[ck] Offsetting iMaxPlayerRunes

Elias555

I'm trying to offset my rune spells and only my runes to not count towards the limit.

I've tried attaching the script to the MGEF but the MGEF on runes only seems to go off after the rune has already exploded even when using OnInIt(). I'll add the checks later to prevent my count abuse but here's the basic idea I've tried:

Event OnInIt()

Int Num = 1 ;iMaxPlayerRunes+1 ;not working
Game.SetGameSettingInt("iMaxPlayerRunes", Num)
Debug.Notification("iMaxPlayerRunes = " + Game.GetGameSettingInt("iMaxPlayerRunes"))

EndEvent

Not sure what else to try.

Yeah, the rune mgef is the actual fire/frost/shock damage with the added curveball that it cannot detect the target (because it does not recognize the target as the NPC that got hit, but the ground because it is a "target location" effect, it's kinda weird that way).

But the rune count is a game setting to begin with, and once changed it will affect any and all runes, not just the players.

That being said: Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the player literally the only one who ever uses runes in the first place? So, where is the problem?

There is no point in putting the setting modifying script on the magic effect (see above) so either make a quest for it, edit the setting directly, or use a mod like SkyTweak: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33395/?

Never mind read that wrong. You meant "my runes" as in some custom ones.

What you want to do is use a perk entry:

Modify Max Placeable Mines Affects the amount of Runes that can be placed. Some Functions appear not to work as expected, (such as Set Value), however Multiply Value seems to work as desired. Changing multiply value to 2, allows two runes to be placed.

You would have to have a quest running that detects when your rune spell is equipped and add/remove a custom perk accordingly. Still wouldn't be perfect though.

Edited by BigBizkit

Instead of a quest, maybe the equip ability (bottom of magic effect) works fine for adding the perk. At least it work flawlessly for adding abilities while a weapon is equipped when added to any of the magic effects of the weapon's enchantment. That's why I handled all passive effects of weapons in my latests mods. Chances are it works for equipped spells too, but I haven't tested it.

Hm, not sure how the equip abilities work in the first place. But I don't quite understand what you are saying with:

At least it work flawlessly for adding abilities while a weapon is equipped when added to any of the magic effects of the weapon's enchantment.

You mean you added the perk adding script to effects of abilities, which you would then add as equip abilities to effects, which were on the weapons enchantment? Why not just add a simple script to the weapon in the first place?

ps: the link to your mods in your sig is broken, frank.

If "Equip Abilities" are literally abilities that are added when a spell with an effect that has them are equipped, yes, you could use those to add the perk changing the rune limit. However, that still leaves a loophole:

When you e.g. equip one of your custom rune spells on one hand -> perk is being added -> rune limit set to being unlimited

...but another rune in the other hand -> you can now place unlimited fire runes etc.

I am not sure if you can use conditions for that particular perk entry (cant look it up right now) to remedy this.

"you added the perk adding script to effects of abilities, which you would then add as equip abilities to effects, which were on the weapons enchantment? "

That sounds dumb, but yes, that exactly.

The reason why i looked for an alternative to a onequip/onequip => add/remove spell script is that i found those events not fire on certain conditions, hotkeys and stuff, all in all, they are not reliable and i found equip abilities.

Also has the potential of being disenchantable and applied in a working manner to other weapons since everything is on the enchantment, though since i'm doing artifacts i don't use this.

And it's like tidier, if it's an effect of the weapon it should be in it's enchantment, right?

Imo there should have been a passive effect tab for weapons in skyrim...

Anyway long as it sounds it doesn't really add much to the process in comparison to a script, if you for example need to add a passive buff and a perk to a weapon you'd have to make the ability and the perk, link perk in ability's magic effect or ability in perk entry and add one of the two as the property of the script.

My way is the same except instead of filling the property you add it to the drop down menu of any of the weapon's offensive magic effects.

Oh and it's not a link, the stuff is in the tiny spoiler, should probably remove the underline, looks a link.

That loophole seems problematic, maybe there's a way to reproduce rune functionality without being an actual rune spell, placing triggers or something, so that it wouldn't count to the limit?... Not sure

Edited by FrankFamily

I tried the ability method and it didn't work, not that it would matter due to the exploit. I could of course just make the limit higher, that would be easiest but I don't know where those values are changed. I was hoping not to have to create a new system but I can't think of another way.

For a new system, I want to use a script for placing and give the player the option to select 1 of 3 runes. I'm thinking PlaceAtMe and then setting it to the ground before it arms itself. How do I force the object to the ground once placed?

If you have a better idea let me know.

I had a go but I don't think this is the smartest way. In the MGEF, FF, self:

Scriptname AceRunePlacingScript extends ActiveMagicEffect 

Actor Property PlayerRef Auto
Message Property AceOptionsMessage Auto
Activator Property Rune1 Auto
Activator Property Rune2 Auto
Weapon  Property Rune3 Auto ;testing if I can place it

Event OnEffectStart(Actor akTarget, Actor akCaster)

Int Chosen = AceOptionsMessage.Show()

If Chosen == 0 
		PlayerRef.PlaceAtMe(Rune1)
	ElseIf Chosen == 1
		PlayerRef.PlaceAtMe(Rune2)
	ElseIf Chosen == 2
		PlayerRef.PlaceAtMe(Rune3)
	ElseIf Chosen == 3
		Debug.Notification("Cancel")
	EndIf

EndEvent

Problems: Orientation. Can't place on walls. Not self cleaning.

Edit:Changed it slightly. It's now a FF, Aimed and the explosion places the activator with the code above then the menu comes up and I can control what to do from there. This means I can place the 'runes' on walls.

Edited by Elias555