Problem with retexturing

No, not all textures are created equal where unused UV space is concerned.

Any of the game's weapon textures provides a good example of where the background color matches an averaged value of what most of the gun looks like.

Even with transparency, you would still need to view the object's UVs to be able to accurately determine where the edges of the holotape's faces lie. Unfortunately, newer versions of NifSkope don't provide this feature for BSTriShapes, so you'll need to use another program like 3ds Max or Blender to view object UVs.

Ah, that's useful to know. I actually downloaded Blender a few weeks back, and I also have Mudbox waiting to be used. Maybe I'll keep this holotape retexture a bit simpler for now by not adding the retextures of the plastic & metal until I'm more familiar with Blender. Thanks.

Edited by AGreatWeight

• 3 months later...

To limit bleed, many textures are colored a bit beyond what is supposed to be visible on the mesh, that way the compression doesn't create white pixels, especially on mipmaps (which are smaller resolutions of the texture that are displayed when the object isn't loaded at full resolution, for example when it's further from the camera or on lower end rigs).

Apologies EmissaryOfWind, I only just realized that I didn't respond to thank you for this... really useful, and saved me having to redo my retexture (first version had seams -white pixels- along all the edges when added the texture to the mesh in nifskope) from scratch. Thanks again.