Scripters: Give Atom a try!

Gawdl3y

Haven't bought Sublime Text? Tired of its popup nagging you to purchase the software? Wish there was a free, better alternative? Along comes Atom! Atom is a free, open-source text editor that is very similar to Sublime Text in functionality, and is more flexible and user-friendly.

"That is our calling. To deliver Atom's message to a world that does not wish to hear it. To show Atom's power to all."

- Mother Isolde, Crater of Atom, Commonwealth, 2287

Okay, enough of the sales pitch. Atom is really fantastic, though. It's built on Electron, which is in turn built on Chromium and Node. It uses standard web technologies (HTML, CSS/Less, JavaScript) throughout the core, and as a result is insanely flexible/customisable. It has a fairly powerful package system built-in. The only downside is that it's slower to start up than Sublime Text, but that barely even matters in most circumstances. Virtually all of Atom's settings and functionality are accessible through the UI, so it's also much more user-friendly than Sublime Text, where you have to edit config files for most settings. Also, it has a really convenient name for the context. Praise Atom!

After purchasing Sublime Text 2 a while ago, I became a bit disappointed when development slowed down dramatically sometime after ST3 went into beta. Atom came in at just the right moment. I've followed its development closely since it was first released in alpha, when it was much simpler than it is now, and slow as molasses. It's grown and evolved into a wonderful piece of software since then. I would definitely recommend it for just about any kind of programming/scripting, if you're not using a full-blown IDE.

Using Atom

I've set up a simple guide on the wiki for using Atom for your Fallout 4 Papyrus scripting. It's located here.

I developed the language-papyrus and build-papyrus packages, so tell me if you have any feedback.

Been using Atom for a while now aswell (mainly for JS) and really liking it so far. By the way, check out floobits if you haven't already. Amazing plugin if you're working with multiple people on a project.

Been using Atom for a while now aswell (mainly for JS) and really liking it so far. By the way, check out floobits if you haven't already. Amazing plugin if you're working with multiple people on a project.

Floobits seems fairly neat. I haven't seen it before.