[WIP] Beast Master - Creature Companion Overhaul

steelfeathers

There needs to be a rule against lurking - no lurkers allowed! :tongue:

But seriously, if anyone has opinions or suggestions for this mod, please share them! I'm always open to new ideas.

EDIT: Reposted, because no one will go back a page to see the update...

The "Happiness" system has been successfully implemented! Now, your creatures will grow to love or despise you based on your actions.

A few notes...

• All creatures start off at "Neutral" happiness
  • Happy creatures get a boost to their defenses, their speed, and their damage output. Unhappy creatures do not perform as well.
  • Happiness is increased by traveling with your creature (and soon, by feeding them treats and giving them accessories)
  • Happiness is decreased by shooting them outside of combat (you monster!), or using a mutating serum on them.
  • Messages will display periodically to show how your creature feels about you. And you can check their happiness at any time by talking to them and choosing "Check in". (This will also display their stats)
  • If you abuse your creature enough, it will come to hate you, and there is a chance to will turn feral and attack you.

Mutating serums have also been implemented. These are powerful types of Syringer ammo that can only be crafted if you have the "Chemist" perk.

Currently, there are 3 types:

• Super Strength > The target deals 2x damage for 5 minutes.
  • Poison Claws > The target's attacks deal poison damage for 5 minutes.
  • Atom's Glow > The target becomes highly radioactive for 5 minutes.

Edited by steelfeathers

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, you caught me :laugh: I don't have any suggestions, but the mod looks great! (especially that deathclaw with the bandanna-- please tell me I'll be able to dress up a yao guai? )

Yep, you will. Aside from just general play-testing using my own character, finishing the meshes for bandanas and saddlebags are all I have left to do.

Sadly, there are some creatures that just won't be able to wear bandanas - mostly because they don't have necks. Radroaches, etc.

I have a quick question, will the mod be compatible with you "Exotic Creatures - Far Harbor Cages" mod?

It would be awesome to be able to have a customisable wolf companion along with Dogmeat. Speaking of, if it is compatible with your mod, does the wolf run ahead of you instead of behind like Dogmeat?

Thanks again for your time with the mod, I look forward to playing it.

Definitely. I almost want to combine the two mods, given how often I update the patch between them for my own play-through. ButI I won't, because some people will only want one or the other.

And yes, the creatures sometimes run ahead of you. I think it has to do more with the follower AI package than with Dogmeat specifically, though.

Another fun screenshot! (This one took forever to pose)

Here we have a Brahmin companion and it's Minutemen-dyed saddlebags. The saddlebags for brahmin use a distinct mesh that is different from any other type of saddlebag, and when worn gives them the highest carry weight of any type of creature companion. Which makes up for the fact that Brahmins are terrible in combat.

http://imgur.com/v4frl7L.jpg

The Yao guai looks great, I can't wait to have one following me around :D

Speaking of your Far Harbor Cages mod, are radrabbits and chickens available to be companions too? Or is it just the animals that can be used in combat?

No, sadly not. It's not just about combat - it's the fact that cats, rabbits, and chickens are "passives", which means that they SEEM to be full creatures, but they're really just shells. They're missing a lot of the functionality that is needed for a creature to be a companion.

Hey guys, so I could use a bit of community help with a texture problem.

I had this idea to make it so that you could apply cool "body paint" designs to scaled or shelled creatures - anything with paintable skin. This would make up for the fact that you can't give most of the scale/shell creatures any sort of collar or bandana.

However, I'm running into problems with the body paint texture. I can't get the alpha channel to work properly - either there is no transparency at all, or the whole thing is invisible.

Does any have to advice on how to handle transparency for FO4? I'm wondering if it's different than Skyrim...