Should I be using ba2s instead of loose files?

mm137

What's the consensus on this? Is it preferable to package a mod in a ba2 instead of loose files, even if it's only a few of them? Is it just a texture thing, or is it beneficial for meshes, sounds, scripts, etc?

The CK is already generating these bas2s, I'm just wondering if I should put them up on the nexus.

If that were true then I'd expect 60% of mods on Bethesda.net to be broken.

I've never encountered this issue of scripts not being read from archives myself, but I routinely read comments that scripts aren't running. I suspect that this could be an incorrectly configured INI, perhaps from an old INI that users had set up for modding before the CK was released.

I suspect that this could be an incorrectly configured INI, perhaps from an old INI that users had set up for modding before the CK was released.

How would one configure the game to not execute scripts from within an archive?

I don't think it makes a difference, not on machines that are overly qualified to run the game(s), anyway. I literally have almost every asset from New Vegas as a loose file and have never noticed any long load times or performance issues.

For the bit of modding that I've done for Fallout 4, I also see no tangible difference between using loose files or packing them into a .ba2.

Realizing that this is just my own subjective experience.

I don't think it makes a difference, not on machines that are overly qualified to run the game(s), anyway. I literally have almost every asset from New Vegas as a loose file and have never noticed any long load times or performance issues.

For the bit of modding that I've done for Fallout 4, I also see no tangible difference between using loose files or packing them into a .ba2.

Realizing that this is just my own subjective experience.

BA2's are compressed. So that means any textures (in YourMod - Textures.ba2) you have in them are likewise compressed, which can greatly lower the size of your mod. I don't know if that still holds true for XB1 BA2 files, however.

As for BA2's "breaking scripts" that is simply not true. If it were, none of my mods, which all use BA2 files, would work at all for the mod users.

The only issue I have is that the game uses the script in the archive over the script in the files. Can cause confusion when you edits don't have an effect :D

I ran into this exact problem a few times too. Had to go into my INI files and tell the game to always use the Scripts folder. Problem solved. :smile:

Edited by Reneer

As for BA2's "breaking scripts" that is simply not true. If it were, none of my mods, which all use BA2 files, would work at all for the mod users.

Yeah, I wouldn't think so. I suspect that maybe not everything was packed into the archive in the one case which I mentioned where packed scripts appeared to not be working.