• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

mercury00

mercury00

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Wow, just reading some of the comments. For all you psychology minors, let a Neuroscience Major bust a few myths for you: there is no 'logic' half of the brain. Lateralization of the brain, while important, does not break down into such broad categories as logic and emotion. Like your brain, good web site design should incorporate both. Intuitive, organized layout goes a long way for usability of a website. Unfortunately, learning html is far easier than understanding the principles of design. (If you want any other brain-myths busted, let me know, there's a lot of them out there).

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,432 posts

I'm not sure if you use Firefox (about 40% of web users do), but your css shows up a bit buggy. Mainly, your 'right-side' bar acts a bit like jello, but the 'left-side' is completely liquid. This really makes viewing the pages in a small window (so as to monitor other windows at the same time) essentially impossible, as all the words in the 'content' pane on the left get squished up into fragmented words. Wondering if you could test your pages out in different web browsers to see how they behave before publishing? (Also, just so you know, your main page, texnexus.com, contains 60 errors according to w3 standards, <www.validator.w3.org>, which might have something to do with the buggy dispay problems in firefox)

What browser are you using?

The site is definately not optimised for viewing in small panes, and will probably never be.

mercury00

mercury00

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
According to validator.w3.org , it looks like you have some xml mismatches with your <div> s. (also there seems to be quite a lot of missing and invalid format elements, like h1 h2, p, etc.) I've got to assume the buggy dispay is because of the multiple html errors (maybe your php?), since the css seems to check out fine (which I had incorrectly suspected to the the problem).
I use firefox 2.0.0.9. I use a 22" monitor at its default 1280x1024 res, (not widescreen), but making assumptions about how web users are not going to view your page (such as in a smaller pane to monitor other opened windows) is a bit of a faux paus in web design. (I'm hoping this is helpful, I love this site because nobody else has the organization and collection of mods this one has, its so good that I hate having to use any other site)

mbishop63

mbishop63

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
My monitor is in the shop and I have to use a tv with resolution set at only 800x600. Your website when you go to the recent listings page doesnt seem to work very well at this ultra low resolution. Thanks for making the best modding website around :D

Corvvyn

Corvvyn

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Love the service you provide and great work on the style of the new site, very professional and nice to look at.

However I must say I am like many others and find the right hand navigation horrible and counter intuitive. Everything on windows is on the left side, windows explorer directory structures, the start menu, drop down file menu's, tools in just about all software etc. Not to mention you read left to right and visually jumping accross the entire screen between menu elements and reading text is bad. Being different for difference sake is just simply not worth it, big software companies and almost all websites stick to the left hand nav layout, and I think its possibly because well...its just better and its what people are used to. It is of course your site and your free to have it as you wish, but I guess keep in mind that what you as an individual likes isn't always what the majority of others like and when making things for public consumption majority wins *shrug*. Maybe make a poll on it?

p.s why are the comments in backwards order on the main site? another strange design decision?

Suspiria

Suspiria

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
I personally do not mind the changes. I am glad that I can just keep getting the free content. lol I must admit though that I am still trying to get used to it not being Morrowind Source anymore, let alone no longer being TESSource. lol

thechewu

thechewu

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Only thing thats missing is ability to see comments without clicking on comments button.I like previous look better but this one is fine too.it just needs some color added to look more alive cause it looks dead with gray all over it.
Chewu

nickives

nickives

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
The new look rules, it's a massive improvement on the old layout. Much cleaner and simpler. In fact the niceness of this new layout got me to reinstall Oblivion (been about 7 or 8 months since I last played)) and try out all the latest mods!

Ruirick

Ruirick

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 37 posts
I really like the tabs. Great job! I do appreciate your hard work on this. You have made an AMAZING site. THANKS!!

redhead33445

redhead33445

• Premium Member
  • 11 posts
I think I preferred the previous style, but maybe only because I haven't been here much in a while, so the new format hasn't had a chance to grow on me.

One thing I'd like to suggest, though...

I can never tell if I'm already logged in or if I need to log in each time I navigate to this site. It would be helpful to have something that says, in effect, you are already logged in (some acknowledgement of my username on the home page). This is done on many other sites so I know it can be done.

Thanks for all the years of providing this great service to the community!!

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.058 seconds