Nexus Mod support request for console

Syntensity

I mad a bunch of edits to the thing I said earlier, which I forget what I said was, there was a lot of edits
one significant thing was that the bethesda.net thing would still have free mods, that the group responsible for assembling larger scale DLC packages would be contacting mod authors to ask if they wanted to monetize the thing, as a sort of "task force" and on top of going for paid modding schemes for consoles, they would also hunt and trawl through smaller mods that generally improve the quality of life in some small way so that it's possible to do small edits easily too

it would kind of require phasing out/totally removing "anything goes" introduction to modding, and require some curation and effort on bethesda's part but I'd presume a community representative (not community manager) would be a good way to get people less peeved at bethesda as well

so far I think this would kill about 4 birds with 1 stone
it would require a tough explanation but heh, and I'm aware that this is something that could anger people, but AFAIK I think the modding community could step in on that one and tell people that no, that's not what's going on, what's going on is that the previous system was tremendously disrespectful and so on
but it'd need the support of the anti-paid mods community too for this to work, which is tricky, the idea is something I came up with and I'm anti-paid mods per se, because I want to protect the artistic integrity of the community or whatever, but some people really do want to make money

what this does is preserve modding for moddings' sake in the PC community while utilizing it for the console communitys' benefit
it also cash cows the console community, which is to bethesda's interest, but in return for this - unlike with the paid mods fiasco for skyrim etc for PC users... this actually does help increase quality for mods on consoles, or at least ease of access to quality mods - because beth isn't destroying the manner by which they are created (the modding community of the hobbyist variety)
by getting people to shut down in a conniption fit due to thefts (if someone wants to get lost because they want money eh that's fine but if it's over them not having any control over their work I'm less inclined to support whatever's making them leave - it's not like they're charging for something, it's not greed driving them to be that way)

if someone's going to make a mod that they want monetized for console, they'll have to do it for free for the nexus community first, get popular, and then that'll prove their validity basically

Edited by tartarsauce2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of interest, an honest question, what makes you think they weren't already planning to do so long before all this happened? I know for a fact many of them were, and quite some still are, but also a lot were lost due to what happened, others are currently reconsidering, and yet again others are just waiting for things to become civilized and legal again, then they will.

The more the theft issues are rising and sticking around, the more people over there question why it even is a problem or justify what has been done, with the most hilarious and braindead of justifications I have seen so far, well, the more ultimately just won't. But it still doesn't change the fact how large a number initially actually was definitely going to, or aiming to.

In an ideal world an open invite such as this wouldn't have been necessary. By my own observations you would have received an enormous multitude of the best of the best mods already by these authors' own decision, if just the people over there would've let them the time they needed to get it done, and properly so, unlike what the thieves did. I'm still convinced it isn't even necessary as of now, as these authors are still already on your side ultimately.

But of course it helps a lot in easing the uneasiness that's currently perceived to politely invite them and show them how much support there actually is for them over there, instead of letting them just witness the thieves and their more than vocal supporters day in day out over there with perceivably no one speaking up against it and in their defense.

It's those constant nonsense posts speaking of some mysterious war between one side and the other, that those authors would've never thought about converting their mods for use on console as well and how evil it was of them, and how justified thus the theft of their works, when in fact as far as this community was concerned there never was one worth mentioning at all to begin with, and those hot air bubble posters who have not the least clue about the sheer numbers that I'm seeing who were already going to do what you're now asking of them anyways, which are doing a disservice to you and your cause. Help making them stop, or speak up against them like you do, and you will convince those unconvinced that it's safe to go over there.

You already had them on your side before you even knew it, and in numbers which quite frankly exceed your wildest dreams. Then the thefts came in and the picture changed.

