Skyrim Remaster w/ DLC for Consoles + Mods Rumor

Gamwich

Hello all,

Anyone else see this rumor from Shinobi602 about a remaster of Skyrim for the current gen consoles?

There was mention that it would include the ability to add mods, as Fallout 4 has just done. It may seem unnecessary to PC gamers, but I can see how it would appeal to Bethesda as a way to extend the lifespan of their major titles between new launches. I'm sure that if I only had the PS3 version of Skyrim, that I wouldn't still have interest in the game.

There are many PC gamers still playing Skyrim, but I wonder how manny console gamers still play the game.... not many, I suspect. The console people would never get all the graphical mods that PC gamers have, but their are so many great gameplay changing mods, and smaller additions that they could use. Bethesda would just need a way for mod authors to port their stuff for the new remaster. Any way, I kinda hope this particular rumor is true, because the more people get to experience the kind of fun that a modded Skyrim experience can be, the better.

Cheers,

Gamwich

Edit: Oops, I missed the fact that this info was already posted........ sorry about that. ;)

First I want to say you have a really refreshing outlook on console modding. Secondly, I feel the same way. Judging by user comments around the web there is a pretty large interest in the console community to be able to play Skyrim "all over again". I just hope Bethesda fixes their website before that happens though.

I understand that mod authors don't want their stuff stolen.... believe me, it's happened to me plenty with outside entities. Nexus can't protect us any better than Bethesda quite frankly. If people think their work is safe here, then they're fooling themselves. Yes, Bethesda.net needs to do a better job of policing their available mods, but this is all new for them, and they will learn.

Again, you have a very refreshing a reasonable perspective. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I do hope they get it together with the moderation of the mods, all in due time I suppose.

Edited by DaddyDirection

Considering that the Fallout 4 Creation Kit has provisions for bolts. effects such as radiation fall under magic effects, and so forth to the point of really just being an upgraded 64-bit version of the Skyrim Creation Kit, it really wouldn't be too much of a stretch to be able to redo Skyrim using Fallout 4's engine as a base to build upon from a 64-bit perspective, which would in theory allow for reduced instances of memory-related game crashes and higher audio and texture quality without needing to resort to Sheson's memory patch and ENBoost. Main thing would be to adjust things like the skill trees and other hard-wired aspects that would lurk in the executable file (i.e. shouts, werewolf/vampire lord transformation, experience gain for each skill, etc) and other non ESM or BSA files, and adapt them for the 64-bit engine. The remaining assets are already in place (Skyrim.ESM, Dawnguard.ESM, etc.), so theoretically the ESMs and BSAs from the original could just be transferred across with some minor tweaks here and there (namely higher resolution textures and possibly higher bit-rate or lossless audio), provided the necessary hard-wired changes are made in the executable and so forth.

The only trade off could possibly be the 2 GB limit for mods to cater for consoles, but there could be ways around that if it's not a cumulative limit (i.e. having a master mod with several dependent mods chaining off of it). Either way, I'd settle for an upgraded 64-bit version of Skyrim's Creation Kit, as I'm getting fed up with the standard one crashing left, right and centre on me.

The only trade off could possibly be the 2 GB limit for mods to cater for consoles, but there could be ways around that if it's not a cumulative limit (i.e. having a master mod with several dependent mods chaining off of it). Either way, I'd settle for an upgraded 64-bit version of Skyrim's Creation Kit, as I'm getting fed up with the standard one crashing left, right and centre on me.

Is the 2GB limit also for the PC version of Fallout 4? I don't recall them applying the limit to PC, just to console. Weird if it is.

Just to consoles only, AFAIK. Would be pointless for PC, considering that RAM on the PS4/XBOne would be more limited by default, hence necessitating the limit. Was the early hours of the morning when I posted that, so wasn't thinking 100% clearly at the time.

Edited by Notanon81