Help with snappoints aka bsconnectpoints

vman0341

Question - is anyone aware of a hardcoded limit on the number of snaps an item can have?

I had a shipping container that had 14 nodes, 6 shippingstack to allow for brick and overlap stacking, and 8 shippingside to allow for side-by-side, L shape, T shape and straight line snapping. Sound awesome , right. No it was not, I mean it was, but it only worked one time and then every time after that it would cause ctd. I reduced down to a standard 6 point gridsnap setup I am using in my mod NSO ( http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13959 ) and the ctd went away. The funny thing is none of the node names were changed, only reduced in total number. Another thing I found out is that the P-planter node ( bethesda node i do believe) is absolutely incompatible with custom nodes and will cause my gridsnap model to do nothing or straight ctd. If anyone know the answer to either of these problems please let me know.

Snap points only cause CTD if you deleted the CPA associated and never collapsed the arrays. Otherwise there's no reason to have CTD, you must've borked it somewhere else.

And no, there's no limit that I'm aware of. The limitations will surely come from collisions though.

I assure you that's not the issue, I added node to the item, there were none to begin with. The issue has to be something to do with the total number of snappoints and the effect of said snappoints on existing world objects. I modified the large shipping container, and at first it worked fine, but the next time i loaded my game, i could not get not anywhere close to a shipping container or try to pull it up in the workshop menu or the game would crash. I then went back into the mesh assured everything was parented correctly and the my extra data associations were correct, which they were. The only way this issue was resolved was to remove snappoints which would lead one to believe that, wether intentional or not, there is in fact a limit as like I said before there were no other variables changed.

Edited by vman0341

I assure you that's not the issue, I added node to the item, there were none to begin with. The issue has to be something to do with the total number of snappoints and the effect of said snappoints on existing world objects. I modified the large shipping container, and at first it worked fine, but the next time i loaded my game, i could not get not anywhere close to a shipping container or try to pull it up in the workshop menu or the game would crash. I then went back into the mesh assured everything was parented correctly and the my extra data associations were correct, which they were. The only way this issue was resolved was to remove snappoints which would lead one to believe that, wether intentional or not, there is in fact a limit as like I said before there were no other variables changed.

I have 65 snap points on some random object I made myself. No, there is not sensible limit. Either your mesh is bad, or you've damaged some information (such as deleting info) in the process. Snap nodes themselves don't crash games.

It is a base game mesh. I deleted nothing, I properly added cpa points, It is either a limit or a negative reaction to existing world objects. Side note - what purpose would you have to place 65 nodes on any object and are all those nodes parented and named, because my mesh still technically has 14 snappoints but only 6 are named. If you went in and just changed the number to 65 of course it worked but if you named all of them and gave them something to attach to it is not going to work. not to mention it could have been an issue with too many of the same name nodes being used. I dont know what you would need 65 Named points for anyway, but upload that mesh and let me take a look at it.

13959-1-1464393914.jpg

Etheron - this is an image of the model with all 14 points, i see what you are talking about regarding the fact that there is no limit, it just doesnt make any sense how this went from working to not working without anything being changed, the only 2 snppoint names used in this were shippingside and shipping stack all parented to workshopconnectpoints. There was absolutely no other alterations made to this mesh, I edited both shippingcrateo1 and shippingcrate 02 the same exact way. They worked exactly as intended the first time .

13959-0-1464393914.png

But would cause a ctd everytime after that until removed all but the center nodes on the top, bottom and sides. maybe you could look into this or have a better answer than its a bad mesh or "you borked it" as i can assure i did everything correctly.

I am going to, because I'm making a prefab out of this. And what makes you think base game meshes are flawless? :D

The purpose was that the object is a tree platform of a large size that requires snap points on each of the 1024x1024 sides so floors, walls etc can snap to them. It works perfectly ;)

Edited by Ethreon