Maya 2012 updated plugin

Alecu

Title pretty much sums it up. Recently I acquired the Maya nif plugin source code and bye a miracle I managed to compile it in 64bits for Maya 2012. I've tested it a couple of times and it worked fine. Oblivion and Fallout 3 stuff can be made with it. It doesn't support animations but that's because the maya animation system is very complex and hard to translate to the much simpler game format or at least it seemed so for me. It's pretty much an impossible task :psyduck: .

Anyway, I managed to add an export outliner to the plugin. From that outliner you can select what meshes and joints aka bones to export. This should make the process of making armors easier because you can have all the parts in one scene. I don't know if it's simple enough to use since I made it and it's pretty hard to tell.

Maybe if I use Maya more I can come up with some new features and improvements to the plugin :yes: .

Download link is here.

The official thread on niftools is here.

Why am I making this thread here? Because people don't know too much about this and it's painful to see people searching for it and not many people browse the niftools wiki.

Edited by Alecu

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much :D this is a nice start for me.

I wanted to do some modding (changing models and textuers) with maya, mudbox and photoshop and was looking for that Nif thing

I think I will have some more questions in the near future anyways...

best wishes - Adeptus

Thank you very much :D this is a nice start for me.

I wanted to do some modding (changing models and textuers) with maya, mudbox and photoshop and was looking for that Nif thing

I think I will have some more questions in the near future anyways...

best wishes - Adeptus

Hahaha, first reply here :biggrin: . Hope the plugin worked XD. I am currently working on an updated version. No major changes except for a progress bar that is barely useful. That's it on the outside. On the inside the code is changed a lot to make it more maintainable. So if any other persons would start to develop it they wouldn't run into the same problems I did :thumbsup: .

Why didn't I see this thread sooner? I've got Maya 2012 on my computer case, and I don't use it because I couldn't find the plugin. Thanks, I'd give you kudos but I already did, so have a virtual cookie.

Hm, I saw a small comparison between maya, max and blender - and noticed that maya can not export skin weights for meshes or animations.. is that true? In that case I will need to use 3ds max, since I also wanted to make own skinbound and weighted meshes for characters and items and maybe also animations. Edited by AdeptusAstrates

I am having a bit of trouble getting it to work. When I try to load the plugin in maya it says

"Error: the specific module could not be found. (niftranslator)"

I think I double checked that I followed the instructions in the readme.txt

Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing this?

Edited by OnlyOneWing

I am having a bit of trouble getting it to work. When I try to load the plugin in maya it says

What version of Maya do you have? And where did you place the nifTranslator.mll and niflib.dll files? If it can't find the niflib.dll file then it can't load the nifTranslator.mll file since niflib.dll is aa required file.

Also where did you place the nifTranslatorOpts.mel. That is required too.

And the maya plugin doesn't support animations. Skinning and weighted meshes are supported of course.

What version of Maya do you have? And where did you place the nifTranslator.mll and niflib.dll files? If it can't find the niflib.dll file then it can't load the nifTranslator.mll file since niflib.dll is aa required file.

Also where did you place the nifTranslatorOpts.mel. That is required too.

And the maya plugin doesn't support animations. Skinning and weighted meshes are supported of course.

I think I see something. I have Windows 7 x64 so nifTranslatorOpts.mel is in "Libraries/ Documents/ Maya/ 2012-x64/ scripts"

as opposed to being in "My Documents/Maya/2012-x64/scripts"...I'm not sure if that makes a difference but it is the only thing I see that deviates from the readmefile which says.

2. Copy the niflib_x64.dll in the "Maya installation directory/bin/" where you also have the Maya.exe

3. Copy the nifTranslator.mll in the "Maya installation directory/bin/plug-ins"

4. Copy the nifTranslatorOpts.mel in "My Documents/maya/2012-x64/scripts"

Also, I wanted to use this to try and open Skyrim Nif files. Has anyone tested that yet? I didn't realize the post was started in August.

Thank you for your help and hard work.

I tested it -.-

It doesnt work, Maya comes up with this error:

// Error: String too long. Not a NIF file or unsupported format? //

// Error: Error reading file. //

But I can create models in maya and export them as an NIF file, but I dont think that that is the same format as the skyrim models

I managed to import the models as obj by opening the nif files with nif scope (needed to get an .xml file first to enable that) and exporting them into .obj.

I hope this can be fixed, I wanted to fix some animations and skin weights on some models :)

Maybe we shall wait until the construction kit is beeing released..

Edited by AdeptusAstrates