Turning off godrays entirely

cossayos

Godrays are responsible for lowe FPS and stutter in certain regions and at dusk and dawn in my game. Turning them off gives me a massive boost and fluid game experience.

I disabled them in the ini by setting bNvGodraysEnable=0, turned them off in the console by typing gr off, yet the launcher doesn't keep my setting of them being off. Whenever I start the game, they are again set to low instead of off.

Now my question: Is the launcher sommething to ignore, once I edited the ini, or do they still come back, even if I disabled them everywhere else.

I watched a video once saying that you had to use the launcher to physically change the overall game quality to low, then reset all your other settings back to their higher settings.

Start at 1:17.

This will alter your .ini files so make sure you make backups just in case.

Edited by ma1025

Look up the console commands.

gr quality -1

gr off

If it's the aliasing you're trying to remove:

gr quality 4

You're welcome.

Only Godrays are the problem. When they are turned off, I got no issues at all. When they're on, even at low, I got massive problems at dusk and dawn transitions and battle effects. That's obviously more than my card can handle. Even though I have other settings, such as texture or lighting at high.

I did disable them in the console as well as the ini, as I said. It's only, they still crop up in the launcher, although the ini shows them as set to 0. That's what my question is about. If I can ignore what the launcher says, as long as they are disabled in the ini.

Edited by cossayos

I disabled them in the ini by setting bNvGodraysEnable=0, turned them off in the console by typing gr off, yet the launcher doesn't keep my setting of them being off. Whenever I start the game, they are again set to low instead of off.

Now my question: Is the launcher sommething to ignore, once I edited the ini, or do they still come back, even if I disabled them everywhere else.

Have you tried editing the Fallout4custom.ini instead of the Fallout4.ini? The custom ini will not reset itself like the regular ini. Now you could also make the Fallout4.ini read only but again no need to if you use the Custom.ini for all of your ini tweaks.

Have you tried editing the Fallout4custom.ini instead of the Fallout4.ini? The custom ini will not reset itself like the regular ini. Now you could also make the Fallout4.ini read only but again no need to if you use the Custom.ini for all of your ini tweaks.

Ah, thanks, I didn't know the same entries are there too.

Edit: I added the line to the custom.ini also, but the launcher still comes back with the low option instead of off. And I checked, the regular ini still has zero value for godrays.

So, I disabled them in the fallout4.ini, the custom.ini and the console, but the launcher doesn't register the changes. My gut feeling tells me, it's something to ignore, since I don't seem to have the framerate hits and stutters anymore. I just wanted to be sure.

Edited by cossayos

To turn god rays off completely:

- Go to \Documents\My Games\Fallout4

- Open Fallout4Prefs.ini

- Under the [General] heading look for bVolumetricLightingEnable=1

- Change the 1 to a 0

- Save

I'm combatting framerate woes right now, and I gave up on tinkering and began scouring the forums.. clearly it's a well known issue but I feel like in my case it might be something more.

Anyways, why I'm commenting is I'm curious what card you're running. I'm barely able to keep 20 fps in urban areas with an overclocked GTX 980 Ti... I know my texture mods aren't exactly framerate boosters, but with such a high end card I feel like god rays and shadow distance are not the only problem on my end.