Fallout NV Black screen on startup

833nirassi

Help please!

I can't seem to play Fallout New Vegas. Everytime I start the game (whether from the Launcher, or not, or from NVSE loader, or from FOMM) there will just be a black screen! I have seen this help request a lot in the internet but so far the solutions that were shown doesn't work. I use lots of mods, but I've checked carefully through files and by checking all the Nexus community talk and I think this isn't mod-related. What I've already tried:

-Updating my drivers

-Re-installing Fallout New Vegas completely

-Running FNV without mods

-Re-installing Steam completely

-Deleting everything and downloading everything back again

-Updating my drivers

-Changing quality settings

-Checking mod conflicts

-Checking errors

-Updating my drivers

You will have noticed I mentioned updating my drivers three times; it's that most solutions on the Internet tell me to do that. So far it hasn't worked, but amazingly even without the required specs the game worked perfectly for years until... this month. So please help!

Some info, by the way:

------------------

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: HP ProBook 4320s

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 1904MB RAM

Page File: 1545MB used, 2260MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: Intel® HD Graphics

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel® HD Graphics (Core i3)

DAC type: Internal

Display Memory: 759 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 695 MB

Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Id: LGD01DA

Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.001Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: igdumdx32.dll,igd10umd32.dll

Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2086 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2086

DDI Version: 10

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 2/20/2010 09:14:06, 564224 bytes

Alright; a question, when you get the black screen does the game CTD as well? Or does it just freeze at the black screen?

When you update your drivers; especially your GPU, make sure to always get rid of remnants left over from the older drivers to avoid conflict between drivers. If your updating your driver through STEAM; DONT! The best method of updating drivers is to manually update them. Go to the corresponding website of whatever driver you wish to update; download the package and just install. Make sure to follow the simple rules of uninstalling older drivers first before you install any new drivers. If you dont know what i mean; i suggest you google it, there are tons of information out there. Get back to me on the first question. Goodluck mate :)

Usually, if the game freezes as it starts loading, it's due to a missing or incorrectly referenced ESM (master file).

I didn't see anything in your post above about starting the game with NO MODS at all. You might try starting the game with no mods what-so-ever in the "data" folder.

Thanks really really much Sunnie! :happy:

I am such a moron to not check the ESM files! :dry:

I didn't try running it completely without any mods though, what I tried first was completely deleting any last few mods I downloaded before I played. Turns out it was a whole stack of companion creation mods that broke the game! Now my game works! Thanks to you! ;D ;D ;D

Problem is I can't remember the mods that caused the problems, so I can't troubleshoot it for others, although I'm confident it had something to do with NCCS, the NosCo Companion System.

Dang. :wallbash:

Just great. Right after I thought I fixed everything, it's now that I have a crash when loading a game. *sigh*

Solution please?

Tried some already; they didn't work. Wasn't mod conflict and definitely wasn't the drivers.

Starting a new game works, although I really really really do not want to start a new game. One of my saves is used for a webcomic I'm regularly updating, and it will be pretty much impossible to recreate the character's face again.

Edited by 833nirassi

I Have the same issues. Im not a master mod guy or anything but, I did build my PC. Im about 8 deep now and I know its not hardaware issues... I just installed FOMM and if I could get it to work I would love it to death.

When I start the game using FOMM it goes black screen but at least I get the error. I do have to Ctrl/alt/delete to shut it out though.

Do I need to patch it to get FOMM to work. I installed "Secret Hideout" and it did the same thing as when I installed N-Skies... I Know they went in correctly but the game wont start unless I uncheck them.

Any advice would be helpful and GREATLY appreciated...

I Have the same issues. Im not a master mod guy or anything but, I did build my PC. Im about 8 deep now and I know its not hardaware issues... I just installed FOMM and if I could get it to work I would love it to death.

When I start the game using FOMM it goes black screen but at least I get the error. I do have to Ctrl/alt/delete to shut it out though.

Do I need to patch it to get FOMM to work. I installed "Secret Hideout" and it did the same thing as when I installed N-Skies... I Know they went in correctly but the game wont start unless I uncheck them.

Any advice would be helpful and GREATLY appreciated...

Missing master files.

Old/outdated mods.

• 1 year later...

Same i have NVSE and enclave commander when I start black screen then not responding EDIT: damnit I posted in a two year old thread

Go ahead and start a new topic on your problem - I'll close this one to prevent confusion. :thumbsup:

Bben46

Edited by bben46