The skeleton gains some muscle

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

random007

random007

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 309 posts
The site is good - great even. I think most of us are just glad to see a resource this big available at all. Anyone who "hates" the layout of the site must be living a very luxurious life indeed.

So cheers and well done...

TheThirdRace

TheThirdRace

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 834 posts
I think it's pretty obvious you can't please everyone with your new design. But I also think this is related to which part of the brain each one use the most (left or right).

First, you must accept the fact we read from left to right.

So, you have the people who use more their left side of the brain, the rationnal half. For them, the actions, what you want to do, all the stuff you need to navigate has to come first. So they will prefer a design where the navigation pane will be at left since it's the first "logic" step. As simple as that. Those people won't really like the current design since the news, the fluffy stuff comes first and it's kind of chaos out there, it's not rationnal, not "logic".

And then, you have the emotional people, those who use more their right side of the brain. They will want to deal with the fun stuff first, the thoughts, the news, the pictures and let the boring "logical" stuff at the end. Those people will like the new design since it reflect their personality, they don't want to be bored with technical stuff, they just want to see the goodies.

In my opinion, I don't dislike the new design, but I would prefer for sure that the navigation pane would be on the left side. It's the "logical" choice, it's more natural since we read following that direction and it's really easier to find what you are looking for.

Let put it this way, "emotional" people will always have a little bit of chaos in the way they manage all their things and they will adapt themselves to everything even if they don't really like the look of it. But those who are more logical won't be able to adapt themselves to the new design since they can't "regress" to chaos, it's just annoying. Each time a "logical" person will look at the site, they will see a flaw in it, chaos, something will be missing for them. That won't be the case for "emotional" people as long as you put some esthetic into the site.

So I guess I would opt for the left navigation pane if I had a choice.

Do what you want with YOUR site, you don't always have that luxury so use it all you can!

Nice work by the way

Suzarn

Suzarn

Journeyman

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
@TheThirdRace
Your post made me laugh pretty hard.
I have a minor in Psychology.
Developmental, Abnormal and Normal.

How people prefer to interact with this site has nothing to do with logic or emotion.
Me for example. I am quite dead in the emotion department.
By your statement, I should love to see this site with the nav on the left, since I do in fact make all my decisions based on logic and not emotion.
But guess what, I like the nav on the right side. The major factor being that I am right handed, so I like controls(the nav) to also be on the right side. As everyone should know, the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body.
Which again, by your post, I should like the nav on the left side, since by your post, the left side of the brain is the logic portion.

mboy99

mboy99

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Nah, you can leave the site the way it is; you've put enough hard work into it! bb

SickleYield

SickleYield

Mygalomorph

• Premium Member
  • 984 posts
I love the new layout. Thanks for all you're doing to keep the site going - most of us would have nowhere to host our mods otherwise.

FC4

FC4

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I like it overall, preferred the Source layout but don't really mind either way. However, logging in on Nexus didn't work, I had to go into these forums specifically in order to login and give a comment. Annoying...

But so long as I can keep my mod uploaded, I'm cool with it.

Elgen

Elgen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I think it's all quite alright. Been through quite a few changes during my time here, but I can't say it's too much of a fuss to me. The people are still the same.

stamdd

stamdd

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
There is problem with Texnexus right now, the mods descriptions are not been displayed and the first link does not work and the second does not load...:(

madgamer

madgamer

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
I find that this is a better site not so much for
the way it is now done but because it is maintained and kept current much better than the old tessource site. I vote to keep it this way and keep up the good work.
The only thing on my wish list is that there could be a way to test the MOD's in the way they interact with the other MOD's. This is not possible as I see it but it is a nice thought.

Madgamer

mercury00

mercury00

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
I'm not sure if you use Firefox (about 40% of web users do), but your css shows up a bit buggy. Mainly, your 'right-side' bar acts a bit like jello, but the 'left-side' is completely liquid. This really makes viewing the pages in a small window (so as to monitor other windows at the same time) essentially impossible, as all the words in the 'content' pane on the left get squished up into fragmented words. Wondering if you could test your pages out in different web browsers to see how they behave before publishing? (Also, just so you know, your main page, texnexus.com, contains 60 errors according to w3 standards, <www.validator.w3.org>, which might have something to do with the buggy dispay problems in firefox)

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.000 seconds