Mouth / lip animation failed

BlueGunk

Everything was going fine, when suddenly NPCs, followers, Heimskr (in particular) stopped moving their lips to speech. If I activate and speak to anyone, everything is fine. Additional 'closing' comments, and Heimskr's boring speech have no mouth movement.

I know this is an age-old Skyrim issue, but it was all working fine until recently.

Tech details: yes, loads-a-mods. No I don't have SkyTest, yes I DO have Skybirds but popping it out of the load order makes no difference. I have "Female Facial Animation", FNIS, FNIS Spells, FNIS PCEA2. Looted, Bashed, Hand-adjusted, lullabies sung to it, firstborn sacrificed, you name it. Built with love.

Higher end system with GTX 980ti, loads of memory, unadulterated INI files (apart from a tiny increase to 1.3MS in the fUpdateBudget to accommodate some scripts for when I get a busy moment), ENB. The game is well within its limits.

I would appreciate guidance on things that might cause this!

Thank you!

Thanks RepusDude. Yes, FNIS all run, and run again! I've checked those web sites already and do have the Teeth mods installed a while back. I've fiddled with load order and tried a number of possible cures. This is really frustrating me!

In my game it is caused by scripts backing up.

I use lots of script mods. Testing with the utility that comes with Convenient Horse I found that if my frame rate goes below 52fps my scripts start to back up. The first symptom I get is the lip thing. For most of last year I played at 2650 X 1440 with ENB & maintained a frame rate of 60fps. So I had to play for a long time for this issue to come up.

A few weeks ago I bought a 3440 X 1440 monitor & now my frame rate is in the low 50s, high 40s. I may get one or two NPCs having lip issues in the cities were the frame rate is low.

Any time I attempt to play at 4k with ENB every other NPC in cities & towns have lip issues. My frame rate is in the 30s. That & many more CTDs make 4k with ENB impossible with my single 980 ti.

I could remove some script mods to fix the problem or ENB, but what's the fun in that.

I use an older i7 so my problem is quantity. Your modern i7 would fair better so look for a rouge mod.

Oh yes, I do have Skytest(love those 20+ spider/wolf spawns).

Later

Thanks Jones177. I ran Convenient Horses' latency test and got an average of 50ms, which is pretty standard.

In a previous play through I did get script lag (which was quite funny to watch as all the scripts suddenly piled through in one rush!) and I don't see signs of it in the current set up. I'll bear this in mind, however.

Now Freddark - THAT is interesting because I did recently install the lip-sync mod. I'll pull it and see what happens.

Update: no change. :-(

Thanks both! Any other ideas, please?

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

I got the lip issue, too, when I started using Open Cities. With Open Cities turned off, everything is back to normal. But I like this mod very much and would like to keep it.

Did you find a solution, by any chance?

Hi,

Were you ever able to figure out this issue. Mine is when I have Open Cities as well and I tried everything but I don't know how to fix it.