• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

dogtown1

dogtown1

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
my son loves this game and I was wondering if anybody has more info on the unreal toolset that is coming out for it
looks like it could be fun to edit some monster models :biggrin:
I assume they are smd models

Vagrant0

Vagrant0

relic of a by-gone age

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,491 posts

Jim...the game is quite unintuitive for new-comers. I only just worked out today, for example, that different bows/guns have different effects. For example bone bows have a railgun effect, gattling guns fire faster, multi-bows shoot multiple shots at once. Nothing in the game tells you that, there's no special item stat or anything that lets you know, the Wiki told me that. So it'll take some getting used to and some researching!

If you aren't already, play online at least a bit. You will learn so much watching how others do things. That's the great thing about TD's, there's lots of ways to do things, and you'll always be amazed at the methods people use to win.

Ah right I was just going by the numbers and the value, a few tools tips wouldn't hurt. I've never played a TD game before so I'm starting as a complete noob, I'm avoiding online at the moment because I'll be more of a liability than a help. I made the mistake of using all my mana on traps and not saving any for upgrades, I'm going to replay some of earlier maps so I can get some upgrades. Anyway thanks for the advice, it should help things along, I don't mind failing as long as I'm learning at the same time.

Might want to try using the wizard type guy for awhile so you can get some of the basics of tower defense down. There's also a little less variation in the different types of weapons from what i saw so there's less guesswork. Also if you get him high enough, you can just build with one character and swap out to the other for fairly easy grinding.

From your item box and character screen you can click on any item to bring up item stats, each class's weapon has their own types of buffs as well as the usual damage bonuses.

JimboUK

JimboUK

There's someone watching me, I can tell.

• Premium Member
  • 44,932 posts
Yeah I switched to the little wizard guy yesterday and found it a lot easier, I've upgraded stuff as well this time which helps.

Vagrant0

Vagrant0

relic of a by-gone age

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,491 posts
Just found out, once you have yourself reasonably established, do one of the earlier maps in survival or pure strategy mode. It starts off slow, but you get lots of exp and drops (that you can just sell between rounds (make sure you lock anything you don't want to lose)). Keep in mind that things start to scale quite quickly after the normal round limit for that map, so build with raw numbers in mind, not just where the boss will come out.

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,115 posts
Similarly any loot you leave on the floor between rounds gets sold for mana (and placed in your mana bank) so don't worry about looting crap stuff or stuff that isn't for you. Realistically, unless you're looking for something specific, press shift and look on the map for any green loot items (which are items that are supposed to be better than your current item) and if you don't see any, ignore loot and continue doing what you're doing.

Early levels I liked to do Magus Quarters on survival. You need a level 20 or so Squire just to block creeps, but after that it's clean sailing for quite a few waves. Once you get higher level you can do ramparts on hard, gives you about 140k XP in 10 mins. Which is about level 40 in an hour or so.

Other thing to note is: higher difficulty, better loot....later maps, better loot. So if you're doing the early maps you won't get as good loot as you would if you're doing the later maps.

Vagrant0

Vagrant0

relic of a by-gone age

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,491 posts

Similarly any loot you leave on the floor between rounds gets sold for mana (and placed in your mana bank) so don't worry about looting crap stuff or stuff that isn't for you. Realistically, unless you're looking for something specific, press shift and look on the map for any green loot items (which are items that are supposed to be better than your current item) and if you don't see any, ignore loot and continue doing what you're doing.

Early levels I liked to do Magus Quarters on survival. You need a level 20 or so Squire just to block creeps, but after that it's clean sailing for quite a few waves. Once you get higher level you can do ramparts on hard, gives you about 140k XP in 10 mins. Which is about level 40 in an hour or so.

Other thing to note is: higher difficulty, better loot....later maps, better loot. So if you're doing the early maps you won't get as good loot as you would if you're doing the later maps.

Except in my case... Still sub 20 and playing solo. At that point, 100k+ banked mana is still pretty good for a few hours of playtime.

hoofhearted4

hoofhearted4

I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds

• Premium Member
  • 3,061 posts
im not even sure if ive ever even heard of it. i might have seen it rumaging through Steam but just ignored it. but since it has its own Nexus site now i 'spose i gotta take a look at it now!

JimboUK

JimboUK

There's someone watching me, I can tell.

• Premium Member
  • 44,932 posts

im not even sure if ive ever even heard of it. i might have seen it rumaging through Steam but just ignored it. but since it has its own Nexus site now i 'spose i gotta take a look at it now!

I was the same, I saw it but didn't really bother looking into it. It was only seeing a Nexus site for it that made me have a think about it, I'm glad I did because it's really addictive and giving me something to do while waiting for Skyrim.

rawr234

rawr234

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This game has such huge replay value, just like team fortress 2, the developers seem to care (at the moment) about updating and patching their game, which in my eyes is a plus since most developers just release a game and maybe release a patch or two fixing bugs then move onto the next game with a higher number.

hoofhearted4

hoofhearted4

I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds

• Premium Member
  • 3,061 posts
well i would have like to have played, but i cant. the default mapping makes the action wheel my middle mouse button (mouse wheel button) and that is broken on my mouse (its wireless and i think ive dropped it too many times aha) and as far as i can tell you cant change the button mapping (at least in the demo) and because of that i cant try the game.

maybe if you can change the button mapping in the full game id consider buying it. its not too expensive but if you cant change the mapping, then i cant play the game :/

Page loaded in: 1.070 seconds