Why was Negative Endorsement removed?

Sagebeat

I see no reason for a negative rating system. I read the comments and I download and use myself. If I like a mod, I come back and endorse and most times leave a nice comment. If I don't like a mod, I get rid of it and move on. No endorsement or comment given because whether "I" like it or not isn't the point now is it?

No. No. No.........No. Jesus Christ, no. Why would you....just no.

That could be turned on it's side so many times it just hurts to look at.

If "whether I like it or not" is not the point, then so must liking it. Which, in turn, means that saying "This is a great mod!" is just as irrelevant as saying "I didn't particularly care for this" or even "Don't like it at all."

You're contradicting yourself here.

My beef with the new system is that you're stripping away one's rights to an their own opinion, and while you can say all you want that "it's not a case of hurt feelings" it is.

Only hurt feelings would cause you to take such drastic actions.

Striping away the right to say that you don't like a mod? Are you out of your mind?

Am I in some sort of virtual dictatorship right now?

I mean, whatever man. I'll probably likely still manage to find good mods.

But I'll be going back to PES, that's for damn sure.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been here since 2006, and this is the first time I've ever felt a need to say anything to anyone on the forums. This is the first time any of the dumb things that happen around her has made me want to speak out...well done.

Firstly, the new site is a downgrade in my opinion. Its loud, and offensive to the eyes, but I can deal with that given enough time. Perhaps even start to like it.

What I will never like is the fact that down voting got removed simply because "It hurt moders feelings" or "it was bait for trolls".

That is... simply retarded, and that's the only way I can think of describing it while not resorting to curse words.

Whats even more disturbing is the attitude of the self proclaimed moders in the first few pages of this thread.

That I should be thankful for whatever you make weither its bad or good, just because its free?

Or another one that was offended that people could down vote him, and still have access to their page, and actually wanted a blacklist feature?

Or that several different moders shared the same view that they were special, and their opinions carried more weight than the people that downloaded their mods?

Or that several of the people in question didn't even have any mods uploaded in the first place?

Or they said that they were leaving, but still were lurking around? (that little bar at the bottom of the page? It tells who's watching he thread you know)

Or the fact that down voting comments still remains? If you're going to remove down votes on mods, you may as well be through about it?

Or the fact that they want you to slog through 10+ pages of comments to find out about their mod?

Or the fact that the majority is over 20, and some are over 30, but are acting like self entitled little children?

Or that they made me type so many rhetorical questions?

I admit, I never posted anything I made here either, (frankly I'm starting to see little reason to), but If I did, I would like some criticism. And if its bad, I wouldn't mind a down vote with a post explaining why.

And that is what irks me the most. Not the removal of a feature, but the fact that I'm being censored simply because moders find it offensive when you give them criticism.

We're all adults here, you really ought to not care what others think of you over the internet.

Are you really getting that worked up about it??? o_O

If you're really unhappy here, by all means... you know where the X button is on your screen...

By the way it's been stated countless times: "The nexus welcomes your opinion, but will not provide you a platform to which you may express it"

and another "You have the right to your own opinion, but be careful how you express it"

It should be pretty common knowledge...

No one has mentioned anything about removing any possibility of saying what you don't like about a mod, feel free to comment that in the comments section.

Most mod authors welcome it, I for one always welcome it when it's not "add this, add that" etc because that's not constructive, that's mostly just like a child begging for a toy at the store.

It's been stated before countless times and for the sake of your ignorance I'll state it again.

Negative endorsements offered absolutely NO constructive criticism to the mod author and provided no absolute details to mod users, at all.

They were abused endlessly by users. Mod authors and nexus staff alike have voiced their displeasure of the negative endorsements system.

Edited by KDStudios

The only point of position here is that this isn't a game you're up or down rating but something made by a modder and the factor that this place isn't an area where the best modders are the ones that are allowed to share mods. As everyone is allowed to download, everyone is allowed to upload. Standard house #100 at start-game place X? sure! See how one of these people turn into something more epicly scaled once they become better.

