Request for a proofread of a Settlement Mod Guide, please.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

big thanks for this :wub:

THINGS YOU CHANGE IN THE CELL VIEW WINDOW:
Cell Common Data

· Cell View window

· Right click>Edit the Wilderness cell you are turning into you settlement

o Location drop-down = NAMEOFYOURSETTLEMENTLocation

solved the damn Workshop=island problem, was always wondering wat i was missing

also for this

XMarkerHeading- Drag from the object window into your cell and right-click>edit
(add Reference Editor ID XMarkerHeadingCenter for easy reference)-
· No other edits

also for this the center marker, under loc ref type you have to fill in locationcentermarker, drop down type center and it will show, its to make sure the quests files get the center ref type

Edited by speedynl

The formatting confuses me a little... I don't know what "§" is.

Content wise I'm totally lost but I've never tried to make a settlement. All I've done with the render window is place a magazine on the ground (and even though I messed up like 5 times before I got it right... one time I sculpting the ground by mistake). Grammatically and spelling wise it seems fine.

Maybe it's just because I'm a visual thinker, but one suggestion that comes to mind is pictures / screenshots.

The formatting confuses me a little... I don't know what "§" is.

Content wise I'm totally lost but I've never tried to make a settlement. All I've done with the render window is place a magazine on the ground (and even though I messed up like 5 times before I got it right... one time I sculpting the ground by mistake). Grammatically and spelling wise it seems fine.

Maybe it's just because I'm a visual thinker, but one suggestion that comes to mind is pictures / screenshots.

..."§" is.?

I'm gonna assume you meant the inconsistent bullet points? Yeah, forums kept screwing that up. I'll try to sort that out later.

And I noticed it's almost impossible to read on a mobile device (though I won't even try to fix that, sorry mobile peoples).

When I get back, I'll go over it a little better.

I probably won't do pictures...I thought about it (and started to), but there were sooo many that it got really hard to keep track of.

Thank you, Speedyni. =)

also for this the center marker, under loc ref type you have to fill in locationcentermarker, drop down type center and it will show, its to make sure the quests files get the center ref type

Hmm, say that one more time...and speak slow for me, I'm tired. ;-)

Did I miss a setting for xmarkerheadingcenter?

Edit: I think I got what you meant...and I'm not sure that I agree that it's necessary, but I'll add it for now. =)

Edit: I think I got what you meant...and I'm not sure that I agree that it's necessary, but I'll add it for now. =)

(i'm just a n00b trying to pretend he now something :laugh: ) din't say it was necessary just a sort of fail save to make sure it get registered

edit

btw the name outofsight is kind of misleading it decide where to npc's spams, was always wondering where they where, after some testing that dam marker was to blame, and without they just spam somewhere in the cell/map

Edited by speedynl

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, this works, very nicely too! Thanks for writing it up.

The only thing that is missing are the stats when hovering over the location on the map. Any idea?

But beside that it's working very nicely thank you, settlers arriving, assigning to jobs fine, etc. Great!

About the tutorial itself, it's a bit odd that you've put adding the WorkshopWorkbench at the end of that section, when it's one of the first things you need to do to be able to set up all the linked refs? But everything else was clear and easy to follow. There is absolutely no way I'd have ever figured out all those extra steps (like Zone and Quest stages etc).

Edited by m0ds1984

Well done, this works, very nicely too! Thanks for writing it up.

The only thing that is missing are the stats when hovering over the location on the map. Any idea?

But beside that it's working very nicely thank you, settlers arriving, assigning to jobs fine, etc. Great!

About the tutorial itself, it's a bit odd that you've put adding the WorkshopWorkbench at the end of that section, when it's one of the first things you need to do to be able to set up all the linked refs? But everything else was clear and easy to follow. There is absolutely no way I'd have ever figured out all those extra steps (like Zone and Quest stages etc).

Are you doing an interior or exterior settlement?

Far Harbor or Commonwealth?

Reason I ask is that I've only seen the "missing are the stats when hovering" is on interior settlements in Far Harbor (running into that problem helping someone else with their interior...in Far Harbor, heh).

Out of curiosity (because common issues with new locations):

-Did you confirm supply lines, by the way?

-Can you dismiss companions at/to your new location and they actually stay/go there?

As for the order in the list (and it really is a list more than a guide)? My reasoning was that since the Workbench linkedref's to many other things (more than the others), I thought it easier to understand by having it at the end (of that section) because all the linkedref objects would already be there to, well, linkedref (can I say "linkedref" enough times? no thesaurus for a made up word, heh).

Thanks. The one I mentioned is exterior > commonwealth

Strangely when I tried Brook whatever Lighthouse in far harbour (a while back) simply placing a workshop there and the mouse hover stats showed up. I could never figure out why that was but nowhere else (let alone Brook thingy not even being an official settlement). That's the only time I got it to work, how though I have no idea. I tried a commonwealth interior settlement (again before reading your tut) and it didn't show then either.

I did not confirm supply lines. Nor tried companions sorry. I'll give those a go though.

My view is that I followed your tutorial once and it worked. Other people seem to be having problems, maybe that's cos of that Workbench placement at the end rather than beginning. Maybe it worked for me because I knew to do that first. Dunno, just an idea! :smile:

Edit: Quick test before bed. Sending and picking up companion to/from settlement seems to work fine. Assigning settler (at other settlement) to supply line SEEMS to work, though they haven't turned up at my custom settlement. May be due to my custom settlement being up on a Western hill with not so great access, I don't know. But also; pressing C in the map does not show my settlement as an option, and so no supply line (actual line) is seen. regards

PS. There are a few oddities that I've had before following your guide, so it could be my setup entirely (and other mods I'm using). For example I'm sure "Barn" was added with Far Harbour in workshop but it never appears anymore. Brahmin feeder disappearing (seems to be a known issue) happened in my custom settlement (made thru your guide) but that's entirely likely not related. My point is, the "no stats" thing on map could definitely be due to something my end. I'd need to give it a go with no other mods and just dlc perhaps.

PPS. Tried a new settlement and this time it's both showing the stats on map and also appears when pressing C (to view supply lines). So nooo idea what's different about this one or whether I followed a particular step slightly differently to make it work this time round. Haven't actually tested the supply lines yet but nice that it's appearing on the map properly. Will let you know what I find out.

Edited by m0ds1984