Oblivion crash at startup

Terramaris

Okay so I installed some mods yesterday and went to play oblivion, it crashed when I click "create new game" I tried without mods (just default oblivion and SI), same problem. I uninstalled it and went to reinstall it, disc was too bad scratched. So I went to buy a disc cleaner, didn't help so I said "screw it" and bought a copy of steam since three game stores near my house stopped sellling oblivion to sell skyrim on friday.

I installed oblivon GOTY + OBSE for Steam... crashed. I took off the OBSE for Steam loader, still crashed (no mods active except the OFFICAL dlc). I think the universe hates me that or I went into a house of mirrors and shotup the place because thats the only way I could have this much bad luck with a single game. Any idea's on how to fix it? (Besides an exorcisim).

Edited by freedom613

It's possible the game didn't uninstall properly The in game uninstaller leaves behind some registry entries that can cause reinstall problems.

Also, the steam version puts the game files in different places than the DVD version.

Try this uninstaller, then try reinstalling the steam version.

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the WIKI section of the Nexus

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Oblivion_reinstall_procedure

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

Thanks, I will try it and see what happens. I so hope it works, as much as skyrim looks good. Oblivion has the best replay value (so many mods, so little time.) Okay here is hoping I get further then the bethesda softworks screen when it finishes installing. Edited by freedom613

What windows version and where did you install steam and the game?

If you have Vista or Windows 7, install steam and oblivion outside of the program files folder. Perhaps make a folder at C:\Games\ or something like that to install steam and Oblivion. Once you do that, try the game without installing OBSE first to be sure it works. If it still isn't running, look at minimum system specs to be sure you meet them.

I am using Windows 7 and steam is installed to a folder on my desktop called "Programz". I did a install of oblivion (just finished) without anything, deleted; meshes, textures, ect. Complete vanilla. Crashed right after the Bethesda softworks screen.

I surpass the specs (before I uninstalled I could run; better cities, oblivion, and quarls at max specs with little lag) so thats not the problem. Oblivion was fine till a few days ago when my video card died. I got a new one, installed a few mods, and boom my problem. (The new video card is better then my old one so that can't be the problem) Its the oddest thing.

I know that when i used to uninstall/reinstall oblivion the folder in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Games was still left over and i realized that if i left those files there my game wouldn't start. After deleting them my game was able to start up fine. Maybe try that?

I know that when i used to uninstall/reinstall oblivion the folder in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Games was still left over and i realized that if i left those files there my game wouldn't start. After deleting them my game was able to start up fine. Maybe try that?

Just deleting "Oblivion.ini" should be sufficient here. You really shouldn't have to delete all of your old saves etc.!