Remember Daggerfall?

caterpie

Funny, I played Morrowind first then Oblivion, and then I got Daggerfall when it became free - and I was still amazed by it. It is just such a dark game and has so much atmosphere that it makes the game feel more alive then the other ones ever did for me.

Most people will disagree with me, but I prefer daggerfall's world and quests to later TES games. I just feel like I'm in a limited world in later games, and I hate when I get high enough and run out of things to do. I never had that happen to me in DF though.

And while the dungeons are crazy, they are possible to do. I like them better because it's one of the few games where dungeons are dungeons. Most games have simple dungeons that are cakewalks - but those were full of traps, monsters, and were so damn deep (but you could avoid the deep ones if you really payed attention). That's something I really like about skyrim - even if the dungeons aren't exactly complex (they are simpler then oblivion in most cases) some make pretty good use of traps - which I love. The few games where dungeons actually feel like dungeons I'd say are Daggerfall, Diablo (Diablo 1 especially), and older MMOs like Asheron's Call.

And the music was great:

It was the only TES game where I didn't need to get a mod to make walking around at night absorbing, and where the music didn't try to sound like a movie, but compliment the atmosphere instead. Yeah it had a lot of problems like repetitiveness and glitches (which are mostly fixed with all the unofficial patches, minus a couple of crashes and the Void - oh god) but if you got past them it really is a remarkable game, especially considering when it was made. It's fun, atmospheric, scary, and gives the player such a sense of freedom.

Anyone who's put off by the graphics should check out the XL engine - its a project to inject DF into another engine (with several other games) to be able to mod it like later TES games, improve the graphics, etc.

http://xlengine.com/

Edited by Bloodshot12

• 4 months later...

I played it for 10 years never finished the main Quest. You could wear a dozen different pieces,(ie 2 different shoulder pieces there effect was Very realistic) of armor climb walls, there was a Climb skill. And there was so much lore. And the radiant Quest generator was way better than the one in Skyrim. You have(27 day) to (rescue) the (inn keepers daughter) from the (harpys) before the (Eat) (her) And (Banker Fort).

(27 could be any number ) (innkeepers could be any one in town )( daughter could be son ) Harpy could be a dozen monsters (depending on monster it could transform in stead of eat . Location could be anywear but monster choices seemed affected by locations as Vampires tended to be tombs. Were creature open Glades. And You Mad multiple wear-creatures! Spent Trying to become a Were Boar very rare and powerful.. 3 different Vampire clans! Sound effects Way better than Skyrim and spell generator and Item maker way better.

And character creation way Better even though Way complex, Mages required Advantage in creation that slowed leveling and you could take disadvantages. I had a Nord that hated Magic Was nearly untouchable by it, Could not cast it (had no mana) that regenerated berserked and Was a master of 2 handed swords that could slay elves! At creation... Very different now since morrowind by 20 level every character starts looking like a Battle mage, Perks helped but Skyrim still dose it even though its not lore friendly Norns are suposed to hate magic but u need soul trapped Gems to power and recharge your weapons ...So by level 50 you Will be a mage and in skyrim become a Archmage finishing quests regardless of how much magic you know....all you know of magic is level 1 candle spell, you are Archmage in full plate with 2 handed sword........................Thats really stupid.

Edited by dragonsouce

Good shout Rennn, I have been keeping half an eye on DaggerXL for over a year now, it seems to be still in pre-alpha at the minute (has been for some time now), but when and if, it ever gets to a full stable release, I will certainly play it, without the complexities of using a dosbox.

The person who's working on it seems to post every few months, so it looks like it's still alive. The last I heard he was working on some kind of potential for multiplayer, in at least a few games for the XL Engine. I wonder if he'll integrate it into DaggerXL at some point?

I am glad to hear it's alive and kicking, I guess once the basic game is a fully stable DaggerXL, that it will be tweaked and refined, and I expect the modder scene will have some creative ideas to improve it even more. Multiplayer I think, will be high on the agenda, though possibly after the initial release.

• 3 weeks later...
I liked how you had the chance to prove your innocence when arrested. I didn't play much of it, i got out of the starting area and messed around a bit in the towns. I should consider getting it again since its free on the bethesda website c:

I found myself getting bored (not at the game) but at the characters in this game. Although they do have a back-story, I still don't get to know the characters in this game so well. Whether they are sarcastic or not, whether they are calm or very hyperactive. Usually in this game you are just giving a huge textwall to read that has the character telling you to do something. Although I do guess that this is the main disadvantage of a game of such scale.Doxepin Edited by gyaMe

• 3 months later...

"Halt. Halt. Halt. Halt. Halt."

"Vennnnngeannnnnce..."

Oh yes, I remember Daggerfall. :)

Daggerfall and Ultima 7 were my introduction to the RPG genre (could you ask for better ones?) and the reason I'm still such a huge fan of the genre today - part of me is still looking to recapture the awe I felt wandering these huge, complex, wonderfully detailed worlds. Among the things I adored about that game were:

-The random travellers at inns. You never knew who you were going to meet, or what sordid affairs they were going to drag you into.

-The complexities of meeting the Daedric Princes. You actually had to read in-game books, learn the correct dates to summon them, and bring the right offerings.

-The way vampirism worked. I mean, you actually died, for one thing. Then you woke up in your own tomb several days later, hacked your way out, and discovered that you were considered dead by the state (guild affiliations lost, debts erased, etc.). You'd slowly begin to discover what you were, and would later learn of your vampiric family - of which there were several. Ever since Oblivion, vampirism has become painfully two-dimensional by comparison.

-The multiple travel options. Horses, wagons, ships... awesome.

-The way enchanting worked. Anything could be enchanted to do anything. I always loved making myself a loincloth of levitation (ouch!), or a loincloth of fireballs.

There were many, many more enjoyable aspects to the game - this is just what comes to mind right now. God, I wish Bethesda was still the kind of company it was in those days.