Remember Daggerfall?

caterpie

I actually have Daggerfall installed, but the graphics are literally so bad that it is unplayable for me. Before anyone starts howling can I explain? I am pretty short sighted and would just like to improve them a bit so I can see where I am going. I am not expecting it to look like Skyrim. But does anyone have any tips for just sharpening it up? Best configuration settings?

What you peeps are saying about how good it is, is inspiring me to have a go!

Daggerfall is now free on bethesdas site, however, being the newb I am, I cant get it to run

There's a download somewhere that bundles it with DosBox all good to go. I can't figure out DosBox, so it was a lifesaver for me. I can't find it now, though! But here's a link with some good info if you're more inclined to figure it out than I was.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/General:Playing_DOS_Installments_under_DOSBox

a daggerfall "installer" comes with dosbox and a front end that does everything for you all you have to do is play the game

http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN

there is one for arena too it is in english http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?title=Arena_:_ArenaSetup

I have very vague memories of Daggerfall it was such a long time ago. I remember the horse and the way its head bobbed about in first person. Also I remember being able to camp where I wanted, pretty sure it was Daggerfall not certain though.

I remember I enjoyed the game, thats the main thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Daggerfal has more guilds and more quests.

But nearly all the guild quests are a randomized series of templates. Eight, for example, in the Mage Guild. Save first; don't like the one you've been given? Quit, reload, and you'll get another. There was no sense of their being attached to a specific quest giver, nor any real variety beyond the eight.

Compare the Mage Guild quests in Morrowind, for example. Finding those mushrooms for Balmora's alchemist--or swapping out a fake item for the one her rival had. These were relevant to the alchemist, helping to define her personality, and to explore both the land nearby and the guild, itself.

This isn't an argument against an excellent game, which Daggerfall clearly is. But in the matter of guild quests, I'd suggest--speaking purely formyself--that the sheer number, specific character, and variety of those in Morrowind trumped Daggerfall's greater variety of guilds.

What Daggerfall had, above all, was the sense of expansiveness that ES titles have never caught, again. Oblivion and Skyrim are less detailed than Morrowind, but they never got that sense of being able to locate yourself in a given city and start to build up your character the way Daggefall does.

"Remember" Daggerfall? How could I forget it?

It was the only game I ever played which wasn't even playable upon release, and still grabbed my attention so deeply that it changed my viewpoint on what a video game could be FOREVER.

And those dungeons! So sprawling and dense, so same-y, so cookie cutter.... and yet for the time so atmospheric and memorable!

There are a lot of features in that game I wish Bethesda hadn't dropped from their later releases... like climbing walls, for example.

And those dungeons! So sprawling and dense, so same-y, so cookie cutter.... and yet for the time so atmospheric and memorable!

Yes, it was another case of a limited number of designs randomly chosen (in most cases) when you entered. I remember how shocked I was when my first character entered a dungeon. I spent about 30 minutes in there before it crashed. When I reloaded and entered, it was an entirely different layout, one I recalled from the last dungeon I'd tried.

Great, sprawling things. You were never sure what lay behind the next door. Nowhere near as realistic as latter dungeon layouts, and certainly not as varied as Morrowind's, but great fun.

• 1 month later...