EA/Bioware's stance on modding Dragon Age

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Retired modder

• Account closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts
Use of Dragon Age Assets (all game versions) in Mods

In response to communication from the Nexus Staff, BioWare's Dragon Age development team provided their perspective on this issue.

Their basic position is:

BioWare will allow relatively free use of its in-game resources (models and textures) from Dragon Age (all games) by modders who wish to create new content for use in the Dragon Age series.

BioWare requires three things:

1. Mod must be totally non-commercial. There can be no payment specifically for the creation, use, or distribution of any mod using BioWare’s assets.

2. Mod author must have a legitimate copy of the source game/DLC from which the assets were obtained.

3. Mod cannot recreate any DLC adventure itself. In other words, a modder can use a DLC asset in a new work, but can't simply remake the whole thing.

This is not blanket authorization to take anything and everything from Dragon Age and use it in any way one wishes. As always, modders need to respect the copyrights / IP rights of others, including other modders, and observe the terms of the EULAs associated with any hardware or software. When in doubt, ask permission!

We here at the Nexus want to thank the BioWare team for their very liberal policy. This welcomed stance in support of the modding Community is very much appreciated.

Xorial

Xorial

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
A little late in the game to be making those kind of pronouncements, isn't it? I mean after all of the mods that have been made & such. Now, how about that toolset for DA2?

setiweb

setiweb

Ordinary Average Guy

• Premium Member
  • 7,694 posts
I also would have thought "How come there isn't a DA2 toolset?" would've been the heart of the communication from the Nexus Staff to the Dragon Age development team.

lordlunacy

lordlunacy

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 368 posts
While it is true that making this announcement comes a little late, it's good to know their official take on the subject...or course nothing they stated is a surprise. Very nice to see they support modding of their game; DA2 toolset would have been nice. Hope they continue to have the same feelings when they release DA3, better yet, I hope they release a toolset with DA3.

Thandal

Thandal

Faithful Kobold Companion

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,505 posts

I also would have thought "How come there isn't a DA2 toolset?" would've been the heart of the communication from the Nexus Staff to the Dragon Age development team.

How do you know it wasn't? :whistling:

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 20,529 posts
If you think we'd have any influence on their decision to release a toolset for DA2 then think again. Last I heard they consider the Nexus "competition".

XTR3M368

XTR3M368

Foe Hammer

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
well, judging by the way they have the BSN set up, you would think that doesn't matter a lot to them. That site doesn't even let you skip to the end of threads without "cheating" and the search funtion is archaic. If they were truly worried about the Nexus, wouldn't they do something to their social network to make it more user friendly? That is the difference between the Nexus and them.....YOU listen and try to add improvements we suggest that fit within your vision of what the Nexus needs to be. They allow their network to stagnate and don't even fix obvious flaws.....not much competition on their end.

iluvit333

iluvit333

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Well I'm completely insane, however, I do strongly believe they will not release a toolset due to, at least partially, embarrassment. With the DAO toolset you can see every structure. I know there are some "band-aids" in DA2 that would be exposed with a toolset. They did some seriously different things in DA2 and they cling to the combat of the game which is quite good. Maybe for secrets...maybe for embarrassment...maybe a little of both. They are smart enough to know they'd be fools to mess with Nexus. Nexus increases playing of their game and buying of their DLCs by a substantial amount. To quote a post from one of my mods, "you brought back my will to play the game." Money talks.........

Edited by iluvit333, 31 August 2011 - 08:53 AM.

RamonXick

RamonXick

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
i love when bioware fail like this..

tmptmp

tmptmp

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip