Skyrim listed as 'The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Oblivion listed as 'The Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion

Fallout3 as Fallout3 PC

Dragon Age listed as Dragon age: Origins

Dragon Age 2 as Dragon Age II

The Witcher as The Witcher

The Witcher 2 as The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Fallout New Vegas as Fallout: New Vegas

Morrowind is not listed, However if you can run Oblivion at all it should run well on your system.

The recommendations here are fairly conservative, So if it says you can run it, you probably can. But if it says you can't, you may be able to if you make some small improvements or shut down some background stuff.

They are also not going to say You determinately can run it, only that your computer meets the minimum requirements to play it, and not how well it will play.

I passes. I made it to about have way to the "Recommended" mark.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. Somehow I don't think my very high listed ATI 6870 will play at max settings, I'll probably have to reduce a few settings like AA. I usually remove shadows because I NEVER pay attention to them, so I usually like to boost my performance that way.

Things I like to keep on max (Textures, character models, spell detail) are never turned down, but shadows and small details I willingly turn off or to low.

I'd highly recommend turning off things you don't really pay attention to in order to get a higher average FPS. It's great if you can play the game at 60 FPS for 50 seconds out of 60 seconds, but those 10 seconds where you drop down to 20-30 FPS, that's all you will remember, so I suggest you try to increase your MINIMUM FPS and not your MAX.

I have an 8800GT, but I am thinking about upgrading before Friday to a geforce GTX 460. Decisions, decisions. Should I spend the extra $140? Or just hope for the best?

Absolutely not. Your 8800GT is going to bumpcrack and die some day anyway so just wait till then. Nvidia does planned obsolescence like HP they just screwed up with precisly timing it.

Lol. Somehow I don't think my very high listed ATI 6870 will play at max settings, I'll probably have to reduce a few settings like AA. I usually remove shadows because I NEVER pay attention to them, so I usually like to boost my performance that way.

Things I like to keep on max (Textures, character models, spell detail) are never turned down, but shadows and small details I willingly turn off or to low.

I'd highly recommend turning off things you don't really pay attention to in order to get a higher average FPS. It's great if you can play the game at 60 FPS for 50 seconds out of 60 seconds, but those 10 seconds where you drop down to 20-30 FPS, that's all you will remember, so I suggest you try to increase your MINIMUM FPS and not your MAX.

Spell details are simply a turd storm of massive guassian particle simulations. I always turn those down to medium or low. And I highly doubt skyrim will even ALLOW you to attempt to set it's engine to 60fps. You can't set oblivion engine to that because it's just not necessary. I declock my 5550 to 450mhz and turned ram from 1050 to 900 on oblivion because the engine would only tax gpu to 80 percent on rare occasions with those speeds and would actually spend quite a bit of time jumping into 2d clocks. 8800gt's and 5770's actually play the game over half the time on 2d clocks. Basically I just set my 5550 to stay around 58 to 68 c as it's fanless with one low speed quiet case fan. If I set spell detail up that high I couldn't get away with it. Or if I ran windows 7 I couldn't get away with that at ALL.

The only unknown on skyrim is how much cpu time the npc ai is going to need. If it needs a lot you're going to have to have extra gpu power to be able to keep it from grabbing the system all the time as a bus master and locking the cpu out of processing.

What I want to know is what have they done on the PC to make it a PC game. I dont play console games on my console, since I found it looks old even when it wasnt. Oblivion was the game that actually got me to buy a new gaming PC at the time and my XBox has stayed put since. I did occasionally rent the odd game if kids were coming over from one of the extended family but I would no more buy games for the Xbox that I would a fish a unicycle. Its just pointless, they all feel and look the same, tend be extremely linear and are over in a weekend. Saved thousands by renting. The difference being, with the PC i buy games.

