81 replies to this topic

sendo75

sendo75

Planeswalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
@dodger804
You are definitely not the only one but you probably belong to the smaller faction. Not playing DAO beforehand actually allowed you to enjoy DA2 without expectations unlike most of the fans who wanted and deserved more. Anyway, it is your money and time, all that matters is your own enjoyment, not what the others enjoy.

brokenergy

brokenergy

Damn it Luke!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

You want to know why? You answered it yourself:

And there are people in this thread that agree with him, including I who like DA2. Does that make me a "bad" RPG player for liking something else? No, grow up.

The only and sole reason to play DA2 is to make one appreciate what has been available in DA:O more. DA2 and DA:O are apart about as far as Hello Kitty and any Fallout. DA2 is in my understanding not a rpg, its a console hack and slash game leeching money off the name of its precedessor.

Do you even know what an hack n slash even is? Have you ever played real hack n slash? Let me tell you something; this entire site was built under a entire hack n slash game. Does it make it less of a RPG than DA2? Before spewing garbage know you facts and what terms even mean. There are people out there have played pen-n-paper for years (including me), have played Origins and find DA2 much more suiting to their style because it gives them more freedom to define a character. Just because DA2 didn't suit your tastes, doesn't give you the right to disrespect a gamer's taste of games. It's rude and you should know better.

amycus

amycus

Stupid Noob

• Premium Member
  • 1,505 posts

You want to know why? You answered it yourself:

And there are people in this thread that agree with him, including I who like DA2. Does that make me a "bad" RPG player for liking something else? No, grow up.

The only and sole reason to play DA2 is to make one appreciate what has been available in DA:O more. DA2 and DA:O are apart about as far as Hello Kitty and any Fallout. DA2 is in my understanding not a rpg, its a console hack and slash game leeching money off the name of its precedessor.

Do you even know what an hack n slash even is? Have you ever played real hack n slash? Let me tell you something; this entire site was built under a entire hack n slash game. Does it make it less of a RPG than DA2? Before spewing garbage know you facts and what terms even mean. There are people out there have played pen-n-paper for years (including me), have played Origins and find DA2 much more suiting to their style because it gives them more freedom to define a character. Just because DA2 didn't suit your tastes, doesn't give you the right to disrespect a gamer's taste of games. It's rude and you should know better.

um, he did say "in my opinion", so I fail to see why he is disrespecting anyone by being honest of what he thinks. And I actually agree that it is pretty much hack and slash, largely because of the wave mechanic (people say that they have improved this in the DLCs, but I havn't bought them yet)

That being said, I too am a bit tired of the whole "this isn't even an rpg", since there isn't really any defined line of what is required for a game to be a "true" RPG. But it is certainly less of an RPG than its predecessor.

because it gives them more freedom to define a character

Sorry, I can't agree with this, no matter how you turn it. They gave us their own defined character, with 3 clearly, colour coded paths that will give small alterations to the dialogue. Not to mention that you still have no idea of what your character actually will say before its too late... If you still prefer DA2 I can't say anything about that, but I can't agree with that being the reason.

Edited by amycus, 28 October 2011 - 05:11 AM.

rwh1

rwh1

Stranger

• Premium Member
  • 2 posts
I've played all three and don't see much of a difference. The are all fun in their own way. I don't believe DA2 gives the player as much oppertunity to improve their side kicks, but other than that the game seemed fine to me. I don't get what all of the fuss is about. The graphics are about the same as in the prior games and at least on my system the game has been rock solid, with an interesting story. I've read about a lot of disappoitment in the changes to the combat system, but I'll be darned if I can find them, since I don't play any differently in DA2 than I did in the prior games.

PostMortem22988

PostMortem22988

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

I've played all three and don't see much of a difference. The are all fun in their own way. I don't believe DA2 gives the player as much oppertunity to improve their side kicks, but other than that the game seemed fine to me. I don't get what all of the fuss is about. The graphics are about the same as in the prior games and at least on my system the game has been rock solid, with an interesting story. I've read about a lot of disappoitment in the changes to the combat system, but I'll be darned if I can find them, since I don't play any differently in DA2 than I did in the prior games.

