ideas to protect your mods? fallout 4

illidari1221

I came up with this system idea a while ago, but it never caught up with the hot threads, but I think we could have a good system installed to prevent stolen mod uploads to Bethesda.net.

The inspiration for this system comes from Youtube's Content ID, a system that helps copyright owners detect and remove illegal videos from the site, that contain content owned by them that has been uploaded without their express permission, or a license. The system is main composed of a database where copyright holders can upload various bits of their content, which can include audio recordings, clips from TV shows or movies, etc. Videos uploaded to Youtube are scanned against material stored in the database. If a match is found, a notification is generated and delivered to the author of the video with the stolen content. The original author of the content reviews the Content ID claim, where they can either decide to have the Youtube team remove the offending video, keep it up, or make money off of it.

Bethesda.net could have a similar system in place to help deter mod theft. Here's the basic overview: One day, you decide to upload a mod to Bethesda.net. Once you click the upload button, it doesn't mean that your mod instantly appears on the main page, ready for download. First, before people can download and comment on your file, it first must undergo a mandatory approval process, where the mod's content is scanned thoroughly, file by file against a database of samples of content, uploaded by mod authors, which can include 3D models, textures, ESP and ESM plugin files, plus sound effects and music. If the system finds a match, the file is submitted for review by a moderator, who will closely examine the content to search for stolen content. If they find content that has been stolen without permission from the author, the file is rejected from the site. The file is approved if sufficient evidence is found that permission was granted to the uploader from the author to use their assets or reupload them, or if they state that their work is open-source and can be freely uploaded. The moderators also will check for credits on the mod's description thanking the author, if they state that they must be credited if you use parts of their work in your mods. If none of those are found, you are not allowed to upload that mod to the database. If you attempt to bypass or manipulate the system, you may be penalized, or banned from the site. Your file does not need to be reviewed if there are no matches found (your own work.) It can help detect mod thieves who claim other's work as their own as the approval process helps prove them wrong. Once the process has completed, the uploader receives a message from a moderator explaining if their file was approved or rejected. If the file was rejected, then the reason will explained why the mod was rejected.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am beginning to believe that we need a sticky on fallouts and skyrims page, on how to drm your mods. It's the only way Beth will move their asses on their own scheme to stop piracy.

Yes, its annoying that mod authors have to take the time to do it, but once pirates start uploading mods that destroy saved games, or create giant deathclaws that molest them, beth will have to move fast to save their investment.

Well, I am beginning to believe that we need a sticky on fallouts and skyrims page, on how to drm your mods. It's the only way Beth will move their asses on their own scheme to stop piracy.

Yes, its annoying that mod authors have to take the time to do it, but once pirates start uploading mods that destroy saved games, or create giant deathclaws that molest them, beth will have to move fast to save their investment.

Did you miss the part about DRM not working? Because that's a pretty big part of it.

I think that using FS4E would be fairly easy to defeat assuming the mod didn't actually need F4SE to function and the dependency was only a means of protection. Except most people copying mods, can't mod themselves, nor can they script... They wouldn't be able to defeat that as easily. They'd need someone that could actually mod. All you'd have to do is making it depend on F4SE functions. Set a string to the F4SE version but leave it blank, if the string is blank then the mod is rendered useless, otherwise, the mod continues to load. and F4SE is a pretty standard thing for most modders. I think it's a bit silly to have to place DRM on mods, but the fact that mods are being uploaded without permission and those uploaders claiming them as their own makes them look really bad to quite a few people, and for a reason.

All that's needed to render a mod unusable by the console market is to add a script that uses a F4SE function call. All that's needed for a "mod pirate" to crack this DRM is removing the function call. For mods that are intrinsically dependent on F4SE? This is basically impossible. For everything else (i.e. the majority of mods), this is trivial to fix without even needing to open the Creation Kit. There are other topics discussing the actual technical details, advantages, and disadvantages to several methods including F4SE dependency and it might be worth taking a look at them. The Vaporware DRM threads are probably a good place if you're interested.

I came up with this system idea a while ago, but it never caught up with the hot threads, but I think we could have a good system installed to prevent stolen mod uploads to Bethesda.net.

