Mods you want to see or create

Zalpha

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't decided whether to make a full blown village/large city which doesn't exist at the beginning of the game, but the player will be actively involved in building the village. It'll start off as a few buildings and if the player makes the right decisions it can grow to a full blown city. The player will be the karl or head of the city - setting taxes, building civil responsibilities, defenses, main resources and trade.

Or I may make a few player castles which you build yourself sort of a mix between morrowind's strongholds and my New Vegas Run the Lucky 38 mod, where you build and expand your house.

I also want to create several small businesses in every city that the player can start and must maintain. You will have to deal with competition, make a profit through taxes, and you'll even be able to link your businesses together. (Your shipping company can make shipping costs cheaper for your woodcutting business).

That sounds amazingly cool, how I would go about making it is having a door/cave that leads to new world cell, with in a town that has the standard castle walls all around and mountains climbing up all around, so basically a secret village hidden in the mountains that will fit into the game and be really cool. I do it like that because currently all major towns are in separate cells. That would then give you your own play ground to make your dream town and have all the features you are looking for…

My favorite player home in Oblivion was ArmoryLab by Tom Supergan. The element I would most like to see created for Skyrim was the set of containers/sorter for alchemical ingredients. You could dump everything in your inventory into its respective container with one menu selection, as well as retrieve ingredients by name or alchemy effect.

That sounds really cool but would be awesome with it built into a compaion or "research assistant" at your base or in shops, just less game braking for me that way.

That sounds amazingly cool, how I would go about making it is having a door/cave that leads to new world cell, with in a town that has the standard castle walls all around and mountains climbing up all around, so basically a secret village hidden in the mountains that will fit into the game and be really cool. I do it like that because currently all major towns are in separate cells. That would then give you your own play ground to make your dream town and have all the features you are looking for…

wrapped in spoiler tags b/c of long paragraph

What I had in mind would be a large flat-ish terrain/field just slightly off the main road. The player would encounter a trader with his dead packhorse and all his supplies. His packhorse (or mammoth?) that was carrying his supplies (lumber, stone) died of natural causes. He's very reluctant to leave because his life savings are in this shipment. Knowing that many more traders will happen by, so he asks the player for protection while he sets up a small kiosk if you will, and ends up selling his whole stock. It's a good location as many traders often stop there and rest, so he decides to open up a small store on the main road. He repays you with partial ownership of his store, Zoom forward, a Nord lady asks for your help to set up a tavern beside to feed and give these traders a place to stay. Same deal as the store, zooming forward, you find yourself a pretty important person in the beginning stages of this settlement. Farmers come for the fertile land, and ask for your protection. You charge taxes, build a guardhouse/barracks, and so on.

Eventually you'll have a massive city as big as the skyrim cities, with stone walls you built yourself, a huge castle you had built, an army of guards, you've built schools, a library, a well, you've hired miners to mine the nearby ores, lumberjacks to collect wood for trade. People moved in your city.

Hopefully it'll be a unique experience but really the game's not even out yet, so next weekend when I play this idea may go out the window for something else I'd do instead.

Truth be told I'm probably more amped to start making a mod for skyrim than actually playing it. I've already got two or three plans like this one fairly laid out.

Truth be told I'm probably more amped to start making a mod for skyrim than actually playing it. I've already got two or three plans like this one fairly laid out.

I feel the same way. I've always liked brainstorming about mods, but never had time to make one myself. Maybe with Skyrim I'll dive in a learn the editor so that I can make my own mods. Scripting sounds a bit daunting, but maybe I could find an experienced scriptor to help me.

Scripting is quite easy to do basic stuff - make a switch flip on a light, open doors, etc.

Although I first started trying to make a mod in 2004 for Oblivion, I never actually made a mod until earlier this year, in my third year of computer programming.

For Oblivion and Fallout, the scripting is as simple as it can get, imo. You don't even need to script to make a good mod, although without scripting you are pretty limited.

If the visuals are lacking like Oblivion, I would like to see one with improved lights, DOF and more blood. Also, the effects can't be forgotten. I would like to see realistic fireballs issuing forth from my uber-realistic fingertips.

Obviously, armor and weapon mods wouldn't be a bad idea. I would like to see my future character wielding Frostmourne while wearing Sauron's armor.