computer restarts when in mulitplayer

Dan3345

Here is my setup-

6950 2gb

6gb's of RAM @ 1333mhz

AMD 1100T Black @ 3.7ghz

Xion 700 watt PSU

Gigabyte Motherboard 770T (it only has one PCI-E x16 FYI, so no crossfire)

1 terabyte Western Digital HDD @ 7200RPM

I have a single 120mm case fan blowing on the GPU

And I have the NZXT sentry fan controller

I will be adding two more 120mm case fans soon though

So anyways my problem is that after playing in mulitplayer for 30 minutes or longer my computer will lock up and then after ten seconds do a complete restart, where it will then ask to go into safety mode. There is no crash dump, and no BSoD so I don't think its my RAM.

I recently replaced my old GPU which was a GTX 460 for the 6950 2gb which uses I believe 40 more watts then the nvidia. SO I am worried that perhaps my power supply is not enough.. Though how would I be able to tell? I play other intensive games, like all the fallout games, starcraft 2, oblivion, brink, stalker, and left 4 dead 2, and tf2. Only battlefield bad company 2 has this problem however.

Any help would be appreciated..

Sound like it's overheating. Check your fans first, clean out the dust and check that you have good airflow.

A 700 watt power supply Should be enough. but anything that pulls the +5 volt line down can cause a reset. This could be something in the power supply or any board, or even a USB device as they all use the same +5 volt supply.

My video card is at 45 degrees Celsius under load.. CPU is at 39 degrees.. I just cleaned out all the fans, and after monitoring temperatures for a while I don't think it is overheating.. Really every part of my computer is on average at 39 degrees.. That is unless my fan controller is assumed to be accurate and the software I use to monitor my video card and CPU is accurate as well.. In any event I have decided to ditch this xion PSU for this I hope it will be enough for everything..

EDIT: It seems that while my PSU is a 700 watt as stated, it may be unable to balance the four rails.. So that would inevitably lead to a crash with such a powerful gpu, demanding so much so suddenly from it.

Edited by Dan3345