Problem with retexturing

Hey! :) I'm sorry if you've figured this out already, but I had the same issue and eventually sorted it on my own so I thought maybe I can help with some screens of what I did?

Ok so if you're using the Intel Texture Works plugin, when you open the .dds file you need to go to File> Open As> then navigate to the desired file. Click once on the file, then open it as an Intel Texture Works File like this (you may need to scroll up or down when selecting the file type - the ITW file is at the top of the drop down file list for me - also press no if you get the mip maps thing pop up you shouldn't have to worry about that I never do):

http://i68.tinypic.com/11rf2iu.jpg

Then when you open it, it should still have the transparent/alpha channels instead of replacing it with white (which happens when you open it just as a plain .dds file).

After you've worked on it and want to save it again, go File > Save As (make sure you are saving as an Intel Texture Works File again - NOT plain dds) and you should get this pop up:

http://i64.tinypic.com/2vcail1.jpg

You can leave everything as is, but with the texture type box you want to select Colour + Alpha (like I've hovered the mouse over). Press ok, and then it should be saved with the transparency! :)

The two different sets of tools are different. Only Intel's tools support compression types for textures used in Fallout 4.

I use Photoshop CS2 as well, and am able to make use of intel's tools on a regular basis.

While I think the intent of your comment is correct. The way it is worded is not.

Intel's tool isn't the only one to create supported textures for Fallout 4. It is one of the few (I only know of 2 including ITW) that can compress in the *new* texture compression formats. The old texture compression formats work perfectly fine still. So if you didn't have the Intel Texture Works tools you can still use nVidia's or the ones in GIMP to compress in the old formats. However I personally wouldn't do that since the quality loss is horrible.

Are you saying that Fallout 4 uses older compression types?

My comment is only incorrect if you take it out of context where 'Only Intel's tools' plainly means only of the two sets of plugins available for Photoshop, which are only the two that I know of.

Also, if you want to be correct about the actual tools Bethesda uses to convert textures, use TexConv or the Elric utility that Bethesda has now made available in the Tools folder.

@TrickyVein I tried the Intel Texture Tool myself, and no surprises, it doesn't work at all with CS2; can't import .dds into PS. I have no idea how you've managed to get it to work. I'll have to look into getting CS6 I guess if I want to create retextures.

To get back on topic, this is the location of where I copied the Intel plugin: Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins.

Edited by TrickyVein

FO4 uses DXT1 for diffuse, no alpha, and DXT5 for alpha, and BC5 for normal/spec. Nvidia's DDS plugin works for diffuse, but not for normals and spec. Let's just clear that misinformation up.

Anyway, for your case, I don't know which texture you used, but if there's an alpha channel, you can easily load it by selecting Select -> Load Selection. If an alpha map exists, you should be able to choose 'Alpha 1' for the channel.

Hey! :smile: I'm sorry if you've figured this out already, but I had the same issue and eventually sorted it on my own so I thought maybe I can help with some screens of what I did?

Ok so if you're using the Intel Texture Works plugin, when you open the .dds file you need to go to File> Open As> then navigate to the desired file. Click once on the file, then open it as an Intel Texture Works File like this (you may need to scroll up or down when selecting the file type - the ITW file is at the top of the drop down file list for me - also press no if you get the mip maps thing pop up you shouldn't have to worry about that I never do):

Then when you open it, it should still have the transparent/alpha channels instead of replacing it with white (which happens when you open it just as a plain .dds file).

After you've worked on it and want to save it again, go File > Save As (make sure you are saving as an Intel Texture Works File again - NOT plain dds) and you should get this pop up:

You can leave everything as is, but with the texture type box you want to select Colour + Alpha (like I've hovered the mouse over). Press ok, and then it should be saved with the transparency! :smile:

Don't see how that helps at all, because that's a completely different problem. You're trying to save an alpha: OP wants to grab the alpha to use as a mask.

Edited by dazzerfong

This is from a Bethesda developer, and regarding how to format textures using command lines in TexConv:

The common ones are:
"-f BC1_UNORM" - for textures with 1-bit alpha or no alpha
"-f BC3_UNORM" - for textures with 8-bit alpha
"-f BC5_UNORM" - for two-component textures (smooth/spec and normal maps)
"-f BC7_UNORM" - for textures with or without 8-bit alpha that you want very good compression on. NOTE: Your computer will chug heavily or freeze for up to a few minutes when using this as it calculates the best compression.

DXT1 and "5 compression types are equivalent to BC1 and "3, but they're not exclusively used. BC7 level compression yields the best results.