Oh, but please, this isn't even a Nexus vs. Bethesda.net thing or about Nexus authors either like you put it. These are just mod authors who released their mods on the Nexus, but maybe also on other hosts, or maybe not. I for example am hosting my mods on multiple places, or at least I were, before these were all going down or something, I don't know. Yet I'm moderating only here. Yes, this is likely about "the" place to find PC game mods and their authors on, but it's by far not the only one. And I hope you don't belief even for a second the thieves would stop only here, when there's multiple different similar places out there as well, where they can get the mods just as easily as from here. This is a global problem, not just a Nexus thing.

tl;dr - I heartily welcome what you're attempting to do here. Keep supporting the authors and they will soon be your's as well. Make sure what they see from you will overshadow all that they see from the bad guys and regularly so. This will help massively in making them decide in your favor. If they feel welcome and safe, protected and among friends, they will come. It has always been that way. That's why they're here, 'cause here they do.

P.S.: Ignore the ramblings from an old veteran author here. It's just refreshing for a change to finally see some other words on this and people trying to band together against all odds to turn the tables to everyone's benefit.

I read the title as nexus mod manager support for consoles. Still an idea.

Pretty sure that has already been axed by Dark0ne. I believe that he wishes the Nexus to be PC only, primarily to avoid conflict that is currently exploding on Beth.net, but secondarily it means he would have to make "a deal with the Devil", as it were, to even try and implement that kind of support over here. Not speaking for him, mind you, just regurgitating something I read awhile back.

@DrakeTheDragon, Thank you for your insight on the situation. I had NO idea so many modders planned to bring their content over in the first place. And youre right. In an ideal world, this open letter wouldnt have had to be sent out, apologizing for the mistakes of others. I didnt even think steal was going to be a thing but, lo and behold i was dead wrong.

We didnt want this to a be a "PLEASE GIVE UP MODS" situation. But as you said a Supporting the Authors and trying to calm the storm by the mistakes of a handful of impatient idiots who thought stealing mods was the correct answer.

And NO! I will not ignore your ramblings lol. All opinions and inputs are welcome. THATS why we did this. We want to know what YOURE inputs and opinions and comments are. We want Mod Authors to feel welcome and appreciated and felt the gratitude they deserve.

Just know we would love to have all Mod Authors on our side again. Hopefully this forum can show that they are welcome and for a majority WE want you to feel safe..

@tartarsauce2 i think it would be a great start. They could package them into a singular mod, that they KNOW works, that they have tested and put into a CORRECT load order instead of letting randoms download anything at will without researching anything and breaking their game.

Just out of interest, an honest question, what makes you think they weren't already planning to do so long before all this happened? I know for a fact many of them were, and quite some still are, but also a lot were lost due to what happened, others are currently reconsidering, and yet again others are just waiting for things to become civilized and legal again, then they will.

The more the theft issues are rising and sticking around, the more people over there question why it even is a problem or justify what has been done, with the most hilarious and braindead of justifications I have seen so far, well, the more ultimately just won't. But it still doesn't change the fact how large a number initially actually was definitely going to, or aiming to.

In an ideal world an open invite such as this wouldn't have been necessary. By my own observations you would have received an enormous multitude of the best of the best mods already by these authors' own decision, if just the people over there would've let them the time they needed to get it done, and properly so, unlike what the thieves did. I'm still convinced it isn't even necessary as of now, as these authors are still already on your side ultimately.

But of course it helps a lot in easing the uneasiness that's currently perceived to politely invite them and show them how much support there actually is for them over there, instead of letting them just witness the thieves and their more than vocal supporters day in day out over there with perceivably no one speaking up against it and in their defense.

It's those constant nonsense posts speaking of some mysterious war between one side and the other, that those authors would've never thought about converting their mods for use on console as well and how evil it was of them, and how justified thus the theft of their works, when in fact as far as this community was concerned there never was one worth mentioning at all to begin with, and those hot air bubble posters who have not the least clue about the sheer numbers that I'm seeing who were already going to do what you're now asking of them anyways, which are doing a disservice to you and your cause. Help making them stop, or speak up against them like you do, and you will convince those unconvinced that it's safe to go over there.

You already had them on your side before you even knew it, and in numbers which quite frankly exceed your wildest dreams. Then the thefts came in and the picture changed.

