Maya 2012 updated plugin

Alecu

I tested it -.-

It doesnt work, Maya comes up with this error:

// Error: String too long. Not a NIF file or unsupported format? //

// Error: Error reading file. //

But I can create models in maya and export them as an NIF file, but I dont think that that is the same format as the skyrim models

I managed to import the models as obj by opening the nif files with nif scope (needed to get an .xml file first to enable that) and exporting them into .obj.

I hope this can be fixed, I wanted to fix some animations and skin weights on some models :)

Maybe we shall wait until the construction kit is beeing released..

Skyrim isn't supported yet. It's a very long way from being supported in any program, be it blender or maya or 3d max. Skyrim uses a new nif format and people are still working really hard to understand it. But if the exporter works as it is then it's ok with me. That was the purpose. To make it work.

I tested it -.-

It doesnt work, Maya comes up with this error:

// Error: String too long. Not a NIF file or unsupported format? //

// Error: Error reading file. //

But I can create models in maya and export them as an NIF file, but I dont think that that is the same format as the skyrim models

I managed to import the models as obj by opening the nif files with nif scope (needed to get an .xml file first to enable that) and exporting them into .obj.

I hope this can be fixed, I wanted to fix some animations and skin weights on some models :)

Maybe we shall wait until the construction kit is beeing released..

Skyrim isn't supported yet. It's a very long way from being supported in any program, be it blender or maya or 3d max. Skyrim uses a new nif format and people are still working really hard to understand it. But if the exporter works as it is then it's ok with me. That was the purpose. To make it work.

Ah, I see. Well, thanks for your hard work anyway. I've been trying everything to get these Skyrim Nif files to open with no luck. I've tried every program and every plugin I can find. Supposedly some one just made a 3D Max plugin that might work. We'll see

• 1 month later...

Please please let me know if you come any closer to supporting skyrim. There's a skyrim-supported exporter for 3dsmax but I dont have max.

Well I currently finished adding major support for animation. But it's still a bit untested. If you wan skyrim support then test the current plugin as it is against oblivion or fallout 3. If the new features work fine then I will start looking into skyrim support. I won't even begin to work if some people won't even test it. It's not just about skyrim support but about fallout 3 support too.

This is the most recent test version of the plugin:

test version

There are instructions included about how to install the plugin.

• 2 weeks later...

Please please let me know if you come any closer to supporting skyrim. There's a skyrim-supported exporter for 3dsmax but I dont have max.

Well I currently finished adding major support for animation. But it's still a bit untested. If you wan skyrim support then test the current plugin as it is against oblivion or fallout 3. If the new features work fine then I will start looking into skyrim support. I won't even begin to work if some people won't even test it. It's not just about skyrim support but about fallout 3 support too.

test version

If you do get the plugin working with Skyrim, I don't suppose you could include support for previous versions of Maya? Would that be difficult?

See, I'm in the same predicament as theycallmecheese, except I only own a copy of Maya from '08.

Edit: For anyone who, like me, found this thread by googling the "error reading file" maya nif problem, I think I may have found a solution:

In nifSkope, change the "User Version" setting in the NiHeader node (which can be accessed in the Blocks List mode) from 12 to 0, delete any BSLightingShaderProperty nodes, and convert any BSDismemberSkinInstance nodes to NiSkinInstance nodes. In my case, this allowed me to import skinned Skyrim models into Maya. I haven't yet tried exporting back to the game, but I imagine the process is similar.

Edited by artifex0

test version

If you do get the plugin working with Skyrim, I don't suppose you could include support for previous versions of Maya? Would that be difficult?

See, I'm in the same predicament as theycallmecheese, except I only own a copy of Maya from '08.

Edit: For anyone who, like me, found this thread by googling the "error reading file" maya nif problem, I think I may have found a solution:

In nifSkope, change the "User Version" setting in the NiHeader node (which can be accessed in the Blocks List mode) from 12 to 0, delete any BSLightingShaderProperty nodes, and convert any BSDismemberSkinInstance nodes to NiSkinInstance nodes. In my case, this allowed me to import skinned Skyrim models into Maya. I haven't yet tried exporting back to the game, but I imagine the process is similar.

Well I downloaded the plugin and it loaded but every nif file i open gives me a blank scene except the nif files I made from nifskope. I'm specifically trying to get a new bow into the game and nothing is working.

--

screw it, i used 3dsmax and it works now after the most tedious 4 hours since 6 hours ago. Still wish I could just use maya though.

Edited by theycallmecheese

Another update. This time it imports the uv set too but this should have been noticed by other people and not me :P. I wasted a lot of time figuring it out.

Anyway this time it imports pretty well maya meshes, at least the armor meshes. I also tested other meshes and it worked.

The download thread is available here:

release thread

Now test! If you don't you will only cause yourself problems because it will take longer to have skyrim support :P. How to test it? Just import random meshes from skyrim and see if it works. If it doesn't post the full name of the file on the forums mentioned above.

• 2 months later...
I'm having the same problem as Only One wing, I have placed all the appropriate files where they need to be according to the readme file. I am using Maya 2012, while I would use 3DMax I practically have no experience with the program. I may try Adeptus' method of exporting and importing as an obj until I can get this resolved and if anyone has any other suggestions that I could try that would be great.

• 9 months later...