Mojave Restoration Project

DOOMdestroyer360

Is the original heightmap from the Mojave being reused, as in exported from the NV GECK and reimported into Fallout 4? This can be done with TESAnwynn and some manipulation in Photoshop.

If not, and if this much progress has been made already without it then I can only imagine that a very bad time is going to be had. When it comes time to actually generate terrain meshes and all of those mountain vistas beyond the ~2x2 quad playable area are missing.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the original heightmap from the Mojave being reused, as in exported from the NV GECK and reimported into Fallout 4? This can be done with TESAnwynn and some manipulation in Photoshop.

If not, and if this much progress has been made already without it then I can only imagine that a very bad time is going to be had. When it comes time to actually generate terrain meshes and all of those mountain vistas beyond the ~2x2 quad playable area are missing.

No. I assumed from the start that would be considered ported content, not to mention that this project actually ended up being much bigger than I originally intended. When I first started this I remade that part of Freeside seen at the end of my video first in a separate worldspace and the sole purpose was to bring back one of my favorite player homes from NV. After I had finished that, I just sort of kept going because it was fun to do and I wanted to see how accurate I could get it.

I'm a noob when it comes to this, but a height map is represented in the form of an image, right? So if it got to that stage, couldn't one just merge two height maps, the playable area being the one created in-ck and the other that surrounds it made separately? Would that work or is my noobishness showing through?

Quick question: Would you be willing to open this up to other bidders once it's in a completed state? I ask since this would be an absolutely invaluable bidders resource as a new land for quests.

Possibly, but I'm currently undecided about this. We'll see once it's closer to completion, but if anyone has some interesting ideas for it feel free to PM me.

This is an amazing thing that I don't think you've been given the accurate amount of credit for. I mean, seriously.

Dude.

This is amazing for one person who is self proclaimed to be "Not that experienced" to be doing. Don't let the scope or interest from other parties dissuade you; what you're doing at your own pace, at your own aim for scale, is an unprecedented feat and I can't wait to see what it can become. Look at what Rockstar did with the map of San Andreas, how they kept the landmarks and some of the areas and then drastically changed everything around that. Or even look at how Bethesda has totally redesigned so many things from the 3 and NV era; Look at Protectrons, Sentry Bots, Plasma Weaons, Power Armor, PipBoys, Vaults, things are all different now and I don't think we should expect or even necessarily WANT this to be exact.

A recreation of Fallout New Vegas with its items, weapons, armors, quests and characters is a tasty possibility, of course, but setting that aside as the nigh impossible feat that it is, the idea of this world space eventually becoming the scene of a visit to what the Mojave has become since the events of Vegas, seen from the eyes of the Sole Survivor - the Vaults redone in Boston style, the Hoover Dam interior and maybe exterior totally updated, the thought of what Vegas proper will look like - is, to me, a much more exciting idea. Keep at it, keep thinking up these changes that you've been making that deviate from what it was, because this is a really promising and eye opening endeavor. Imagine the atmosphere once Lod works; seeing the freeways and mountains in the distance, the Lucky 38 looming over it all, all with Fallout 4's lighting and soundtrack...

Tl,dr; gg, dude. Gg.

Edit: You should consider - if you're seeing this as Vegas in the time of FO4 - deciding what ending was canon, since it hasn't actually been confirmed - https://www.reddit.com/r/falloutlore/comments/2ts6re/what_is_the_canonical_ending_for_fallout_new_vegas/ - and adding cosmetic changes of whatever scale you desire that reflect the impact on the Mojave because of this. Is it littered with crucifixes and death and destruction due to Caesars Legion? Did the NCR win? House? Y'know what I'm saying. Not quests and stuff, just cosmetic changes.

Edited by JamesonBarringtonpenny

This is an amazing thing that I don't think you've been given the accurate amount of credit for. I mean, seriously.

Dude.

This is amazing for one person who is self proclaimed to be "Not that experienced" to be doing. Don't let the scope or interest from other parties dissuade you; what you're doing at your own pace, at your own aim for scale, is an unprecedented feat and I can't wait to see what it can become. Look at what Rockstar did with the map of San Andreas, how they kept the landmarks and some of the areas and then drastically changed everything around that. Or even look at how Bethesda has totally redesigned so many things from the 3 and NV era; Look at Protectrons, Sentry Bots, Plasma Weaons, Power Armor, PipBoys, Vaults, things are all different now and I don't think we should expect or even necessarily WANT this to be exact.