Oh, but please, this isn't even a Nexus vs. Bethesda.net thing or about Nexus authors either like you put it. These are just mod authors who released their mods on the Nexus, but maybe also on other hosts, or maybe not. I for example am hosting my mods on multiple places, or at least I were, before these were all going down or something, I don't know. Yet I'm moderating only here. Yes, this is likely about "the" place to find PC game mods and their authors on, but it's by far not the only one. And I hope you don't belief even for a second the thieves would stop only here, when there's multiple different similar places out there as well, where they can get the mods just as easily as from here. This is a global problem, not just a Nexus thing.

tl;dr - I heartily welcome what you're attempting to do here. Keep supporting the authors and they will soon be your's as well. Make sure what they see from you will overshadow all that they see from the bad guys and regularly so. This will help massively in making them decide in your favor. If they feel welcome and safe, protected and among friends, they will come. It has always been that way. That's why they're here, 'cause here they do.

P.S.: Ignore the ramblings from an old veteran author here. It's just refreshing for a change to finally see some other words on this and people trying to band together against all odds to turn the tables to everyone's benefit.

Thank you for being so open minded about it and informing us about the current situation. I guess people just make it seem that there's something going on between these two platforms, but it's not as you said it's global. This community is probably the biggest though if not the biggest, that's why we're here trying to band and try to understand what's going on, which you have just explained very clearly. :smile:

@tartarsauce2 you bring some good idea's to the table, although paid mods are quite questionable I think it would ruin the whole point of modding, as it is more of a hobby. When you turn it into a profession, mods are no langer to be called but just expansions / dlc, which isn't a bad thing but they would be less accessible though. You make some good points though and I appreciate that ^^

Edited by Syntensity

Dark0ne you've got a point but I think the other places don't matter as much in regards to theft (in a functional way, the fact it's still going on at all is of course appreciably irritating) because they're so small, bethesda.net's a critical capacity place and the problem is that enclosed pastures are something corporations LOVE to do, copyright law struggles, look at java suing google for freaking... just...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_America,_Inc._v._Google,_Inc.
AHHHHHHH WHY?

it's not even that they're losing it's that they even try, because if bethesda did it here it'd win eventually... to its own detriment I'd think, unless it became a cancerous body that only partially reneged later, like other companies have in the past (point is it'd still get to that point)

I think some mysterious war between nexus and bethesda is in fact occurring but it's not a total war, it's more of a skirmish 100 years war kind of war
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Years%27_War
war might not change but it IS very diverse in how it works, for instance whatever south and north korea have going on is a war, one long giant never-ending war, apparently, officially :tongue:
anyways, there's antagonisms, I'm interested in seeing if there is in fact a truly different "console crowd" or if they just are totally brand new to this sort of thing
however, even if that's the case, it can still cause issues that need to be resolved, germany aside currently, there was a german game I used to play, multiplayer only, it had private servers as an issue I guess, but the game itself had a community and that kept the official game servers safe, and all sorts of stuff, thing is a bunch of brazillians came along, and the european and north american playerbase got swamped

rules started being made with all of the prescience of angela merkel
the culture clash was not friendly, I think there started some server racewars over it all (using the new anti-pk system to pull this off no less), I think the mexicans and br's still fight like this - but herein lies the trick, it's calmed down since, but the changes because of it have seemingly irrevocably killed the game that I loved, it's now existent as a festering zombie of its former self - right now in fact just of curiousity I looked onto their site and found that they're JUST adding in things I suggested 5-10 years ago

the game changed, became more stringent, some of the systems in place prior to this were socially oriented, volunteer GM's (I knew like 4 of these from back when they were rarer) etc, then an anti-pk system was put in place that ruined a lot of bad but fun in the long run experiences etc and it killed the community's ability to deal with botting (we did it by killing them and then luring onto them until that was also "fixed" so then we were flooded by cheaters because the anti-cheat system sucked and they got away with it all the time) the userbase changed, and the game generified and died
it's userbase has crashed since it was in its heyday, also I think I had a hit placed on me that the mercenarys fulfilled, can't remember though for sure or not... anyways, it was a fun little world to play in until the mass influx of new people with ghetto values (brazil is a poor country, my first instinct wasn't a cultural thing but to think that they come from a poor place - didn't really know a lot about brazil but the behaviour is familiar to me so I'm not judging I've been poor before too and ghetto is as ghetto does)

anyways, the point of this story is to outline that problems can still occur and care should be given to what goes on regardless, I had a few br friends, I got treated the way brs were viewed, by the swe's no less, as a north american lol - so I get the issue and I do reject essentialism, but where one IS currently does have an impact now, not where one could be, that's all I'm getting at, if that care just amounts to keeping up the discussion then that's great! but is it?

