Making My Mod Less Exploitable

Hmm, I dunno - couple of ideas:

How about adding a little extra padding to the mod - quests/scripts that are never triggered. Items that are never used. Or, inserting code into scripts with conditions that will never be met.

Um... I was going to say don't forget to strip out all the comments from scripts, but I suppose you could throw in a few red herrings here and there. Not forgetting to change variable names from iVeryImportantMiniGameVar , simply to "x" - or again, give all the variables misleading names.

Basically, add lots of junk that (we hope) will have any would be "cheaters" scratching their heads as to the purpose of. :wacko:

Just some ideas... :shrug:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great minds think alike. In the OP I edited it to list all the viable options, and already added that! Although in a one liner.

Script Deception. Writing scripts that look like they run very important features that in reality do nothing. But you know what? I'm not actually sure if I beat you to it... It has to be within a minute difference between your post and mine rofl. But I hadn't thought of making bogus quests. Great idea. I suppose I will reword Script Deception to General Deception.

I'm kinda loving this a little. It's almost entertaining. A big think-tank on exploit-proofing out mods, rofl. It's a little fun, I must say. It's getting me more and more in the mood to mod, but that's still impossible till I get a mouse! I can't move in the Render window without muh middle mouse button. :( And all I have is touch-pad.

Funny story.. On the first mod I ever made, Deathcrag Citadel (A prerequisite to that lump o' junk Blackscar Citadel), I actually did make a .esp you couldn't open in the CS. Entirely by accident. If you opened it it would delete the entire .esp. If I knew how to do that, I'd tell you. But it's possible!

Purposefully causing bugs.. That's one I've never tried.

Idk if I want to make a purposeful bug like that.. I mean, if a staff or something said it was okay so long as I gave them instruction on how to open it properly I'd totally do that, but idk lol. It's one thing if it just happens, it's probably another if I did it on purpose.

I THINK you could open up the file in Notepad, add a letter to the beginning or end and that'd make it unopenable, but I also think that's against the rules. I'm not sure. I suppose I'll add that question to the same one about exe to the mod I asked, but I'm not holding any hope.

Maybe it was the .TES bug? If it's .TES does it still keep its playable ability? Who knows. Anyways, I'm trying right now to think of added steps and deception rather than permanent uneditability now.

Be well, sleep well, fight well, live long.

~Ranokoa

Perhaps run a large script that resets anything they may change that is named something obscure, with an obscure quest ID to link the script to, and make it run a code that resets the base armor rating to whatever it is for example, or the weapon damage. Hell, perhaps even one to change the enchantment to what you had it to. I have no doubts this would require OBSE. I know there are commands to do this with OBSE however. Nothing really stopping someone from changing the layout of the dungeon though, or from changing amounts of something. Although if they change the amount, you can put a script to make sure it doesn't do more than what you want it to. Really, this is just making it more complicated and not too many people bother to even change it in the CS :P

EDIT: Purposefully causing bugs? Sounds hard.

Edited by Guest

Hmmm.. Good idea. I was thinking of using OBSE anyways. Normally I don't.. Actually, I can't think of a single released mod of mine that does. I'm also not that learned with OBSE. But I have little doubt myself that this will require OBSE eventually, so that is also a wonderful idea. I know exactly which commands your talking about to. It might, however, be beyond my skill, as I'd have to make it run once at the start of the game, and once each round transition. Doing this without causing bugs might be problematic for me, so I'd have to test it out in my Testing World mod. Actually, that's on the other computer.. I'd have to make a new testing world mod rofl. But awesome idea. Most definitely will be very seriously considered.

Never thought of that. Having the mod automatically undo any exploits. Added to the OP list! :D Thanks!

Anyone else?

Be well, sleep well, fight well, live long.

~Ranokoa

PPPFFFFFFTTTA MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Omg, Ub3r, you made me laugh so hard. So very very hard. My god how brilliant!

EDIT: :wallbash: I've got to stop getting distracted when writing, and then not reread after I was distracted. I saw what you said after I posted, got distracted, and forgot to make an edit rather than a reply. >_<

Edited by Ranokoa

Writing garbage data to an .esp for this purpose can potentially have adverse affects on the game, highly inadvisable. Not to mention against the spirit of modding.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think you're too focused on the idea of someone downloading a mod for the purpose of cheating in it. And if someone does, so what?