Fixing the issue with mods being stolen on xbox and possibly PS4 soon

Daxxtramus019

The best solution, and the one Bethesda should have started with was vetting, as much money as they make off of their games because of extra sales due to modding they can afford a 3 person team(that's all you need in reality) to vet, approve and upload mods for consoles on their site. Would consolers have to wait a longer amount of time to get mods, yes, but then they should also be sure that it wouldn't be stolen property and most likely has been optimized to work on the console version. That is the only smart and equitable solution that Bethesda has and the one they should have started with from the beginning.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your idea smacks of the POLICE STATE (guilty until proven innocent) and thus is offensive to all right thinking people.

"Verified content creator"??? Is that like how in the mega corrupt state of NY, you can't work as a computer programmer without a license purchased from state authorities?

Or how very wicked politicians demand that people must use their real-life identities at all time on the Internet? After all, only 'criminals' desire anonymity- eh?

NO- what people want is for Zenimax to NOT cynically turn a blind eye to stolen content on Beth.net as corporate POLICY (just as Google built the success of Youtube by ignoring the insane amount of stolen IP uploaded to that site).

The SOLUTION to Beth.net problems is for Beth to use a fraction of the BILLION+ dollars of FO4 sales to properly police the content. This would begin with a CLEAR and unambiguous FRONT PAGE statement on beth.net that mod creators EXCLUSIVELY control distribution rights to their mods. Followed by timely BANS of beth.net users who upload other people's mods, or encourage/defend the same in the forums.

Anyone who suggests the 'solution' to this problem is to place burdens on mod creators is a fool or worse. No-one should have to jump thru any hoops to make a mod. I appreciate that many who visit Nexus come from nations where freedoms and rights are effectively non-existent, and the state brainwashes its populace into thinking this is a 'good' thing (like nations that have lists of state approved churches that the people may join). But some of us still understand why 'BIG BROTHER' is a worse solution than any possible problem.

Ultimately, people are going to have to accept that Bethesda isn't 'nice', and that there is a limit to how much time and effort a sensible modder wants to direct at the crimes of Beth.net. After that, it will be better to just ignore Beth.net- the alternative is for a modder to bash their head against the brick wall of Zenimax until the modder is fatally discouraged with no damage done to Zenimax at all.

Another good way to stop theft is to make your mod require F4SE to work, even if it doesn't necessarily need it to function properly. For example just make one f4se-only script fire the first time you boot the mod up in game. It doesn't have to do anything in game but it's mere presence would stop it from being ported to consoles because there will likely never be a f4se for consoles.

Alternatively, you can build in an arbitrary (or acutally needed) f4se dependency, since that will most likely NEVER come to consoles.

This theft "wave" is almost certainly being fueled by companies such as Nvidia currently offering $10,000.00 for the best beth.net mod. All you have to do to enter is to provide a link to your mod on beth.net without proving it's even your original idea.

I typically like Nvidia as a company, but this was kind of a stupid idea for a contest. People now have 10,000 reasons to try to steal mods for their own selfish benefit.

I AM THE ALPHA AND OMEGA, I KNOW ALL THERE IS TO KNOW!

an f4se script activation for the first time you boot up the game would be interesting, then I could disable it because I don't trust f4se, because I am simple at mod usage, nevermind making, so the problem would go away o_O

alternatively, as someone who would most DEFINITELY look for all the mods to download that were "stolen" because they might disappear forever... :wink: the more you close your fist the more mods slip through your grasp...
so as someone who gets this whole thing, an outsider to "les artiste" type groups that are a bit insular and a bit too respectful of each other to understand the console plebs that I am so akin to while not being one of...

well, here, look, it's a solution, it's a solution I had made recently to the paid mods thing, and I suspect that this beth.net thing is a play to force modding to beth.net by getting people who aren't interested in beth.net to suddenly focus on beth.net instead of nexus, but this solution would put bethesda in its place, allow them to possibly make money if they do good work in not peeving the modding community, allow for moders who want to do things for money to do so, and encourage the hobbyist community to also do its work

thus paid mods would be more of a DLC package of comissions by bethesda for consoles, and not some old microtransaction BS, now the business cycle goes from bethesda making the next game with the last game's mods as part of it, it actually goes and hires you post-beta to make the game playable to begin with! throughout the life development cycle!
HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA BETHESDA AS THE PATRICIAN CLASS AND YOU ARE ITS PATRONIZED ARTISANS!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patronage

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4487595-ddp-my-mods-are-down-commence-attack-on-bethesdas-main-platform/?p=39101405

Edited by tartarsauce2

Your idea smacks of the POLICE STATE (guilty until proven innocent) and thus is offensive to all right thinking people.

