Making a female qunari in DA:O

amycus

Hi, this is at the moment just an idea in the back of my head, but exactly what would be involved in making a female qunari working in the game, aside from the mesh, and textures? I have noticed while playing around with the toolset that when you choose to show a preview of an item of a specific race and gender combination you can choose "qunari" and "female" (of course nothing currently shows up since there isn't any resources so for for them in the game). What I wonder is, is it possible to "just" make the mesh and textures of them, make and rig it to a skeleton built like the other vanilla ones and export them with a name begonning on "qf"?

For example, say that I make a qunari female head, rig it to a human female skeleton and export it as "qf_uhm_basa_0", then do similarly to the other body parts (qf_arm_nuda_0, qf_glv_nuda_0, qf_boo_nuda_0).

would that then be pickable and ready to use in the toolset?

Reason I ask is because I would like to add a female qunari as a shopkeeper to one of my current mods, and thought I would make one as a modders resource.

Edited by amycus

• 3 weeks later...
well it seams like it should be possible to do what u described. i must admit i thought of it a few times myself. although u might need to enlarge the female skeleton a bit to fit a female qunari model, but ye it seams doable to me. i might take a crack at it myself after i'm done with a hairstyle mod i'm currently working on. anyways, the best way to know is to try what u described and see if it works. :thumbsup:

I havn't had too much time to work on it myself, since I too need to finish some other projects. So far I have just played around with making a head, though it's hard to tell if it will look good or not in the end while she is still "bald". I'm also careful to not change too much in the areas of the mouth and eyes to avoid any later hassle with lip-sync and her closing her eyes.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/amycus89/scan.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/amycus89/rats-1.jpg

For the moment it is in the size of a human female, but I later planned to simply scale everything up, skeleton included and then export it. In 3ds max, such changes will be reset in the scene straight after the export, but it should be fine if I then just reimport the newly exported, scaled, rigged character, and continue to work from there.

Edited by amycus

Not in the pic I posted before, but I'm planning to redo the horns completely to fit the concept art more. I will see what I can do to change the face shape as well, so it isn't too obvious that I just used the human female head as a base. Just need to make sure that the areas of the eyes and mouth are remained largely untouched for reasons said before. Edited by amycus

This looks very interesting and promising projext Amy.

So this is what you meant by your 'other' project.

Well I am sure you will be able give us another great mods.

Can't wait to try it ! :thumbsup:

Edited by edriano

• 2 months later...

Has been some time since my last post. Has been pretty busy lately, but will have some more time soon to start modding again, and thought I would make some preparations on how I want the final look to be. I looked around a bit of fanart to just get a feel of how people in general think the qunari female look like (because even if the official concept art looks awesome, It's a bit hard to get the head right from that perspective (also, my earlier attempts so far tend to make the face look too "cute"). Found the pic below and thought I would try to shape the head around that. Also considering to move her head slightly forward in relation to the body, in comparison to the humans. Thoughts before I get started?

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lub2bzaOYm1qziohoo1_500.jpg

No idea who made the pic, otherwise I would post credits.

Edited by amycus

• 2 weeks later...

Top of the head obviously needs more work, but I'm a lot happier with the face now, when she doesn't look quite as much as generic cute female human #2.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/amycus89/scan-1.jpg

Edited by amycus

• 1 month later...