Remember Daggerfall?

caterpie

I would really like to play the game, but I have tried installing it and using DOSBox and it just looks so godawful, I mean to the extent that I can't see what I am doing, too blurry. So DaggerXL looks like it could be the way to go for me.

I first started on Morrowind, and I thought I should try out Daggerfall, just to see. Well, I DISLIKE IT! It's too hard to control and yeah, basically its just too dated for me. Morrowind is dated too, but I found it much more fun than Daggerfall. :/

I first started on Morrowind, and I thought I should try out Daggerfall, just to see. Well, I DISLIKE IT! It's too hard to control and yeah, basically its just too dated for me. Morrowind is dated too, but I found it much more fun than Daggerfall. :/

Fair enough. I consider it "ahead of it's time", not "too dated", but that really comes down to when you started playing it.

Here's one more thing I loved about Daggerfall that I forgot to mention before: climbing, and all the fun that goes with it. You arrive at a city in the middle of the night, and the gates are locked and barred. Camping outside is a bad idea (that's vagrancy after all, which is a crime), so you decide to scale the walls. After a few tries and some embarrassing tumbles, you finally make it to the top. Great. Now all you need to do is get down.

You can't levitate, and jumping seems like a bad idea, so you run along the wall until you find a guard tower. It's locked. F***! You try to lockpick it, and fail miserably. Frustrated, you pull out your dai-katana and smash the damned door off its hinges. The noise, of course, alerts the guards. You dash down the steps and into the city streets, where you see a group of armoured figures clanking their way towards the source of the disturbance. You run like a madman until you manage to lose them in the shadows. Leaning against the wall of nearby home, you stop to catch your breath.

Something moves in your peripheral vision. You whirl around, and find yourself face to face with a hungry vampire. You scream like a little girl as it sinks its fangs into your neck, and you die horribly. As your vision fades, you have one last epiphany... getting arrested by the guards really wouldn't have been so bad...

Edited by JanusForbeare

• 1 month later...

I've been playing Daggerfall recently. I love the mechanics, the old-school RPG complexity it has. Wish you could control what you can in Daggerfall in the other ES games. Some things I don't like: The extremely intricate dungeons that take weeks to escape, the somewhat flawed quest system, and those ********** paralyzing spiders that purr.

Other minor annoyance: How it's illegal to so much as press the button to wait in a town. Would be nice if the warning the UI gives you was just that. Instead the psychic guards halt-fly their way to my and slap on some cuffs for standing around. I've now been banished from Wayrest for that. Heh.

I also don't know now what all the fuss about dual-wielding in Skyrim was about. They totally have it in Daggerfall. And mouse-gesture controls! They haven't even pulled that off! Bah!

One thing I thought was kind of cool about Daggerfall dungeons was that they weren't really level scaled...but on the over hand, they weren't wholly out of your character's league either. At the same time though, you could be in a dungeon populated with level 5 or so enemies...and hear the far-off laughter of a Daedra Lord (a level 20 enemy!). I think they were the early concept of Dremora before Battlespire introduced them, maybe.

• 3 years later...

Ah, Daggerfall...I still remember the king asking me quite bluntly, "What are you, a filthy orc-lover?" Now, if Daggerfall didn't remove adult encounters and prostitutes, then it would be perfect. And to the person who said the graphics in Daggerfall were horrible, I'd disagree - Morrowind is still worse (when it comes to graphics).