The main factor here is that mod authors are in full control of their files, which complies with the matter that a modder chooses to share a mod because they liked making them and would like others to enjoy it. As this is all 'free'(form) and you never paid a single dine for it, don't expect it to 100% work even if you read the readme and the compatibility or quality isn't 100%. Something more easily to compare with is the 10/15 dollar games that are priced this way on release on steam, they are usually buggy and incomplete...but what did you expect for 15 bucks?...What can you expect from 0 bucks, people with limited time and cognitive ability about the certain subject? Again...nexus isn't the place to put a crown on just the major pieces, neither the opposite. Effectively scaring away 'incompetent' modders isn't the tactic used here as all the negative endorsements and previous grade systems did it just to competent modders. It's a place to grow, not be halted...that's where paid places or other communities are for.

As a long time user of the Nexus family of sites, I can honestly say that not once in that entire time has a negative endorsement been of any use to me as a mod user.

Here are a few examples based on negative ratings I've seen on files I've downloaded over the years:

"I cannot endorse this file because it imbalances the game" Already this is a nebulous reason to downrate- even moreso when the mod is already placed in the Cheats and God Items category. Yes, this has happened. More than once.

"Nice work but the game doesn't need more content of this type- so I took the time to rate the mod down so some other mod I've deemed more deserving might gain a foothold in the Top 100 instead." Many thanks for conflating your games "needs" with mine, and attempting to manipulate the ratings, it is appreciated.

" I don't like anime/race/weapon/insert non-lore catchphrase here mods. This sucks." These downratings are often accompanied with stream-of-consciousness hubristic diatribes about what they think the developer intended and how much of a slap in the face this mod must be to them. Very informative.

"This house mod is nothing special. Anyone with the Construction Set could do just as well. As a matter of fact, I have, like, ten times over, but I just haven't uploaded anything. Yet." M'kay.

And then we come to the reason some folks want negative endorsements to make a return: to alert the modder and potential downloaders of serious game breaking issues. " This mod doesn't work and it broke my game". Sometimes, literally hundreds of people (including me) have endorsed this dangerous, game-breaking file. Hundreds of people without googly eyes, or stuck animations. Hundreds of people with correctly updating quest logs, and uncorrupted saves. But one person who cannot be bothered to read the Description page, let alone the readme, has trouble, and who describes their issues in the language of one who is not well versed in the absolute basics of modding their game, and wouldn't know their Data folder from their Recycle Bin, comes to the conclusion that the mod is at fault.

I've seen texture replacers blamed for broken quests. I've seen hair mods blamed for floating trees in the wilderness. I've seen people install mods that are noted as conflicting directly with one another, and then get mad when they don't work as expected.

I've seen all of these examples, over and over again, for years. What I have not seen are articulate, reasoned, intelligently formulated and persuasive negative endorsements. It seems simple enough. I mean, all I want to know is if the mod "works", with "it works" being determined by how predictably it performs in at least a somewhat responsibly-managed load order- and that's it. I don't care if it insults your personal beliefs, or if you think it doesn't do justice to the movie that inspired it, or if it doesn't provide enough high resolution eyecandy for your overpriced new system. I don't care if you could do better, especially if you're not even going to upload it and subject it to the same scrutiny you like to dish out. I just want to know if it works.

Hence, I have ceased taking negative endorsements seriously, at all. I just got tired of wading through the petty BS. My game hasn't broken yet.

In my experience, the most informative "reviews" have come from the positive endorsements, users who are invested in the success of the mod they are rating because they like it already. They like the mod, they want it to work, so they endorse it, and note incompatibilities or technical issues in the comments section, often with practical workarounds for other downloaders. I've seen modders work with these users to enhance their mods, so I know it works. These commenters are the ones who have helped me create a stable, modded game, and I am grateful to them.

Frankly, building a better negative endorsement system is just not something I am interested in doing. There are already ways to alert modders and mod users of potentially game-breaking flaws in a modification (hello Comments page, nice to meet you) that don't involve stamping something with a Seal of Disapproval.

The biggest reason, is it is more trouble that it is worth. No one could remove a negative endorsement, no one.

This is better, I don't have to listed to those who got one complain constantly.

Nothing to discuss here, it is not coming back.