Nexus Mod Manager, the Nexus Client, entering closed BETA

Dark0ne

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great! I've been wondering about something like this for a while. :D Good luck making it work with all games, but I probably won't use it until Skyrim comes out, as I don't play many of the Nexus-Supported games now (I recently discovered Minecraft :P), but I always look forward to things like this, and I love seeing people working together for the community. Edited by cpocurtis

This is a great idea, thanks to all invovled for putting so much time, effort, and thought into this.

But i do have one concern;

I run multiple clones of Oblivion using TES4Manager, each with completely different mod setups. Currently, i need seperate installs of OBMM & Wrye Bash for each. Will the new client be able to support this type of setup? I have found too many benefits from multiple clones to be willing to give them up.

And also a suggestion;

Concerning read-me files (and images) - I don't like the way the current managers handle these, i have found it much easier to create a seperate folder for them in docs. That way i can reference something quickly, without having to open OBMM (not sure how Wrye Bash handles them, i only use it for the bashed patch).

Concerning read-me files (and images) - I don't like the way the current managers handle these, i have found it much easier to create a seperate folder for them in docs. That way i can reference something quickly, without having to open OBMM (not sure how Wrye Bash handles them, i only use it for the bashed patch).

Wrye Bash does just that, ie. places all readmes and other documents into \Data\Docs\ .

sounds sweet! how will it work for people who already use FOMM or OBMM? will the client detect that those programs already exist on your computer and just copy the info in them or will we have to redownload mods for the client to take over managing the mods we have currently installed? Edited by griz024

I obviously do not know the capabilities of this software, but unless it keeps accurate track of all prior installed assets, backs them up (and continues to track changing assets on the fly) and restores them in their entirety after un-installing a mod (as Wrye Bash does), then it will be just as useless as a real manager as OBMM is. It would be nice to know that it does this.

This is pretty neat.

We are releasing the Nexus Client under the GPL license, which is something you'll probably not find with any other site that releases this sort of software. This means you'll have access to the source code of the client to make sure we're not up to any funny-business. It's not just to show that we're being completely transparent with our software, but also because the GPL enables you to help us with the development of the client, or make your own versions, plug-ins and adaptations to it. We really, really like it when mod authors work together, share their work with others and allow other mod authors to use their work. We want to set an example here and say "here's what we've made, please, use it, modify it to your liking, make it better and share it with others". Copyleft licensing is something we think more mod authors should aspire to.

May I suggest setting up a git/svn repository or something along those lines? It would allow other programmers to easily get the latest source code, and apply bug fixes, updates or features of their own and they can then simply commit those changes for review so they can be merged into the "official" code if they meet the requirements.

C# isn't exactly my language of choice but I think I could commit a bug fix or two if it were possible. :P

Edited by Argomirr