Lucky you. I went from a difficult yet intuitive system of "Oh no... What should I do... DAMN... I need to get behind them to get my damage bonus or I'll need to load... DAMN I SAVED IT AGES AGO I WON'T DIE HERE!! DAMNIT STEN! PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT OR WE'LL NEVER LEAVE THIS PLACE ALIVE!!" :sweat: :sweat: :sick: :sick: :mad: :mad: :mad: :unsure: :sweat: :sick: :ninja: :sweat: :laugh: :laugh: :dance:

To "Oh... Just press this one button... Really...? :wallbash: "

And yeah... I really try to talk my in game characters into working harder... It works for me :whistling:

Endresss

Endresss

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
"DAMN I SAVED IT AGES AGO I WON'T DIE HERE!! DAMNIT STEN! PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT OR WE'LL NEVER LEAVE THIS PLACE ALIVE!!"
hahahahah u rly got me rofling...and thinking to start a new origins char:)).My first origins playthrough was a mage...on nightmare since im masochistic ofc...i remember the group of darkspawn with the emissary and the traps in korcary wilds...trampling me...twice!!"Damn it i rly have to spend precious points on healing/cc spells:/But mommy i like dps!!!"And my first(and pretty much only)"difficult" encounter in da2...the arishok duel.And that was difficult only because untill then even if i was a mage i didn t care to avoid getting hit and took me 3 tries to figure it out.pls appreciate honesty and dont make fun of me!There is 1 thing that i found harder in da 2 though...getting approval with the companions...they are all antagonistic so if u want them all with u in the end...its pretty much"wiki for you"

Edited by Endresss, 30 October 2011 - 12:10 PM.

dodger804

dodger804

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
One thing that put me off buying da origins is that your own character dont have any voice acting, one of the major component in a game with good story in my very personal opinion. A game without voiceacting feels stiff and not finished to me. So that was why i passed origins and went to da2 instead

amycus

amycus

Stupid Noob

• Premium Member
  • 1,505 posts

One thing that put me off buying da origins is that your own character dont have any voice acting, one of the major component in a game with good story in my very personal opinion. A game without voiceacting feels stiff and not finished to me. So that was why i passed origins and went to da2 instead

Having a voiced character is funnily enough the main complaint about DA2 among us others :tongue:

And if you put that much weight on voice overs you are missing out on true gems like Baldurs gate 2 or Planescape:torment. Got those games the same year as dragon age was released in fact, and enjoyed those greatly. Sure, having VO for the npcs would be welcome, but the story and the characters make up for that.

Necris

Necris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Voice acting for your character, atleast when you are not given 10 or so voice options, actually makes the game less of an RPG. Each desicion that is made for you, such as how your voice sounds, cuts away your freedom. The problem with cutting away options like that is that RPGs basicly revolvs around you having the freedom to act out the role of your character in any way that you feel is appropriate for him. BioWare's decision to have voice acting for your character, and premade name, thus made the game much less of an RPG.
Having said that, I agree with you that voice acting contributes to a story. Almost every descision BioWare did shifted the game series further towards the "interactive story", and away from the RPG, genre. Combat made easier, less options, less outcomes of events, less decisions, no branching dialogue, etc.
My guess is that DA3 will start with a complete character. He will run along waypoints the entire game. At important places in the story there will be a popup that wants you to press a key (yeah, a key, no mouse for you!) Y for yes, and X for no, and BioWare will guide you along a magic and impressive story, filled with dialogue that you can't interact with at all.

Edited by Necris, 31 October 2011 - 12:20 AM.

elvinkun

elvinkun

Coffee Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Well, while I actually liked the voiceacting in DA 2 and ME for example, it's not needed at all, remember KOTORs, BGs, Fallouts...and so many, many others? Don't tell me they are all "stiff and not finished".

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.090 seconds