"Verified content creator"??? Is that like how in the mega corrupt state of NY, you can't work as a computer programmer without a license purchased from state authorities?

Or how very wicked politicians demand that people must use their real-life identities at all time on the Internet? After all, only 'criminals' desire anonymity- eh?

NO- what people want is for Zenimax to NOT cynically turn a blind eye to stolen content on Beth.net as corporate POLICY (just as Google built the success of Youtube by ignoring the insane amount of stolen IP uploaded to that site).

The SOLUTION to Beth.net problems is for Beth to use a fraction of the BILLION+ dollars of FO4 sales to properly police the content. This would begin with a CLEAR and unambiguous FRONT PAGE statement on beth.net that mod creators EXCLUSIVELY control distribution rights to their mods. Followed by timely BANS of beth.net users who upload other people's mods, or encourage/defend the same in the forums.

Anyone who suggests the 'solution' to this problem is to place burdens on mod creators is a fool or worse. No-one should have to jump thru any hoops to make a mod. I appreciate that many who visit Nexus come from nations where freedoms and rights are effectively non-existent, and the state brainwashes its populace into thinking this is a 'good' thing (like nations that have lists of state approved churches that the people may join). But some of us still understand why 'BIG BROTHER' is a worse solution than any possible problem.

Ultimately, people are going to have to accept that Bethesda isn't 'nice', and that there is a limit to how much time and effort a sensible modder wants to direct at the crimes of Beth.net. After that, it will be better to just ignore Beth.net- the alternative is for a modder to bash their head against the brick wall of Zenimax until the modder is fatally discouraged with no damage done to Zenimax at all.

I don't know what the heck you are talking about AGAIN. All your post are from your own standpoint which has little to do with reality. Seriously, Big Brother? This is only about creating validated accounts for uploading mods (at bethesda.net) for a video game, not recording you while you go to the bathroom or registering your every single move and neither for discriminating you as a person. You should be responsible for what you upload on a public site, that's all.

Some things that need addressing, since it seems it doesn't get through no matter how many reasonable people repeat it over and over again.

1. By using the product (Fallout 4 & Creation Kit +bethesda.net mod site) you already agree to the terms of use and you are bound by laws in the region the game is distributed. Using any of it in region that is not-supported doesn't entitle you to break rules on a site that is hosted in supported region.

2. Bethesda.net allows users to gain money in form of donations and Nvidia contest ($40,000 worth of prizes). This calls for legalizing things even further, since you cannot just simply let everyone anonymously upload mods and have gains from it.

3. Politics and corruption have nothing to do with abiding law regarding intellectual property and terms of use.

4. Bethseda.net is an official site, not 3rd party fandom project. It cannot afford to function in a manner where there is enough leeway given to users to allow them to break law and rules with such ease.

5. Bethesda doesn't have billions of dollars in their pockets. Money they have earned from the sales already went into new projects, coverring expenses of the old ones, marketing, booking E3, creating DLC content, training their team on how to work with new engine, etc. They will be really carefull with their income untill their next game sells. It's absurd to think they have money just laying around. They would have to be as massive as Blizzard to be able to police uploads of non-restricted content from anonymous accounts, where one person can create multiple fake accounts. Things are more complicated when they have to fill paperwork for each reported or taken down mod. It takes time and costs money. They cannot function like Nexus where we have volunteer moderators, who trust each other and can make judgment calls and instantly ban an account. Bethesda.net needs a reliable system and in fact they are reworking their site to require less time for their support team to take down reported mods. Also soon you will be required to have your Fallout 4 copy bound to Steam account in order to upload content on bethesda.net.

6. If someone feels like he doesn't want to use bethesda.net, he doesn't have to. There is always Nexus or possibility to host your own site. Only Fallout 4 PC owners are able to use creation kit, so I don't see an issue.

Microsoft and Sony controls what you can have installed on your console, so bethesda.net has to be more strict with what they offer on their site or they might get short end of the stick.

7. Some texture and mesh artists already use watermarks on their work. Having a signature stamp for .esp's generated with CK would be no different.

I play both xbox one and pc people don't like there mods being stolen I get it I don't condone it but lets get real pc people aka elitist didn't want console's to ever get mods anyway cause then people couldn't throw it in the console people face's about how much better it is on pc.I play on both vanilla on xbox and modded on pc to have differents experience.Xbox one was never going to get goods mods if they didn't

I play both xbox one and pc people don't like there mods being stolen I get it I don't condone it but lets get real pc people aka elitist didn't want console's to ever get mods anyway cause then people couldn't throw it in the console people face's about how much better it is on pc.I play on both vanilla on xbox and modded on pc to have differents experience.Xbox one was never going to get goods mods if they didn't

Sorry, but this is plain stupid. You are just sticking "elitist" tag to the whole community, same as some use "console peasant" term and that doesn't make you any better. You have barely 5 posts and know nothing about modding community on the Nexus. If you weren't so ignorant, you wouldn't post comments like that.

