A well-known issue: Vault doors not opening

Sprintfox

Hey fellas.

So, this pretty much is my first post related to modding, as I feel forced to start learning how papyrus and generally CK works. After about 500+ hours and 4 characters, I came across this gross bug once again. In this case, I'm talking about Vault 118, which, for some reason, makes you receive the quest "Brain Dead / DLC03_V118_Quest" from Pearl as a miscellaneous side-quest called "DLC_V118_MiscObjectives".

So far so good. You may say now, that this is a pre-quest working as introduction to the main side-quest, which usually casts the main side-quest once the misc-quest is completed.

Yet, I want to show you the different stages:

10: Meet Pearl outside of Far Harbor (DORMANT)

- As for me, I didn't meet Pearl outside of Far Harbor, but INSIDE of Far Harbor asking for help to Captain Avery.

15: Follow Pearl to the Cliff's Edge Hotel (COMPLETED)

- Works just fine and updates properly once you've followed her.

20: Meet Pearl outside of the Cliff's Edge Hotel (DORMANT)

- Works also just fine, if you decide to meet her there instead of following and do so. It's just an alternative decision.

30: Follow Pearl through the Cliff's Edge Hotel (COMPLETED)

- Works fine and updates once you follow her through the hotel until you come to the Vault Control Panel in order to get in touch with Maxwell.

40: Activate the Vault Door Controls (DISPLAYED)

- And here's where the problem initiates. So, mainly, just as for Vault 111, Vault 81, Vault 114, once activating the controls (which you might be able to see working, if the transparent cap above the button flips) it usually triggers the next action, which in case of Vault 111 and 114 is the opening animation and for Vault 81 and 118 it's a conversation through the panel, before triggering the opening-animation.

Yet, this is what I found pretty confusing:

100: Read the Request for Detective (DORMANT)

- As for now, usually the quest "Brain Dead" should be triggered. But it does not. It stays with DLC03_V118_MiscObjectives instead of switching the rails. And as for my logics, usually it should be doing so, which can be seen here: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Brain_Dead. Since the next stages are:

110: Investigate the Cliff's Edge Hotel (DORMANT)

200: Follow Maxwell to the scene of the Murder (DORMANT)

- ... unlike THIS is where it switches rails, which would declare the quest path given on the Fallout 4 Wikia to be not correct.

However.

The thing is mainly, that there are currently a bunch of posts stating they've a "fix" for this problematic.

A lot of them are about iFPSClamp being the main gamebreaker for Vault Doors. Might be true or not, that's not even questionable at the moment. iFPSClamp provides a way smoother gameplay, even though some might come up with alternative solutions.

So, what's this "fix" about?

1.) Delete iFPSClamp from your fallout4.ini

2.) Create an entirely new character.

For this is a "fix", people must be having a hard time, especially if you've been playing for more than 200 hours. I mean, it's not like the most folks in fallout just rush quests. At least I don't.

So: Is it a fix? NO. It's not. It's one of the worst workarounds actually, which might be only applicable if you're stuck in Vault 111. And even then, it's the choice between "Stuttering and working Vault Doors" or "No-Stuttering and not being able to even leave the first Vault".

So, let's get over to the next "fix".

1.) Use TCL, glitch through the door and you may or may not have to use DumpInputEnableLayers + ResetInputEnableLayers # in order to reactivate VATS. But even then, this doesn't work for Vault 81 and 118, since you've to trigger a conversation in order to make it happen. While for Vault 81 it's still possible to make it happen while using SetStage and having 3 Fusion Cores on you, it's definitely not makeable for Vault 118.

So, is this a fix? NO. It's also one crappy workaround.

And here's where my TL;DR comes:

Wouldn't it just make sense to replace the Vault Control Panels by any other activator? Even by one simple, stinky button-switch? I mean, you might be even able - in order to preserve immersion - to set up some decorative stuff looking like a speech box right besides the button.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but: Isn't the problem actually the Vault Control Panel which fails to forward the decision of triggering the next stage / animation and NOT the door itself?

Edited by Sprintfox

UPDATE

- - - - - - - - - - - -

So, apparently the only way to actually prevent Vault Door Controls / Vault Control Panels from freezing (and by that, not being able to trigger the next scene / action), is by removing the line iFPSClamp completely from fallout4.ini.

First of all: NO, you DO NOT have to make a new character and / or delete your old one. Only at Vault 111 you'll have to re-create it, since you're already spawning inside the cell.