FO4 uses DXT1 for diffuse, no alpha, and DXT5 for alpha, and BC5 for normal/spec. Nvidia's DDS plugin works for diffuse, but not for normals and spec. Let's just clear that misinformation up.

Anyway, for your case, I don't know which texture you used, but if there's an alpha channel, you can easily load it by selecting Select -> Load Selection. If an alpha map exists, you should be able to choose 'Alpha 1' for the channel.

Hey! :smile: I'm sorry if you've figured this out already, but I had the same issue and eventually sorted it on my own so I thought maybe I can help with some screens of what I did?

You can leave everything as is, but with the texture type box you want to select Colour + Alpha (like I've hovered the mouse over). Press ok, and then it should be saved with the transparency! :smile:

Don't see how that helps at all, because that's a completely different problem. You're trying to save an alpha: OP wants to grab the alpha to use as a mask.

Oh, well I'm sorry then. I just know that when you get the white instead of transparent stuff it's usually an issue with how the file is opened/saved. I was just trying to help.

http://i68.tinypic.com/11rf2iu.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2vcail1.jpg

I think this is the solution I've been looking for, although I concede that I'll have to upgrade to CS6 first in order to use the intel tool. Will let you know asap, but thank you so much for your response... I was getting pretty frustrated by this problem, especially when I initially decided it was best to start retexturing on something small haha! Thanks again femshepping :smile:

Edited by AGreatWeight

The two different sets of tools are different. Only Intel's tools support compression types for textures used in Fallout 4.

I use Photoshop CS2 as well, and am able to make use of intel's tools on a regular basis.

While I think the intent of your comment is correct. The way it is worded is not.

Intel's tool isn't the only one to create supported textures for Fallout 4. It is one of the few (I only know of 2 including ITW) that can compress in the *new* texture compression formats. The old texture compression formats work perfectly fine still. So if you didn't have the Intel Texture Works tools you can still use nVidia's or the ones in GIMP to compress in the old formats. However I personally wouldn't do that since the quality loss is horrible.

Are you saying that Fallout 4 uses older compression types?

My comment is only incorrect if you take it out of context where 'Only Intel's tools' plainly means only of the two sets of plugins available for Photoshop, which are only the two that I know of.

Also, if you want to be correct about the actual tools Bethesda uses to convert textures, use TexConv or the Elric utility that Bethesda has now made available in the Tools folder.

@TrickyVein I tried the Intel Texture Tool myself, and no surprises, it doesn't work at all with CS2; can't import .dds into PS. I have no idea how you've managed to get it to work. I'll have to look into getting CS6 I guess if I want to create retextures.

To get back on topic, this is the location of where I copied the Intel plugin: Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins.

I tried to add it where you suggested, as well as where it says to on the intel tool site (Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\File Formats) and each time PS tells me it's unable to open as it's an unsupported format.

http://i.imgur.com/HPNJEQc.png

Inside the Open As folder and looking through the various file formats, it's clear that .dds isn't supported - which means the intel tool isn't working for CS2...at least in my case. I think it's less hassle for me to just upgrade to CS6 when I can, but thanks for trying to help; it is appreciated.

Edited by AGreatWeight

Okay, I'm using a trail version of Photoshop CC. When I go to open as, I get this dialogue box (note that intel tool is available, I've selected it)

f35830584a.jpg

However, once the file is loaded this is what I'm presented with. The alpha channel is missing apparently.

f3642aceb9.jpg

I'm back to square one.

Edited by AGreatWeight

Are you sure the image is supposed to have alpha? Since the parts of the texture that would or wouldn't be transparent aren't included in the UVs for the object, it doesn't matter anyway.

I just opened it (Textures\animobjects\pipboy\HoloTape01_d) in Photoshop and don't see any.

What makes you think this image should have transparency?

Edited by TrickyVein

I'd just figured that it did, looking at it on a pixel level (i.e. zoomed in) to me there are a ridiculous amount of colour anomolies caused by the white merging with the actual colour of the holotape, as well as any other area where two different tones meet (like the area surrounding the 'button' in the bottom left. That white area has caused that & I'm having a hard time working out where the actual edges of the holotape are (as well as the precise points where one coloured part of the holotape ends and a different coloured part begins, which affects my ability to add/position certain layers of my retexture to it.

(I'm adding new plastic and metal textures to the holotape to make it look less new, a different colour scheme as well as adding a custom-made label and other details)

I haven't even opened up any other object textures from the game to check yet, but are all the textures like this? I don't know if it's just a given, but from my perspective, I'd see this as an obstacle regarding creating retextures.