You know.... I think the theft might be partially not understanding the options menu

marcmorr6

I am trying to create my own version of a mod that I really love, and to see if the concept could even work I uploaded the original file and set it as testing only (which I think a few people are doing) and as I was working on it I realized something... there is a set to private option on mods you upload onto Bethesda. That means that you can upload mods that you love from other places and use them privately without taking credit, giving false hope, or anything else.

Would any of you actually be more ok with people uploading your mods so long as they are set to private use only, which means no one else can see or search them that is not attached to your personal account? Would that alleviate any of the anger? After all... personal use is what you created them for to begin with right?

*after verifying the mod I am trying to emulate would indeed work, I deleted it from even my private tab and am now working in the CK to create my own from scratch.*

If we cant see the file you upload why would it matter what we think? Out of sight out of mind. Go for it as long as its set to private.

If we cant see the file you upload why would it matter what we think? Out of sight out of mind. Go for it as long as its set to private.

It would matter to me. If this is a good solution, then I think a lot of the issues of people re uploading for private use could be solved with better communication. If I wanted to be a thief I would not be banging my head on my desk trying to figure out how to add new items to the workshop build menu. Doing the right thing, the right way should always matter.

Edited by marcmorr6

From a strictly technical point of view the database administrators at Bethesda.net would probably cringe hard at this idea because you then encourage thousands or tens of thousand of people to upload the exact same mod over and over, potentially filling your database with repeats of the same file (depending on how good/bad they are at database management). From a technical point of view it's far better to have one copy of the file that everyone can access rather than ten thousand copies of the same file that are each accessible by only one person. But this is just a technical nit pick, not a criticism of the philosophy of the idea. :)

there is a set to private option on mods you upload onto Bethesda. That means that you can upload mods that you love from other places and use them privately without taking credit, giving false hope, or anything else.

If you have checked very carefully that the mod you are using doesn't specify that it is not to be uploaded anywhere else, then there is no problem. But there is a problem with assuming it is fine to take it, and put it on Bethesda.net, simply for private use. My own mod/s have this

Credits and distribution permission Author notes

This mod is exclusively my own work, with the exception of many assets and scripts that were used with the express consent and permission from their respective authors.

I do not allow this mod to be uploaded anywhere else under any circumstances unless otherwise specified.

You must get the permission of the contributing authors in order to use their assets. I cannot permit the use of any asset from this mod as I am not the original creator.

If people don't read the permissions tab info, and assume all is going to be dandy if they just take it, upload it, and use it privately on that website, what's the difference? It still constitutes going against that author's request. It's on that website, being used for something it wasn't intended for.

That's my opinion anyway.

Holy crap!

Interestingly enough, this is phenomenal for people who don't want their mods to be on XBox, but it requires they upload them FOR XBox. Bear with me, here.

For some reason, you don't want your mod appearing on XBox. So what you do is you upload it for XBox, but set it to private. Crucially, if you have any external files, do not provide the source for these. Keep all model files, photoshop sources, uncompiled Papyrus source code, and any other file that you used to create your game resources out of the upload.

Now, when someone uploads a version of your mod without your consent, you have an example to point to and say "See? This is the same file! I have the source for the mod right here, and they don't! That's my mod! Take that down, now!"

And you will have the standing to be able to do so.

Holy crap!

Interestingly enough, this is phenomenal for people who don't want their mods to be on XBox, but it requires they upload them FOR XBox. Bear with me, here.

For some reason, you don't want your mod appearing on XBox. So what you do is you upload it for XBox, but set it to private. Crucially, if you have any external files, do not provide the source for these. Keep all model files, photoshop sources, uncompiled Papyrus source code, and any other file that you used to create your game resources out of the upload.

Now, when someone uploads a version of your mod without your consent, you have an example to point to and say "See? This is the same file! I have the source for the mod right here, and they don't! That's my mod! Take that down, now!"

And you will have the standing to be able to do so.

So this idea could possibly help both those seeking privacy for their mods and for those who don't mind sharing for public use.

So this idea could possibly help both those seeking privacy for their mods and for those who don't mind sharing for public use.

Exactly! This is a very good solution. It might be less satisfying than using a failed F4SE check to insult the user and destroy their game for some people, but it is far more effective in the long run, and way less shady.

It wouldn't work as well for people who aren't making mods that actually add any new resources, but the actual true ownership of such mods is a bit murky anyways. They require no external tools, and operate entirely on material that is certainly owned by Zenimax in its entirety.

The stuff you make is the stuff you can own. Modifications of works owned by others is only covered under Fair Use.

Edited by Jeoshua

This is silly...

If you have a PC to upload the mod, then just go play the mod on that very same PC.

People like me who support console players will upload our stuff as soon as it is ready. The people who have a chip on their shoulder and don't want console players to have stuff should not be forced to give you stuff just because you want it.