Possible Issues With a Sanctuary Mod

SilverAbbott

Hello,

I'd like to note I am on Xbox, sorry if this is not the correct place for console users to post about mod issues they are experiencing.

I say simply "a Sanctuary mod" because I am unsure of the exact title of the mod I am using. It was designed to not only clean up debris, but restore the broken down houses and a few other things. Basically make a very nice, clean sanctuary. The esp file is called "Sanctuary Base.esp". This mod is also the one that gives you a garage with several power armor stations, I'm sure some here know the one to which I refer. Because a search for "Sanctuary" or "Base" does not bring up any files with the description I remember reading, I have no way to tell you the name of the mod or its author, but it was definitely a "cleaning up Sanctuary" type mod.

Recently, the Wasteland is taking back Sanctuary though. Some of the debris and growth has returned (an old car frame for one thing, which I can remove in Workshop mode if necessary.) I think I may be experiencing some issues because one of the restored houses is now inside the frame of its earlier, un-restored self, with the main door behind a wall--a house within a house essentially.

I am unsure if, since a search turned up nothing, the mod itself is just gone (but it is still partially working, some of the stuff is still there.) or what. That's sort of why I say the Wasteland is taking it back--which is almost cool, if intentional.

I am currently running a few other cosmetic mods that I can list if that helps, but this is the only Sanctuary specific mod, and I don't think other things are conflicting with it. I'm afraid to disable and reenable it (after a load) because I don't want to possibly mess something up.

Any possible answers as to why it's still partially working would be great.I understand this is tough work and if it is going through some update that's totally cool, I just wasn't able to find such information about it.

Even though I can no longer locate this mod, the file still appears in my load order and if disabled, loading prompts me with "this save relies on content no longer available."

I hope i've given enough info to go on, and thanks for your time.

If this mod is gone and someone can recommend a replacement cleaner sanctuary, that would be great. To the author of the mod, whatever the case is, it was really well done and thank you.

Hello

Exactly the same issue here - Running the mod on Xbox One, then came to run Fallout 4 this morning and it required a 529mb game update which i installed, i think this included more addons for the game.

I then ran the game and found that near the bridge of Sanctuary the road had grass bushes on which shouldn't be there and the house on the right hand side was not new anymore and was partially new and old if that makes sense.

I also cannot find the mod on Bethesda's site anymore (Sancuary Base.esp) so what i tried rather than lose all of the work i had done building a Settlement around this mod was i tried changing the order of the mod i still have on the Xbox One and moved it to the top of my mod list then re-started the game and now i am back to how the mod should look (for now).

I can imagine it's going to get quite frustrating if either the Author or Bethesda start removing mods without any explanation as i have spent about 2 full days working on a settlement based on this mod and if i lose that mod then all that work is a total waste of time as i can't re-download it - It would be nice to at least leave a link to where the mod should be with an explanation of removal.

Anyway, try changing your mod order but don't delete it otherwise you are in trouble so to speak, hopefully that will work like it did for me.

Cheers

Thanks friends for the replies so far,

Funnily enough halluncinogenix, I have not had an update for several days and was running the game as I was reading this. In the middle of my game, it went to the home screen and told me about this same 529mb update just now. I didn't think it would do that in the middle of a game (since I usually get these when trying to start the game when connected to Live). This was weird.

Thank you for the suggestion regarding load order, I will try once the update is complete.

Two small side notes for anyone interested:

I'm running a mod titled invm.esp which I think may also not be working but I have no way to check, and can't remember the title associated with such an oddly named file, alas.

I am also running the Snap n' Build mod, but my problems with Sanctuary preceded installing this mod. HOwever, no matter how many times I change load order for it (I like the unofficial Fallout 4 patch to be at the top) Snap n Build always returns to the top. Not sure why or if this is causing issues but I thought I would mention it.

So, even when you download a mod, it and all the stuff you did with it can go away if it is removed from the official site? That;s going to be problematic...

Unfortunately so. We've been dealing with this on the PC side for months now. Any change to the CELL records runs the risk of resetting the cells. You'll find that includes things like NPCs and Power Armor resetting if they are originally from the same cell that was edited. The only way to avoid it, so far, is not to modify any CELL records... but of course that means no actual added content in specific places.

Don't jangle your load order like that. It's likely to actually cause the issue, not cure it. If you magically find the exact plugin that last edited any cells and keep that last, you'll have no issues... but you also won't be able to add or remove anything from any cell (in-game works fine, I meant adding/removing through mods).

This issue isn't going to get better unless Bethesda does something. As it stands, with the CK being released, and it being more possible than ever to add things to cells, I think we're going to see a lot more of this before it gets any better. As far as I am aware, Bethesda denies the issue exists, and I've actually seen them try to sell it as a "feature" which means people will have to make "combo mods"... as if that is a solution at all!