just ignore the bit about making people pay :p
but honestly I've leapt from place to place in search of a nice safe location for the comfortably artistic and I guess I'm bad at finding it because I relied in fallout 4 to really really find this place as someone interested in it and I'm already seeing the problems I fled coming along right after me

Edited by tartarsauce2

Well, I'm not the boss, and I haven't seen him post inside here, so I think you got the usernames mixed up. I'm just a volunteer moderator speaking my own mind as what I still primarily am, a mod author.

And I wasn't talking of a war between Bethesda and Nexus, while I'm pretty convinced there isn't one either, but the war between PC and console, which, as far as the Nexus goes, isn't here either.

I only wanted to get rid of terms like "Nexus authors", while in reality many, if not most, authors also frequent other places for their mod hosting as well, and people started making this out to be solely a Nexus issue, which is bad enough that the supporters of the thievery bring this up again and again, in order to belittle the number of authors concerned and speaking up against it, limiting it to only the ones on Nexus, while it most definitely is not, it's global, like I said. Thieves against authors, "all" authors, everywhere, not just a small niche group of PC Elitists here on Nexus.

I've read your "idea" at multiple places now, but there's a few things you should keep in mind in regards to it being a solution to anything.

a) First get in contact with Bethesda about all of this before you start talking about monetization of mods, because that's not exactly a thing anybody on here could allow without them doing so first. And

b) You better cut down a little on this Mod Pack topic, seriously, as it's pretty much a trigger word to many an author here by now, and all talk about mod packs I've witnessed so far has always gone down the drain in an instant.

It is really not a concept most, if not all, authors are in agreement with. As a User you might see a huge benefit in having all the mods you like in one package to download and install and "just work" out of magic without any interaction or involvement on your part. But the reality behind it all, that what you think is heaven will only be hell, also to you, which apparently only the authors can see, and the multitude of other problems arising out of the mere concept alone, always seem to go mostly unnoticed, or better yet, simply ignored, but carelessly so. When these people say a mod pack is bad, not only to them but also to you, fundamentally, you better believe them, for they have the knowledge a user is lacking and definitely know what they're warning about.

An idea it might be, but whether a good one, especially within this community, is really debatable.

But talk to those people about it, hear their side of the story, maybe you'll understand why they're so adamantly against it and for what good reasons. And maybe the both of you can even come up with something better as the result. Who knows?

I for one, am staying as open minded as I can be about all of this. No, I dont not know all the ends and outs of modding. And segregating Modders by "Nexus" and "CK" modders is also a wrong way to go about things. You are correct.

Im always going to listen to any advice that a veteran of anything can give me. Especially if it is dangerous, even to a game.

I wasnt trying to step on any toes or ruffle feathers or bring any form of disrespect at all. When in fact I have nothing but Respect for anyone creating Original Content for the masses to enjoy.

Thank you for being enlightening on such matters

There is no civil solution to this. The lines have been drawn, first by the thieves I might add, and now both side have dug there heels in beyond the point of no return.

This won't be resolved until one side loses, and when one side loses both sides will lose something. You simply can't win.

I wanted to give my mod to everybody, I even wanted to make an exclusive Xbox and PlayStation armor retexture as part of my mod that only the consoles would get to show that I support console gaming. But now... now I don't want to give it to anyone, not the Nexus, not consoles, not Bethesda...

Im sorry you feel that way TeamBacon. But know your reasons are justified and respected. No one holds it against you.

You have every right to feel the way you do. Again im sorry for those who wont say sorry.