A recreation of Fallout New Vegas with its items, weapons, armors, quests and characters is a tasty possibility, of course, but setting that aside as the nigh impossible feat that it is, the idea of this world space eventually becoming the scene of a visit to what the Mojave has become since the events of Vegas, seen from the eyes of the Sole Survivor - the Vaults redone in Boston style, the Hoover Dam interior and maybe exterior totally updated, the thought of what Vegas proper will look like - is, to me, a much more exciting idea. Keep at it, keep thinking up these changes that you've been making that deviate from what it was, because this is a really promising and eye opening endeavor. Imagine the atmosphere once Lod works; seeing the freeways and mountains in the distance, the Lucky 38 looming over it all, all with Fallout 4's lighting and soundtrack...

Tl,dr; gg, dude. Gg.

Edit: You should consider - if you're seeing this as Vegas in the time of FO4 - deciding what ending was canon, since it hasn't actually been confirmed - https://www.reddit.com/r/falloutlore/comments/2ts6re/what_is_the_canonical_ending_for_fallout_new_vegas/ - and adding cosmetic changes of whatever scale you desire that reflect the impact on the Mojave because of this. Is it littered with crucifixes and death and destruction due to Caesars Legion? Did the NCR win? House? Y'know what I'm saying. Not quests and stuff, just cosmetic changes.

Thanks c: Yes, the implied canon ending for NV in this mod is the Yes Man ending, as that's the one I got the first time I beat the game. Factions will all be returning in some form, but there will be some changes to them. This is why the Ranger Unification Monument at the Mojave Outpost is partially destroyed, after the events of the Yes Man ending part of the agreement for NCR to stay in the Mojave was for the statue to be pulled down by the securitrons, so now only part of it still stands which IMO looks just as good. There may also be some new smaller factions as well; since Caesar is dead in this timeline, the Legion will be broken up into smaller tribes while the remaining loyalists will be only the toughest and most experienced Legionaries that survived the battle. There will also of course be some familiar faces returning as well, perhaps even a few of the NV companions at some point. I'm eager to get into that stuff, but the world space is the most important part right now.

Dude.

Tl,dr; gg, dude. Gg.

Thanks c: Yes, the implied canon ending for NV in this mod is the Yes Man ending, as that's the one I got the first time I beat the game. Factions will all be returning in some form, but there will be some changes to them. This is why the Ranger Unification Monument at the Mojave Outpost is partially destroyed, after the events of the Yes Man ending part of the agreement for NCR to stay in the Mojave was for the statue to be pulled down by the securitrons, so now only part of it still stands which IMO looks just as good. There may also be some new smaller factions as well; since Caesar is dead in this timeline, the Legion will be broken up into smaller tribes while the remaining loyalists will be only the toughest and most experienced Legionaries that survived the battle. There will also of course be some familiar faces returning as well, perhaps even a few of the NV companions at some point. I'm eager to get into that stuff, but the world space is the most important part right now.

Oh, definitely. All that stuff is exciting to get into, but what you're doing just creating the world - even without any interiors - is ludicrously impressive. I'll follow this closely and I mean I offer my support to help out, but I'm afraid I don't have the computer power to RUN Fallout 4 let alone the knowledge of the creation kit to help hands on. Even so I am starting to add to the community and learn and I would love to help if I ever could.

Looks nice. So how is this going to work? Is it going to replace the overworld of Fallout 4 or is there going to be a train or some type of transport like a Vertibird going to it?

Maybe once your mod is done, you can add more buildings and locations to the map. I always felt that New Vegas was a bit lacking in that department. I know its supposed to be a desert but for a video game desert, its kinda bland.

Looks nice. So how is this going to work? Is it going to replace the overworld of Fallout 4 or is there going to be a train or some type of transport like a Vertibird going to it?

Maybe once your mod is done, you can add more buildings and locations to the map. I always felt that New Vegas was a bit lacking in that department. I know its supposed to be a desert but for a video game desert, its kinda bland.

From what I've read and understand, this won't actually be a mod in itself, he's simply recreating and partially reimagining the landmass. Once that's done, I suppose you'd have to ask him what the plans are with it but I don't expect anyone would want to use it to replace Boston.

If it's added to the world, it would very likely be travel-able via train rather than Vertibird. In the course of Far Harbor it is stated that the Vertibirds belonging to the Brotherhood (Or taken from the Enclave) weren't outfitted to reach Far Harbor even. As the crow flies, from Boston to Bar Harbor (Far Harbor) is 200 miles. To Las Vegas, It's 2372 miles. Assuming that Vertibirds after Far Harbor's events can make it roughly 200 miles in one trip, that's like. 11 stops, and that's assuming they have the resources and fuel for every one of those stops if they don't come across points to scavenge. Whatever your character decided to take with them, firepower to defend themselves while they're there... It's all very inconvenient by the sound of it.