Sorry to be a bummer!

Edited by Jeoshua

Unfortunately so. We've been dealing with this on the PC side for months now. Any change to the CELL records runs the risk of resetting the cells. You'll find that includes things like NPCs and Power Armor resetting if they are originally from the same cell that was edited. The only way to avoid it, so far, is not to modify any CELL records... but of course that means no actual added content in specific places.

Don't jangle your load order like that. It's likely to actually cause the issue, not cure it. If you magically find the exact plugin that last edited any cells and keep that last, you'll have no issues... but you also won't be able to add or remove anything from any cell (in-game works fine, I meant adding/removing through mods).

This issue isn't going to get better unless Bethesda does something. As it stands, with the CK being released, and it being more possible than ever to add things to cells, I think we're going to see a lot more of this before it gets any better. As far as I am aware, Bethesda denies the issue exists.

Sorry to be a bummer.

You're providing very valuable info that I'm sure you're tired of repeating so I appreciate it. I'll fix the load order, as I did jangle it but luckily no issues yet. I found out Snap n Build is an esm file so luckily my loader is smarter than I am and doesn't allow it to be moved even though I try. For some reason I can't see the file extension. I used to mod for Dark Forces II and morrowind but that's about it and it's been a long time.

So far this hasn't caused me any dire issues, they mostly appear to be cosmetic and my items and people seem to be fine. So far. Hopefully it at least stays that way till it gets better.

So basically, one of the mods I added after this Sanctuary mod works in such a way that the cell reset, is that it?

Do you happen to know why it's only partially affecting the area and I have a mix of new/old? It doesn't matter, I'm just curious for the sake of knowledge.

Well... no, not necessarily. It's more likely that files were moved around, or something was updated, and that shifted which CELL records came last and therefore made the game recalculate everything inside. Like, I updated Scrap Everything once and this happened to me in EVERY settlement. And when I realized what happened, and moved Scrap Everything back to where it should have been, it happened again.

Oh! But starting a new game will work perfectly fine. Your game isn't borked. Technically it's only going to be the one reset... but whatever caused this issue may happen again. Usually mod updates do it to me... sounds like you two ran into a Steam update bug. Seriously. Go into your settings for the game in your Steam Library, and tell Steam to never update Fallout 4, and only update it when you know there is a new version out that you feel you really need for some reason. Don't just let Steam update your game, if everything is otherwise working. It leads to problems like this.

I couldn't say exactly why there is an old/new mix... not sure what Sanctuary mod you're using, not sure it matters as I probably never used it. But the Cell Reset bug will set everything back to the way it was, as far as removed objects in settlements... but it doesn't remove new things added since those weren't in the cell to begin with at the start of the game. It's like... it sets everything back to default, then adds the things from your save file, too. Except, if the reset ever happens to power armor (if you CELL reset bug Concord, for example, and go look for the power armor you found there), the power armor will still be wherever you left it, but it will have all of its mods reset to default ones.

Edited by Jeoshua

Well... no, not necessarily. It's more likely that files were moved around, or something was updated, and that shifted which CELL records came last and therefore made the game recalculate everything inside. Like, I updated Scrap Everything once and this happened to me in EVERY settlement. And when I realized what happened, and moved Scrap Everything back to where it should have been, it happened again.

Oh! But starting a new game will work perfectly fine. Your game isn't borked. Technically it's only going to be the one reset... but whatever caused this issue may happen again. Usually mod updates do it to me... sounds like you two ran into a Steam update bug. Seriously. Go into your settings for the game in your Steam Library, and tell Steam to never update Fallout 4, and only update it when you know there is a new version out that you feel you really need for some reason. Don't just let Steam update your game, if everything is otherwise working. It leads to problems like this.

I couldn't say exactly why there is an old/new mix... not sure what Sanctuary mod you're using, not sure it matters as I probably never used it. But the Cell Reset bug will set everything back to the way it was, as far as removed objects in settlements... but it doesn't remove new things added since those weren't in the cell to begin with at the start of the game. It's like... it sets everything back to default, then adds the things from your save file, too. Except, if the reset ever happens to power armor (if you CELL reset bug Concord, for example, and go look for the power armor you found there), the power armor will still be wherever you left it, but it will have all of its mods reset to default ones.

That's part of what bugs me. Today I got this update, over half a gig, but there are no new "patch notes" to refer to, thus whatever this was is, I guess, not a patch,, and I have no idea what precisely was updated. Likely nothing I needed, as you say. It did do one useful thing it seems: stops the intro music once I go into the mods category, which is very nice as previously it kept building up louder and louder when I needed to concentrate.

As you are the author of Scrap Everything and assuming I can get it on Xbox I'll ask: can I just get this, with the current Sanctuary mod, and scrap the debris that has reappeared?