Multiplayer

borgmaster

Multiplayer would utterly ruin the game. As someone else said: Not now. Not later. Not ever.

You think, "well co-op is just like having a hireling, only smarter!". Except that it isn't, because your hireling won't suddenly decide to kill every NPC, or decide that they'd rather go chicken hunting in Winterhold, despite you wanting to travel to Karthwasten. Hirelings follow you, and won't screw your game. The exact opposite of a player-controlled ally.

To quote Oblivion's persuasion NPC dialogue - "Not now, not later, not ever."

Multiplayer will kill Bethesda's Elder Scrolls. The day multiplayer comes is the day I'm not getting an Elder Scrolls game.

I never get this line of thinking. What is wrong for people to have an options to play the game with other people. No one is suggesting that this be turned into an MMO or that there should be no single player. Not only that but the idea of a co-op multiplayer would mostly be used by people that want to play with thier friends. If you are worried you friend is going to screw over your game why would you want this kind of friend to begin with?

Are TES players the biggest shut-ins in the gaming world that they can't get the concept of wanting to play with your friends?

At least the developers reasoning made sense in that they didn't want to take away from the rest of the games development to work on it.

Multiplayer would utterly ruin the game. As someone else said: Not now. Not later. Not ever.

You think, "well co-op is just like having a hireling, only smarter!". Except that it isn't, because your hireling won't suddenly decide to kill every NPC, or decide that they'd rather go chicken hunting in Winterhold, despite you wanting to travel to Karthwasten. Hirelings follow you, and won't screw your game. The exact opposite of a player-controlled ally.

Multiplayer will kill Bethesda's Elder Scrolls. The day multiplayer comes is the day I'm not getting an Elder Scrolls game.

I never get this line of thinking. What is wrong for people to have an options to play the game with other people. No one is suggesting that this be turned into an MMO or that there should be no single player. Not only that but the idea of a co-op multiplayer would mostly be used by people that want to play with thier friends. If you are worried you friend is going to screw over your game why would you want this kind of friend to begin with?

Are TES players the biggest shut-ins in the gaming world that they can't get the concept of wanting to play with your friends?

At least the developers reasoning made sense in that they didn't want to take away from the rest of the games development to work on it.

Not that I disagree that a co-op would be nice... but I still see their reasoning just fine.... You add co-op and you take out many things in return,.. some things because they dont work in co-op, and some things for the time issue...

I would love co-op as well... but when I think about everything that would be taken out in return,.. no...

not many people would even get much use out of it im sure.

It's not a matter of being shut-ins... for me, it's a matter of playing the game I purchased as opposed to turning it into something it's not. If I want multiplayer, I play a multi-player game. If I want a single-player game, I play that.

I play TES games for the story, the world and the level of immersion that simply isn't available anywhere else. It's like a very indepth story in which I am the main character. I have no interest in inviting someone else into this world. Not every game can be multiplayer - nor indeed should they.

In my thinking, trying to turn a TES game into a multiplayer game is like trying to turn an apple into an orange. If you want an orange to begin with, why eat the apple and then complain that it's not orange-y enough?

It's not a matter of being shut-ins... for me, it's a matter of playing the game I purchased as opposed to turning it into something it's not. If I want multiplayer, I play a multi-player game. If I want a single-player game, I play that.

I play TES games for the story, the world and the level of immersion that simply isn't available anywhere else. It's like a very indepth story in which I am the main character. I have no interest in inviting someone else into this world. Not every game can be multiplayer - nor indeed should they.

In my thinking, trying to turn a TES game into a multiplayer game is like trying to turn an apple into an orange. If you want an orange to begin with, why eat the apple and then complain that it's not orange-y enough?

I still do not get how making Skyrim multiplayer is as you say turning an apple into an orange. To me what makes a TES game is not how many players are running around. Its the ability to get immersed in this large vibrant world that you are apart of rather then your standard RPG where you are just running through a story. What makes the game appealing is the ability to do what you want when you want. You can explore X area, you can fight some city gaurds. You can become a thief, a warrior, a powerful spell caster. None of this is removed just by adding another player to the mix. Infact all it can do is increas your options as you can now for example raid a dungeon with 2 completely diffrent characters and it can provide a new level of strategy.