Many great mod authors went out of their way and invested their time into adjusting their mods in order to make them work flawlessly on consoles and uploaded it on bethesda.net. Now you are just antagonizing them the same way the jerks commenting that re-uploading someones work is fine and even going as far as glorify ing the culprits, just because they are getting what they wanted and are content with it.

People like you don't even consider for a moment that most of the mods are in long term "Work In Progress" state and that it might take some time before finished project will appear on other platforms. Besides that no one, no matter on what platform is not entitled to having access to someones private work, unless the author decides otherwise. People should stop being spoiled, thinking they have rights to everything. Even on nexus you will meet a lot of people that in the end will tell you "Sorry, I made this for personal use for my character and I'm not uploading this". Guess what? We accept it and move along.

Besides that Xbox will be always limited by hardware and Microsofts license. This is something that cannot be helped and you should stop blaming modding community for it.

First off Nvidia should make it clear that using someone else's IP will disqualify them from collecting any reward and remind them doing so will also expose them to civil liability. If I were in charge of Nvidia, I would hand over the check for the reward to the pirate with police standing by so they get arrested on criminal fraud charges as well. This problem exploded for more than just money. If I was still only playing on console and I looked at what little was being offered on Bethesda.net compared to here I would have justified to myself downloading and transferring so I could use it on my console as long as I didn't receive money. Having said that, I have only been part of the modding community for little over a year and have never published or uploaded mods that I have created because they are for myself simply because they are personalized for me and altered frequently and not meant for mainstream consumption. My mods are like my children, in fact one of my created followers is based on one of my kids, so I understand the motivation of other modders out there that want to control the fate of what they create. I suggest that all modders state their position on weather or not they will allow their IP on Bethesda.net. That way if the console player believes or uses the rationalization that the mod author doesn't have the time but is okay with it they can be better informed. I am willing to bet that Nvidia giving cash rewards, trolls, and impatient console players are all of the possible causes for this. If you can think of any others I would be interested to know.

I believe that it is in our best interests to support console mod use for at least two reasons.

1. Share the wonderful world of modding with the world of console players and we will recruit more modders to our community thereby improving overall content.

2. Show console players that PC is still better by giving them a limited taste of what we have. You can't know that the grass is greener if you don't know what grass is or what it looks like....

This problem exploded for more than just money. If I was still only playing on console and I looked at what little was being offered on Bethesda.net compared to here I would have justified to myself downloading and transferring so I could use it on my console as long as I didn't receive money.

At the beggining on Nexus all the mods were bare bones. We didn't had anything amazing in quantities for months. There was no Script Extender, CK, updated Nifskope for meshes, even textures were hard to make due some changes. It took a lot of time for modders to get where we are now. People reuploading mods, just because they are not avaible to them right away are like little children with no patience at all, ignoring everything and everyone. There is no excuse for such behaviour.

I suggest that all modders state their position on weather or not they will allow their IP on Bethesda.net. That way if the console player believes or uses the rationalization that the mod author doesn't have the time but is okay with it they can be better informed. I am willing to bet that Nvidia giving cash rewards, trolls, and impatient console players are all of the possible causes for this. If you can think of any others I would be interested to know.

They don't have to do that. By default you have no rights to the mod, unless it's marked as modders resource in the tag or description. People are just too lazy to read terms of the site they use and are ignorant enough to disregard commonly known law. The rest of them are just thieves that get high on either on the power over console masses or the donations they get on bethesda.net, plus possibility to win rewards from Nvidia.

I believe that it is in our best interests to support console mod use for at least two reasons.

1. Share the wonderful world of modding with the world of console players and we will recruit more modders to our community thereby improving overall content.

They most likely won't become part of the community which creates mods, since CK is avaible only for those who own PC copy. Maybe next time around if they decide to buy decent pc before bethesda releases TES6.

2. Show console players that PC is still better by giving them a limited taste of what we have. You can't know that the grass is greener if you don't know what grass is or what it looks like....

This doesn't have anything to do with the problem. Getting PC won't change what kind of person a thief is. Frankly this is off topic.

I get that you want everyone to get along, but there has to be a common sense applied to everything. We cannot justify actions that are both illegal and harmful to the modding community in the long run. Honestly it would be best to postpone bethesda.net untill everything gets sorted out, before any permament damage is done (major modding authors and groups quitting on creating content).