Quest Mod For Detective Work and Criminal Stories To Solve Around the Desert

99orazio

The title pretty much sums it up. New Vegas is a very moddable game where through a little bit of good writing and good voice acting, you can make just about anything look fitting and natural like it originally belongs to there. Thats partially because of the nature of the game itself and partially because of how high the lore of the universe sets the limits of realism yet with a fitting,dark, ironic, humorous absurdness to it.

My point is; out off all the crazy ideas and extreme efforts put into this game by countless amazingly talented modders, how come nobody decided to create a Sherlock Holmes game type of mod where you investigate crimes and mysteries, try to work your way out of clues without the help of quest markers?

The problem isn't technical because it must be like the easiest idea for a quest mod ever. Action would be minimum, and although it would be good there wouldn't nessecarily be any need for voice acting.

So is the problem that this kind of stories is too complicated for people to write and work out in the game, create its own scenarios and characters etc? Well you can simply copy from books and other games and Tv shows and movies and literally everywhere! All that needs to be done is to carefully adapt good ideas of crime stories into the New Vegas world!

It could be a job NCR is handing you involving some power controversy between a bunch of politicians, it can be a serial killer hunt in the Strip, it can be a Westside guard going rogue and doing business with fiends... i dont know! When you think about it, the possibilities are endless.

The idea is pretty simple and it doesn't even take that much effort. İt could be done New Vegas Bounties style, taking jobs one by one in an Office working as a private investigator, it can be a pack of quests scattered around the map, it can be a whole new story like Autumn Leaves which i absolutely loved.

Modders who are willing to work for such a simple yet promising and untouched idea can contact me and we can work on the writing together, because i dont have the requires modding skills to do any of it on my own and for dialogues and writing i don't think my broken english would be enough as you can see... but like i said. I would love to work on this with an eager modder who is willing to take a different, more story and observing based, less action packed kind of look at the courier's adventures in the Mojave desert.

I hope this draws someone's attention.

Edited by 99orazio

I do think one aspect of it is that such quests need some careful thought put into them. You need to start asking some serious questions about why, what and where, instead of just handwaving.

Another aspect is that making quest mods on the scale of Autumn Leaves or New Vegas Bounties is an intricate process that takes a very long time, even if you don't record voices for all the dialogue. Some modders have the patience for taking on these tasks, but most do not. And with the added intricacy of it being a detective/mystery story, I think that very few would actually have the capabilities to pull it off.

But I digress, I don't want to seem like I'm tearing your whole idea down. I would very much like to see what you propose in the game, and I genuinely hope that you find the attention that you need. I would be happy to lend a hand with scripting if it ever happens, but I'm just not the guy for the writing and questing stuff. I don't have the patience it requires. :)

If you can design the quest and make a planned out document then I'm sure someone would be willing to translate that to the GECK.

I've considered this idea many times before but my problem was that I could never be arsed to write a quest that both had to be both compelling, challenging, and complex but without being cumbersome or confusing.

It might seem like an easy process but it's a generally harder to make a non-combat based quest as opposed to a combat based one, both in design and in the GECK due to the amount of variables that are typically involved.