Rapid Eye Movement

ArtKing1239

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laraine watched the mass of power and muscle before her. The creature was unlike anything she had seen before. She had not seen it fight and yet she knew from its appearance that it was bred to kill. The perfect slaughtering machine.

It made her feel frail and weak. And it terrified her. What was it doing here? Suddenly she was glad for the Nord next to her, she could feel the heat from his body.

Laraine swallowed and side-stepped closer to Urik. "No...Does it comprehend our speech?"

(OOC: What happened to the posts? Ah, well)

Urik sighed with relief when the creature left, and sat on the ground. He put his axe back behind his back, slipping it's head into a half-sheath, which had a hole in it for the handle to slip through. He looked at Laraine to see if she was okay, and then back at the stairs, where the creature had appeared. There was a flourescent green substance trailing away from where the creature had been standing. He looked at Laraine this time, a cunning twinkle in his eyes.

"You want to follow that trail, my friend?"

Laraine looked to the Nord and then to the green fluid. She smiled wryly, elongated canines shining in the dim candle light. She walked over to her bed, where lay a pile of dark fabrics. She lifted the cloak and slung it about herself. Beneath this lay a silver mask, and two silver gauntlets. The gauntlets wrapped around her forearms, the heel of her palm, thickest over the knuckles. They did not continue over her fingers.

Laraine donned the mask and attatched the gauntlets. "Certainly. Lets see what kind of trouble we can get ourselves into..." she said darkly.

Urik nodded approval, and headed off with Laraine. He didn't see why she chose to hide her beautiful face, at first. It then dawned on him that... perhaps others hadn't treated her as kindly in the past. He felt differently, though. He was drawn to her, rather than appauled or repelled by her. He sensed that there might be an angle to Laraine he wasn't percieving, something about her he didn't know. He wanted to know... but kept his thoughts to himself. He pulled his axe out, and attached a quick release strap to it that he had made. That way, he could sling it about his front, and if danger came near it would be easily accessable. The pair made their way along.

"So, how long have you been a vampire?" Urik asked.

Laraine turned her masked gaze down upon his question. Her memory swam a bit....yes how long had it been? How long have I been drinking from the darkness.... She swallowed, trying to remember. Every night for ages had been just like the last, hiding until nightfall, seeking victims, sating her thirst...becoming digusted with her existance, resolving never to feed again...then bloodlust driving her to madness, murder, and beginning the cycle over again....

She remembered her Order with a pang of pain....that was a time when she still felt remorse.....it felt eternities ago....how long had it been?

Laraine delved deeper into her past, but it would not reveal itself. Above all she saw hundreds of paled, macabre faces, ruby red smeared over their necks... with a churn of her stomach she recalled the wailings and the terror of watching her Order errupt in flames, watching her Masters and acquaintances incinerate in agony while their flesh burned and their eyes steamed...

She remembered the dream.....

Laraine shook her head and steadied herself, feeling ill.

"For longer than I can remember..."She said quitely.

Urik met her statement with a strong "..."

She seemed put off by talking about it, so he quit asking. He wished he could help her somehow, as she seemed hollow, drained. He thought it was ironic, that a vampire could feel mentally drained. She also, however, seemed to show a tender side, more human side, occasionally. Urik, again, wished he could help her. He slipped, then, and immediately shut his big mouth.

"I want to help you," he said. He realized the fallacy in this. He could not make make her change. Perhaps she liked it this way, perhaps not... it didn't matter. He wanted to help, but, on the other hand, didn't want to make her something she didn't want to be. 'All this emotion is getting to my head, literally,' he thought. 'If I don't kill something soon, I might turn into Crassius Curio.'

Laraine turned her masked face towards him, her eyebrows were raised and her mouth curled into a cruel smile, though he could not see.

She snorted. Help me? she thought, I know how you can help me!

Under any other circumstances, she would have finished the thought. Yet somehow she had not the heart to finish thinking it, non-the-less go through with it. It felt so odd, some random occurance that was seemingly nothing imprinted so powerfully on her.

Through all the years of suspicion and betrayl she was somehow tempted to place trust in sincerity. And the utter madness of the thought amused her. Words came to her mouth that she had not used in ages.

"Thank you"

Urik was caught off-guard by her reply, and merely grunted, attempting to seem disaffected and neutral. He meaninglessly arranged his clothes and axe, as if trying to seem busy.

"Well, we've been on this path awhile. Trail should end soon," he said. He was blushing, and looked away. It was then that he noticed a brush pile in the path. It looked a bit... off. He examined it further. It was made of leaves that weren't indiginous to the area, and had an odd look to it. He caught a nasty vibe, and stopped on the trail, picking up a stone. He threw it squarely at the center of the pile, which vanished. The stone fell into a pit. Just then, three men walked from around the bend, scraggly-looking types who wore cloaks and dingy attire. The leader held two smart looking knives in his hands, and stopped a couple feet from Urik.

"'Ello, love. What's a pretty lady like you doing with a brute like 'im, eh?" He had a drunken swagger about him, and eyed Laraine lecherously. Urik didn't like that. He stepped forward, andpulled his axe from its sling.

"'Ey, you big *censored*, back off, 'fore I cut ya," the man said. He then lunged at Urik, who sidestepped him and laid the flat of his axe across the man's back. He fell to the ground, and Urik buried it in him, blood spraying onto his face. He went into a rage, and cleaved the man's arms and legs. Urik turned to Laraine, eyes wild.

"I'll handle one, you take the other." He laughed cruelly, and ascended upon the other, thrusting his axe into the man, making him double over and fall to a knell. Urik dropped his axe and used both arms to pummel the man to death. He beat him until the man felt pulpy, and blood began to spray onto Urik's arms. He bellowed all the while, and collapsed suddenly, unconcious, leaving Laraine to fight the other.

Archived