The skeleton gains some muscle

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,419 posts
So things are moving along quite nicely now. Traffic to the site is practically on par with the traffic numbers from TESSource which is always good news and the feedback has been excellent.

Many people like the new design of the site and quite a few don't but that is to be expected. All of us inherently resent change so when something you've been using for several years has a make over you're going to feel a little lost and aggrivated. Probably the biggest niggle has been the blog-esque all-right navigation on the site (this site design is actually a rework of a blogging template used on many sites). I personally really like it, it takes up the same amount of space as a left + right navigation system (ala TESSource) but everything is centralised into one area; content all on the left and functionality all on the right, which makes sense to me. There's been a few haters who, quote, "just can't stand it", which I really cannot understand. Sometimes I think that people just aren't willing to come to terms with change and just want it "how it was", which just isn't possible.

From 6 years of running all these various Elder Scrolls related sites I've learnt a great lesson; you most definately cannot please everyone. Some people didn't like the TESSource layout and now really like the Nexus layout. Some people really liked the TESSource layout but don't like the Nexus layout. Some people like them both. So how do I cater to all these needs without making my job hell and limiting functionality and efficiency? That's what I'm trying to find out.

Obviously one of the best ways to do this would be to let the user decide how they want the site to look. Do you want the navigation all on the right or on the left and right? Unfortunately that brings in some problems of its own. Will I have to edit several different stylesheets to accommodate everyone when I make a change to the site? That obviously isn't desireable to me. It's something I am looking into.

Abramul

Abramul

Cat-in-a-Basket

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts
One option would be to have an option for the left control column to use small icons. This would significantly reduce the width, which, if memory serves, was one of the bigger complaints about having both columns on one side of the page.

nymanith

nymanith

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Trying to please everyone would be a big hassel ... I don't really care about how the site looks as long as it all works ... Note : When I put my little cursor in the 'search' text field the font is white on a very pale yellow background so I can't see what I'm typing ... you should make the text in the searchbox a dark color ... but other than that, I'd leave it alone ... people will get used to it.

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,419 posts

Note : When I put my little cursor in the 'search' text field the font is white on a very pale yellow background so I can't see what I'm typing

A browser plugin on your end is causing this. Take a look at your settings to fix it.

Siadhail

Siadhail

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
I personally love the new site. I didn't like how when I searched for mods it was in a block style, but then I saw the flat style, changed it, and there was awesomeness. I actually really like all the links on the right. To be honest, them being on the left strained my eyes. This site pwns. And I know what you mean by traffic. I just uploaded my first file yesterday, and already it's been downloaded by somewhere over 70 people. The Phoenix rose, and we saw.

ninja_lord666

ninja_lord666

Ninja Wizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
As you can tell from my sig, I miss TESSource. I like TESNexus, but TESSource was like another appendage to me. You cut off my arm and replaced it with someone else's. You're right Dark0ne, the only reason I like TESSource more is because I don't like change. Although this new arm is better than my last one, it's still a foreign arm.

pofflesenpai

pofflesenpai

Cynical Anarchist

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
The title of this topic reminds me of how Milla Jovovich's char in The Fifth Element was made :P Anyway, I always tell myself and others that you can't please everyone - it's impossible, as in it will never be possible. EVER. PERIOD.

Like I said, I like the new site better, and I think it's for the better so you can distance yourself away from the old Gaming Source (or TES Source as it was really the only site with the most activity :rolleyes: ). I think what we need now is to have a Quake Wars Nexus, which could also include Quake 4. And maybe in the future when id Software releases Doom 4, there could be a Doom 4 Nexus... ;)

ninja_lord666

ninja_lord666

Ninja Wizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

I think what we need now is to have a Quake Wars Nexus, which could also include Quake 4. And maybe in the future when id Software releases Doom 4, there could be a Doom 4 Nexus... ;)

Well, that would just be QuakeNexus and DoomNexus. It's called TESNexus, not TES4Nexus. ;)

Gankaku

Gankaku

Faithful poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
I just have to say that I liked TESS and I like TesNexus. I'm just glad things are back up and running. You can't please everyone all the time.

If you feel like it, if YOU want, if you have time later, maybe you can make another style sheet or two. Then you can use those little web utils so the user can change up their look.

pofflesenpai

pofflesenpai

Cynical Anarchist

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
@ ninja_lord666: Dat true ;)

@ Gankuku: The only way I know of that you could change the current layout (if you don't like it that much) is with Firefox and the "userstyles" extension. You could (if you know what doing, that is) use a "style" to customize how a website looks WITHOUT actually editing the site itself. It is pretty handy, so I just thought I'd mention it.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.090 seconds