You could even come up with some strange games to play with your friends. You could say your going to assasinated X NPC and it would be your friends job to stop you. The possibilites are vast.

The game is a single player game because thats what it is. Making it multiplayer would have little effect on what the game is.

The only real issue which I am willing to except is the development issue of time. The game couldn't be worked on forever and I could definatly see that adding multiplayer would have increased the development to a time frame that was not accetable and so it was dismissed. It is just a shame that it had to be that way.

Edited by MrScapegoat

The only real issue which I am willing to except is the development issue of time. The game couldn't be worked on forever and I could definatly see that adding multiplayer would have increased the development to a time frame that was not accetable and so it was dismissed. It is just a shame that it had to be that way.

exactly... RAGE added multiplayer(although I havent bothered to try it)

and I beat it in two work days, and even saw all it had to offer..... VERY disappointed...

im not sure its multiplayer is fully to blame,.. but I AM sure it contributed a good deal...

EDIT:

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/442457-multiplayer/page__pid__3666650#entry3666650

Read this...

Edited by El`derina

In principle, so long as they don't try to turn Elder Scrolls into a WoW clone where they ban mods and force always online internet connections, I'll be fine with multiplayer in Elder scrolls. I probably won't bother with it since I like to mod the crap out of Bethesda games but I won't object to the option of having more players in the mix. Choice is good. Stupid Diablo 3...

Talk of a multiplayer mod in Skyrim...

http://i.qkme.me/3529et.jpg

Not that we weren't expecting it, just praying that someone wouldn't be cruel enough to bring this debate back up.

Even if it were possible (which it will never be, simply the nature of a huge open world game that is as interactive and immersive as TES games), there are so many reasons it would break your game.

Quests - How would quests work? Once one person has done a quest, does that mean the other can't? Does that mean only one person can do the Main Quest, or each guild quest? What about the perks that these quests provide?

Information - Most computers had enough trouble processing the information that just one PC environment provided. Now imagine having to process this x 2 and on top of that and then send this information across the internet or lan cable to another computer whilst recieving and processing it back all fast enough to avoid lag... The only reason games like WoW work is because the game world is so static and unable to be interacted with in any meaningful way. On top of this, the game is programmed so as to only read one stream of user generated information. Trying to read two is like trying to shake hands with a 2d image, basically impossible because that whole other dimension is needed as infrastructure before you can even think about touching the image and making that dimension is fraught with so many problems in itself (estimating depth, guessing what the other side of the image looks like etc.). The programming language is working against you at every single turn, and trying to force it to give you any kind of meaningful results is like trying to torture a can of beans for information about the latest Russian space program. Even if it could give you information it would have no idea what you were talking about.

For the person who is talking about creating an 'immersive' experience through multiplayer, have you ever attempted role playing on a WoW server? Even on an RP server it is so difficult that everyone gives up. Everytime you see another player controlled character, you are reminded that this world is simply a construct. The point of this game is to leave the real world behind completely and I don't see how bringing a friend along is going to help you do that...

ur all talking about (well some) about what will happen with quest with fations and stuff

well easy

you cant get them

but think about this:

how cool is it to be standing with a group of players on Cloud Ruler Temple and like defend it from other players..he? sounds sweet to me

Yeah, like Warcraft was ruined when it went MMO, nobody wanted it anymore :P

Yeah MMO isn't going to happen, but I'd be happy with Co-Op of maybe 4 real friends instead of playing with imaginary ones :)

"To quote Oblivion's persuasion NPC dialogue - "Not now, not later, not ever.""

I seem to remember a car maker saying something like that when Journalists asked when a feature was going to be added to it's cars, then it going down the gurgle quickly afterwards. I guess they were right in one way :)

Had a polititian 20 years back declare something like that about whether we were getting a Goods & Services Tax too then introducing it after the election was over........

Edited by ozziefire