However, ever since reading that this is coded for console and therefore already out of date, I realised that Oblivion was a console game too, and thanks to the modding community it actually was a classic, maybe even a legendary game on the PC although the vanilla game was even then pretty medicore. What they did do however, was to create a beautiful, open environment and left it open for community development. This turned a MMRPG (massively mediocre rpg) to a legendary classic. Not necessarily as an RPG but as a world builder to create the game exactly as you wanted it, thanks to the modders.

Ever since I first heard about it it has blown my mind that they coded for a product slated to be replaced in a couple of years. Rumours abound about when the xbox 720 is turning up and its believed its going to be announced at one of the big shows in 2013. Given the time during which Oblivon has sold and been relevant, limiting the shelf life like this seems a bit odd. I know these companies have a habit of creating their own internal brainwashing machine as do most corporates but surely there is someone at the top allowed to be objective. Dont they read the same blogs as everyone else. The XBox hardware lifespan has been very obviously artificially extended to meet a revenue requirement. Played Fallout 3 on the Xbox? OMG its disgraceful and if you ask most of the people I know on LIVE what they think of Bethesda? Its not a polite response (though you can probably thank brink for that). Personally, I think it would pay to adopt a similar strategy to EA with BF3. Make a great game, do a good job with the engine, make it platform appropriate after creating the showcase able to demonstrate your USP's.

I just hope the modding community can do their magic once again and give me the game I have been waiting literally years for. Fortunately, after comments in the media, my expectations have dramatically realigned. 3 days to find out.

In the meantime, EA have done a phenominal job for PC gamers with BF3. I never ever thought I would have cause to thank EA for anything but credit where credits due. Its designed with a specific understanding of PC's capabilities and it shows. What a change 2011 has been. EA gone from being an evil grasping corporation, to an evil grasping corporation with spyware and an engine which is the best possible engine for developing a PC game at the moment. (genre specific maybe). Whille Bethesda, who were love by my clan and I as a great company. Released games like brink which were pretty much awful for anyone with 2 braincells to rub together. In this case, change hasnt been bad as it has bought frostbyte 2.

Edited by Arioch13

System requirements lab is telling me that I can't even run it on recommended.

I'm pretty sure it's lying to me.

PS : Activision replaced EA as the devil of developers. EA has actually done rather well lately in my opinion.

Edited by DyingAtheist

I have an 8800GT, but I am thinking about upgrading before Friday to a geforce GTX 460. Decisions, decisions. Should I spend the extra $140? Or just hope for the best?

Absolutely not. Your 8800GT is going to bumpcrack and die some day anyway so just wait till then. Nvidia does planned obsolescence like HP they just screwed up with precisly timing it.

I did some research and it seems most of the reviews on newegg said their 8800GT died after 3 years. I've had mine for a little over 3 years, so I'm on borrowed time now. I don't want it dying on me while just starting to play Skyrim, because that's just how sh*t happens. So I decided to get the new card.

Edited by davofwater

I dont know a lot about computers so maybe you guys can help me? I have an HP Pavilion G6 quad core with AMD Radeon graphics, and i went to that can u run it site and it passes the minumum specs but not recomended, even though the only thing it says fails is video card. But if you read it it says recomended pixel shader 3 and i have 5, and it says recomended direct x 9 and i have 11? what gives? For almost every other game it goes all the way accross the screen for games like, Call of Duty, Crysis 1,2 and everything else except Skyrim and Battlefield just say need to upgrade video catd even though it say my specs are better.

Hello all. I find that I am unwilling to play Skyrim on my current rig. I am the type that just won't be happy unless I can max all the eye candy goodness. I'm looking at purchasing an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Superclocked 2048 MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card 02G-P3-1469-KR and an appropriate power supply.

I would appreciate some opinions concerning the 2gb of video memory. Planning for the future and all the lovely hi-res textures that are sure to soon be available, 2gb seemed like a good idea. However, I can get basically the same card with 1gb VRAM for about $50 less (which is significant, given my current financial status). Do you think the extra gig of ram will be useful, or is it a needless expenditure?