Heavy Traffic ×

Mechanist Lair problem

BillHoff

sorry to bring this thread back up, but I cant even get inside. ive played this thing millions of times multiple times before, and this is (probably the second) time this has happened to me. (i think I fixed it somehow the first time, but this time I cant even teleport inside.) I get to the location, hit the front door, and then loads with the black screen, after awhile, it just CTD. Ive read online it may be to due to UI mods, but I only run, clothing, settlement, and weapon mods, and some retextures, which dont even use .esp files. I have no idea how to darn make this work, or fix it. and I'm afraid of disabling all the mods since I have a bunch that require me to use an integrated uninstaller chem/holotape to avoid complications down the road. :/

• 4 weeks later...

I am also having this problem.

I wanted to replay the game so I installed a bunch of mods for a new playthough... ones I didn't have the first time I played. Having trouble with Ada not doing anything when I have her check the doors.

I did have multiple compainions so I went and dismissed all of them, then got Ada again and still having the problem.

Not just that, but I am having these weird ghosting issues where sometimes the walls and such dissapear and have that infinate mirror effect depending on where I look. It's made it very hard to do this quest.

I'm using the SetStage as I need to, using tcl to get past doors, but I think I just ran into a problem where one room seems to be set to only activate if the door to it is opened... so I am just trying to figure out a way to make this work.

I don't know what mod I would have added that would interfear with this DLC, but something seems wrong with the textures or something like that.

Heh... ok... well the moment I went back into my game (I just alt tab'ed to look this problem up) the room activated. Even though I had been walking all over it, all of a sudden The Mechinist opened the giant door and started talking to me.

Still... bummed out that I had to cheat my way though this level insted of do it normally... because it's super creepy and really well made. The story gets you really weirded out as you read more and more about what has been going on in the building.

• 1 month later...

This is my third playthrough and this time I can't get into the Mechanist's Lair. I have the mod that allows multiple companions and Ada is one of them, but she keeps wandering off. I can use the Summon Ada item on my Pipboy, but she just wanders off again. If I press look at her and press e, then look at the door and press e, I try to open it, there is no option for Ada to try. None of my other compaions can open it. I tried dismissing Ada but that doesn't work, nor does Recycleactor.

• 4 months later...

I am running unlimited companion mod and nearly every female companion available. The first playthrough Vex had the blue grid come out of her belly button piercing but only after i hit the Windows key and then came back to the game.

The sequence went as follows:

1. gathered all companions near the first door ( I use a batch file to put them all in Sun Pose 13, console command playidle sun13, to keep them from running around)

2. I command Ada to inspect the "strange device"

3. Go back to windows

4. Go back to the game

5. Hit TAB key

6. Laser grid shoots from Vex's belly button (apparently she is wearing a secret decoder belly button piercing)

Once I saw this I took Vex out of Sun13 and asked Ada to inspect the device. Vex ran over and used the grid to open the door.

Subsequent doors were opened by having Ada and Vex near the door

1. Ada inspects the door

2. Switch to Windows

3. Switch back to the game

2. Vex runs over automatically and uses the grid.

3. Door opens

And the Mechanist final battle does not trigger so now I'm trying to work around that glitch, sheesh...

Hope this helps anyone struggling with this glitch.

Obviously you don't necessarily use Vex the initial gathering at the door should show you which companion has the magic decoder belly button.

Edited by OCRSpartan

As long as your "primary" companion plus Ada are near the door, your "primary" companion will have the magic belly piercing.

Generally your "first" companion is flagged as "primary" but there are several times during quests where the game will ask you to "swap" companions. Obviously with a multiple companion mod, you don't need to, but it WILL affect who the game thinks is the "primary". Also I believe that Curie will automatically become your primary, regardless of what choice you make, or how many followers you have.

Simplest way to check, is go to any settlement and enter workshop mode, and see which companion gets relegated to forlornly standing next to the workbench. That companion is your current primary.

*Note: Heather Casdin (modded follower) is scripted to also stand near the workbench when you're in workshop mode, And she may also be scripted NOT to be counted as "primary" ever.

As for the conversation not starting with The Mechanist, she can sometimes get stuck at the back of the control room, and her dialogue requires you to be in viewing distance of her and in conversation distance. You may need to use TCL, to get close enough to her for the quest dialogue to start, or make sure to run as fast as you can towards her balcony so that she doesn't run to the back of the room before you get there.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This seemed like the place at least close to the subject.... I got thru the first door, but when we approach the second, it says 'robot approaching' and 'opening security door', and the lights turn green, but the door never opens.... and we sit there looking dumb... and nothing ever happens... and I can't even ask ADA about the door....

The fact that the first door opens and the second door triggers and says it is opening tells me that I have my ducks in the proverbial row.... I'm going to try the 'tcl' thing mentioned previously in this thread... perhaps.