The inspiration for this system comes from Youtube's Content ID, a system that helps copyright owners detect and remove illegal videos from the site, that contain content owned by them that has been uploaded without their express permission, or a license. The system is main composed of a database where copyright holders can upload various bits of their content, which can include audio recordings, clips from TV shows or movies, etc. Videos uploaded to Youtube are scanned against material stored in the database. If a match is found, a notification is generated and delivered to the author of the video with the stolen content. The original author of the content reviews the Content ID claim, where they can either decide to have the Youtube team remove the offending video, keep it up, or make money off of it.

Bethesda.net could have a similar system in place to help deter mod theft. Here's the basic overview: One day, you decide to upload a mod to Bethesda.net. Once you click the upload button, it doesn't mean that your mod instantly appears on the main page, ready for download. First, before people can download and comment on your file, it first must undergo a mandatory approval process, where the mod's content is scanned thoroughly, file by file against a database of samples of content, uploaded by mod authors, which can include 3D models, textures, ESP and ESM plugin files, plus sound effects and music. If the system finds a match, the file is submitted for review by a moderator, who will closely examine the content to search for stolen content. If they find content that has been stolen without permission from the author, the file is rejected from the site. The file is approved if sufficient evidence is found that permission was granted to the uploader from the author to use their assets or reupload them, or if they state that their work is open-source and can be freely uploaded. The moderators also will check for credits on the mod's description thanking the author, if they state that they must be credited if you use parts of their work in your mods. If none of those are found, you are not allowed to upload that mod to the database. If you attempt to bypass or manipulate the system, you may be penalized, or banned from the site. Your file does not need to be reviewed if there are no matches found (your own work.) It can help detect mod thieves who claim other's work as their own as the approval process helps prove them wrong. Once the process has completed, the uploader receives a message from a moderator explaining if their file was approved or rejected. If the file was rejected, then the reason will explained why the mod was rejected.

You mean the YouTube content id system that's considered highly contentious last time I checked?

It's not a good idea. It's also not likely to be feasible on the scale Bethesda is working at. It's also incredibly fragile. Unlike YouTube's content id system, Bethesda has to work with just random people for lack of a better word. You quickly run into the same problem with them insanely asking for a DMCA complaint: how do they verify this is the original author? Another issue: what happens when somebody tricks Bethesda by uploading somebody's mod content first and claiming it as their own? There are a lot of flaws that would make this ineffectual at best and destructive at worst.

There's really no reason for them to not just have a report system with a team of active moderators that review reports in a timely fashion. Anything else is probably jumping the shark until that system shows itself ineffectual.

Edited by NorthWolf

Thats true. And I'm sure people where stealing mods before this console issue poped up. I have always considered Mods as sort of a freebie when it comes to digital media. The only thing that bothers me is a author that produces high quality and original materials, should get proper recognition.

since I'm really lazy I would be happy if someone did the work for me as long as they posted the source link. and as a consumer, If I really like their product I would like to look at there other works as well. IT's the least anyone can do. but reupload mods again and again and trying to hide them by not uploading pictures and changing the name slightly so it wont get taken down is straight up theft because the uploader Knows what they are doing and are trying to avoid detection.

At the risk of being digitally stoned, here is a solution that will work. But EVERYONE is going to hate it.

Require a credit card when registering users and verify the credit card. Folks will be unlikely to steal when they have lost their anonymity.

At the risk of being digitally stoned, here is a solution that will work. But EVERYONE is going to hate it.

Require a credit card when registering users and verify the credit card. Folks will be unlikely to steal when they have lost their anonymity.

Bethesda would get angry at that.

Also, the argument that the mod thieves must be PC users is an example of the goldfish fallacy; you're arguing that because a PC is required to use the Creation Kit, the mod thieves must all be PC gamers. While this may be the case in some instances, it is false most of the time.

Also, the argument that the mod thieves must be PC users is an example of the goldfish fallacy; you're arguing that because a PC is required to use the Creation Kit, the mod thieves must all be PC gamers. While this may be the case in some instances, it is false most of the time.

I think you made a bad assumption about where in the process I put the credit card. In order to download mods from Nexus, you must be a registered user. And that is the point in the process I was addressing.

I think you made a bad assumption about where in the process I put the credit card. In order to download mods from Nexus, you must be a registered user. And that is the point in the process I was addressing.

Personally, I wouldn't give Nexus my credit card info (and neither would a lot of other people.) Sure, you'd drive away mod thieves, but also everyone else.

Personally, I wouldn't give Nexus my credit card info (and neither would a lot of other people.) Sure, you'd drive away mod thieves, but also everyone else.

Imaging that. Why do you think I said everyone would hate it right up front?