, I will mention some loose ends for discussion.

Firstly her knowledge of the Old Gods, a ritual to extract the essense of a God from a Archdemon. If the dark ritual has been done a couple of times, why were the wardens so sure that killing the Archdemon was a suicide mission? It seems they are unaware of such a way to survive the act. Perhaps such information was lost history or not if some of the past heroes survived.

Base on her conversation with Hawke, her knowledge on future events and her mannerism on fate, destiny etc also suggests a higher consciousness rather than a powerful possessed witch. Her comment about herself being a small part of what she truly is also suggest a superior entity.

As for the gender discussion on Old Gods. I still do not think they were labelled as male. This article describes Drakes to be mating partners of High Dragons. So my guess for Old Gods would be genderless omnipotent creatures. Don't think this affects what Flemeth might be though.

Not sure about the purpose/creation of the Blight but I believe it to be originated from an opposing force to the Old Gods hellbent on their destruction. While the dark ritual was created by Old Gods to salvage their essence and power. If the Blight was an accidental creation by the magisters in the fade, then I would think Corypheus would have been aware of it. He seemed clueless and only remembered the Black City and the beckoning of Dumat.

GoddessAthena

GoddessAthena

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
great link to the dragon age wiki ;) forgot about the difference they make between normal dragons and old god dragons as "opposed" don't know exactly what to make of that comparison... i still believe the could weave magic...

Regarding the wardens i believe they don't know everything that happens between the different warden groups, for example the orlesian wardens could have not know all that transpired in ferelden if Loghain would have been succesful in killing all wardens in ostagar, the same way they could have not known if the dark ritual could have taken place, the warden involved could have just leaved the wardens into anonymity; similar to no one knowing the state of Soldier's Peak and the existance of Avernus -well they knew he existed but not that he still lived-, as perhaps some other warden groups not knowing the existance of the Corypheus prision.

Also the knowledge for extracting the escence of an old god could also be either a way devised by the old gods to save their own power or a way found by the magisters while in the fade to take the powers from them...this would conflict with corypheus worshipping dumat...

the part here that troubles me is timing... Corypheus says "it was already black" so no golden city just a trap, so they were sent to a trap or even the old god where tricked and if so Corypheus is a darkspawn and they returned as such from the fade, so how was he still worshipping Dumat, he was imprisioned by wardens so the blight was already active and Dumat was already made an archdemon hence he would have known the full effect of the taint and the opposing force... so either they sought the taint -both magisters and old gods- or they didn't thought of the taint as something bad or they knew the old gods where also tricked...

at this point i could also asume the taint created a mind pool where the magisters got tainted and forgot all memories of recent events afterwards...
(something like the faint effect during the joining)

i have to agree, an opposing force would have shown humanity about the taint and how to become grey wardens to balance for the taint, the same opposing force that would work against the old gods...

Also -from the article- "Perhaps there is some remnant of desire for vengeance upon the ones who goaded the magisters to assault heaven" regarding what the darkspawn do to the old gods, this is contrary to Corypheus behavior since he doesn't want vengance but he still worships Dumat, again i remain in doubt, did the magisters tought the taint to be a gift or they also knew the opposing force and this behaviour just applies to the newly darkspawn, can't say what to make of it.

in the end i would ask, who is the opposing force?? would say that elven gods could be jealous or resentful with the old gods for teaching the magisters powers that could bring down the elves in favor for the human, a war between gods...

Edited by GoddessAthena, 16 August 2011 - 12:32 AM.

sendo75

sendo75

Planeswalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
While it is possible to say that information has been lost throughout history between different groups of wardens, we know that crucial information are still retained. For example, the joining ritual, the warden dreams, the final calling and the Archdemon suicide deathblow have all been passed down the generations. I don't think epic Information like the survival of a warden hero after killing an Archdemon would be forgotten or overlooked. Or perhaps none of the warden heroes took up the dark ritual offer. But I will say it is possible some forces might want such information forgotten and have succeeded.

There are some missing timelines in Corypheus's story like you pointed out. If we assume the magisters released the Taint accidentally. It would take some time for the taint to reach Dumat, the first Archdemon and triggering the First Blight. Not sure why his last memory was of the Black City and Dumat, perhaps due to the Taint induced memory lapse. How and when Corypheus and the Wardens came into contact is also a mystery...

This opposing force has been said to be The Maker according to Chantry teachings. But I feel the Blight and the taint seems to originate from a sinister force. I do think Elven God Fenharel fits even though its hard to prove its existence or interference. The motivation seems right as the Old Gods and their magister worshipers destroyed Elvhenan. And it could be something yet to be revealed. The God and religions like you said, might be fabricated or allegory especially since some races like Dwarves and Qunaris do not worship any Gods.

Edited by sendo75, 18 August 2011 - 12:54 PM.

xneseyx

xneseyx

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

While it is possible to say that information has been lost throughout history between different groups of wardens, we know that crucial information are still retained. For example, the joining ritual, the warden dreams, the final calling and the Archdemon suicide deathblow have all been passed down the generations. I don't think epic Information like the survival of a warden hero after killing an Archdemon would be forgotten or overlooked. Or perhaps none of the warden heroes took up the dark ritual offer. But I will say it is possible some forces might want such information forgotten and have succeeded.

There are some missing timelines in Corypheus's story like you pointed out. If we assume the magisters released the Taint accidentally. It would take some time for the taint to reach Dumat, the first Archdemon and triggering the First Blight. Not sure why his last memory was of the Black City and Dumat, perhaps due to the Taint induced memory lapse. How and when Corypheus and the Wardens came into contact is also a mystery...

This opposing force has been said to be The Maker according to Chantry teachings. But I feel the Blight and the taint seems to originate from a sinister force. I do think Elven God Fenharel fits even though its hard to prove its existence or interference. The motivation seems right as the Old Gods and their magister worshipers destroyed Elvhenan. And it could be something yet to be revealed. The God and religions like you said, might be fabricated or allegory especially since some races like Dwarves and Qunaris do not worship any Gods.

I like your view on things. But I don't think that it has been specifically mentioned that the Qunari don't worship gods, or don't have any type of deitys. Because if you pay attention to what Sten said in DAO he talks about "tamassrans" - their priests, the people who bear and raise children. The arishok talks about "Arishok, Arigena and Ariqun". (http://dragonage.wik...iki/Triumvirate) I don't really know what to think yet, I don't have all the DLC for DAO yet. But hopefully when DA3 is released there will be more answers. but, all we'll probably get is more questions.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.854 seconds