What's the fix?

1.) Remove the iFPSClamp-Line from your fallout4.ini and save it in order to apply the changes

2.) After that, startup your game and load ANY save BEFORE entering the cell where you've to interact with Vault Door Controls / Vault Control Panels.

E.G.: Before entering Vault 81's cave. Before entering the subway station at Vault 114. Before taking the elevator to the cell where the Vault Door from Vault 118 is.

But, without iFPSClamp I keep having microstuttering issues!

In order to make sure that microstuttering doesn't keep happening, just set the game to launch as Windowed and Borderless. It actually doesn't even matter if you leave iPresentinterval on 1 or on 0 and by that, forcing vsync using Nvidia Control Panel / Inspector or the AMD software.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Edited by Sprintfox

• 6 months later...

This method not work in Vault 118 :sad: I loaded save before entering Hotel with deleted iFPSClamp, but button cover not open. Trying off VSync, also does not work

TCL method does not work, because Perl are stuck in "this character is busy", Maxwel not talk to me.

UPDATE:

I just skip 1-st part SetStage DLC03_V118_Quest 300 in console and Maxwell start talking to me. Before this i walked in Vault with TCL. Closed doors i open with UNLOCK in console

Edited by falkorr108

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I got this bug today and tracked down why it's failing. After lot of debugging and opening ck, checking quest stages etc it's because of this:

1. Quest DLC03DialogueV118 has alias named Receptionist. <- This quest is running, missing one alias

2. Quest DLC03_V118_Intro has same alias and that alias is linked alias to Receptionist from quest above. <- This quest fails to even start

3. When you meet Pearl, who is hiring you to investigate murder, after you agree to work with her, quest DLC03_V118_PearlHiring sets stage 6 in quest DLC03_V118_Intro which takes care of opening the door.

And now why it all fails:

4. For some reason DLC03DialogueV118 alias named Receptionist fails to fill, that means DLC03_V188_Intro FAILS to start because the alias is not optional, and is also missing in the DialogueV118 quest, so no dialogue from him either.

5. Now we have broken mess that can't be fixed because the Receptionist, who should be actor named DLC03_Vault118_Receptionist, refuses to go to alias in two quests. I checked with tcl, and the actor is there and even has Hello dialogue, but does not fill to aliases when quest starts.

6. I can't find any reason why it doesn't work. It's set up just like every other alias on those quests and those work.

7. The first quest is Start game enabled and fails to fill the alias. That means the moment you start new game, it's already broken if it fails. No idea why it does this. It doesn't help it's linked in several quests either, so it brokes them all.

It can be propably fixed manually stopping and then starting DLC03DialogueV118 and checking with console if alias is filled. Then, manually setstages in DLC03_V118_Intro before going to the Vault door. To do that requires editing the quests, because they can't be normally started again because they are "Run once".

I tried to find anything in fo4edit that touches those quests, and only Unofficial Fallout 4 patch touches DLC03DialogueV118.. not sure if it's vanilla bug or not.

Edit: I fixed my quest by doing mod to fix it. Forceref receptionist ref to the alias in the first quest and then starting the second quest and setting stage to 6.. which it should be before you go to hotel.

Edited by vkz89q

Hello, i tried I think everything i could and still cannot get quest to start... -_- Could you please upload your mod somewhere?

Hello. Problem with my fix is that it's very specific. I mean, unless you have exactly the same bug I had, it might break something instead of fixing.

If you do this in the console "help DLC03DialogueV118 4" and then "sqv questid(number of the quest)", does it say Receptionist -> None?

Edited by vkz89q

If you do this in the console "help DLC03DialogueV118 4" and then "sqv questid(number of the quest)", does it say Receptionist -> None?

It did for me, "Receptionist -> NONE". No dialogue after trying to open the door. After some digging, I found some nifty commands. Before opening the vault, run in console:

1. ClearQuestAliases questID
  2. SetQuestAliases questID
  3. Save and exit
  4. StartQuest questID

The vault should open when you hit the button. Carry on, detective.

I'm one of the people for whom iFPSClamp=60 is the only...only solution to the stuttering I see when sprinting. Every few months since release I dust off this game and try to fix it but nothing at all works...apart from clamping at 60.

If someone would come along and mod a fix for the vault door/terminal issue I think I might be the happiest little vault dweller in existence. I think I'm going to be left hanging until a Skyranger-1 type hero comes along and does some script extender wizardry though :confused: