[LE] XWM audio format?

apSion

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, i ve done all you say, Kentoss, but how can you run the "convert_xwm_to_wav.bat" at the end? I don t understand how we can "run" a text file. Thanks for answer... ;)

It is quite likely Windows is hiding the .txt file extension from you. So if you create a new text file called "runme.bat", and it shows that it is a text file, it is quite likely the true name is "runme.bat.txt"

To fix this problem, you need to modify Windows to show you the extensions of all files (it typically hides extensions of just known file types).

For Windows 7 (and probably Vista), follow these steps to unhide the file extension:

1. Click Start --> Control Panel
  2. Folder Options
  3. Click the "View" tab
  4. Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
  5. Click Ok

For Windows XP, open Windows Explorer, click View, Options and you can find a similar setting there IIRC.

Excellent guide Kentoss!

If anyone wants to change .wav files into .xwm so they can be played in game all you have to do is open up the .bat file and change this -

for /r . %%T IN (*.xwm) do @xWMAEncode.exe "%%T" "%%~pT%%~nT.wav"

To this -

for /r . %%T IN (*.wav) do @xWMAEncode.exe "%%T" "%%~pT%%~nT.xwm"

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I took the time yesterday to look into extracting the .xwm files from the .fuz files found in the voice BSAs. Upon initial inspection in a hex editor I noticed that the lip syncing data and the xwm file are basically just crammed together into the one fuz file. I then searched around to see if anyone else had done anything in regards to pulling out the xwm part of the fuz file, which is when I found a python script by liag247 on this post.

Problem with it is that it only worked on one folder at a time, which is kind of inconvenient as there are about 104 of them. So I modified it to work recursively when run from a root directory. I also needed to put another script called argparse.py in the same directory or else it would not work at all. Once the script ran (it took maybe 20 minutes on my Core i7 machine), it had all the xwm files ready to be converted to wav, so I ran my previous batch file again and (again, after about 20 minutes) I had all of the voices neatly organized into wav files that I could play back.

Here's another quick tutorial as an addition to my last one (assuming you've followed all the steps to the last one). You will also require a python installation for this to work.

1. Use your BSA unpacker utility to extract the content from Skyrim - Voices.bsa and optionally Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa (this contains Esbern's vocals by the talented Max Von Sydow). Preferably, extract them to the same folder you extracted the other sounds to. NOTE: There are A LOT of files in these archives, so give your computer time to do it's thing (and hope it doesn't become unresponsive).

2. Download this modified fuz2xwm.py file (again, originally created by liag247, so thank him for his work), and this argparse.py file in case you don't already have argparse available in python. Put both of these files into the same folder you have your xWMAEncode.exe and convert_xwm_to_wav.bat files.

3. Run fuz2xwm.py, and let it finish. It will take a long time, this is normal, as there are a lot of files to process.

4. Once finished, you'll have both .fuz and .xwm files in each of the subfolders within your voices/skyrim.esm/ directory. Now all we need to do is run convert_xwm_to_wav.bat and let it finish (there probably will be a few errors that pop up, these are just some files with malformed xwms, most likely. There's maybe 4 or 5 that don't get converted out of the thousands that are there, so I wouldn't sweat it).

Once that's done, each directory in the voices/skyrim.esm/ folder will have the .fuz files, the .xwm files and the .wav files, to do with what you wish. Contact liag247 if you figure out how to modify a fuz file and put it back in the game.

ALSO NOTE: If you do ALL of the voices, make sure you have room on your drive. After doing all these steps with every file in both Skyrim - Voices.bsa and Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa, my voices folder is 22.1 GB in size, and contains 184 947 files. Just a heads up.

http://i.imgur.com/sT7oq.png

this is a great tutorial ^^ i was converting happily from wav to xwm but there are some songs that wont work

when i try to convert the wav to xwm, it just says failed and closes quickly.

any help? please :)

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2605/failedhd.jpg

Edited by GammaBomb

Uh, there's really no need to download the DirectX SDK, Mediacoder can convert xwm files just fine. Here's the details of one of the files according to Mediacoder:

File: mus_sovngarde_chant_lp.xwm

Audio(0): wmav2

Bitrate: 48 kbps

Sample Rate: 44100

Channel: Stereo (2)

Length: 211 seconds

To convert the audio to another format, make sure to set "Audio Source" to Ffmpeg, and the Container type to "Default". Other than that, just choose whatever codec you want and convert away.

Edited by GetOutOfBox